Ares Games

Thread: How quickly they grow up...

Default How quickly they grow up...

My son Andrew, just back from bivouac. Somewhat exhausted.

Those who attended Cancon a few years ago will remember him as a boy. An avid WGF gamer, like both of his parents.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo0987_001.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	276.8 KB 
ID:	204975

Yes, don't blink! They grow exponentially as we grow younger!

Where did the bivouac?

Burma?

Thought you throwed all the Japs out.

My eldest daughter will be 12 in two weeks. She's nearly as tall as my wife.

Sometime you have to feed them with water and rice only to keep them in an acceptable size.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 08-21-2016 at 03:31.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Great pic - he does look knackered - lovely camo, too...what organization was he on bivouac with?

My older son turns 21 this September - seems only yesterday...

Enjoy your lad as much as possible (as I'm sure you do!) - time really does fly.

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Great pic - he does look knackered - lovely camo, too...what organization was he on bivouac with?
    The blue shoulder unit flashes are a dead giveaway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cadetcorps.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	204976

You could call them a "well regulated militia". He's already had basic firearms safety instruction at the local rifle club, skeet-shooting, before joining. I think they have a range day in a few months, and training with full auto weapons. Heavy weapons - mortars etc - haven't been part of the cadet syllabus for 50 years though.

Despite the freezing temperatures, rain and hail we had over the weekend, he loved it. Takes after his maternal grandfather (commando in New Guinea) and paternal great grandfather (sniper at Gallipoli, the Somme, and Paschendaele). If he decides on a military career, he's laying good foundations.

Thumbs up

You should be really proud of Andrew Zoe!
    I have seem him develop over a number of years at Cancon & Wintercon & he is a great tribute to your parenting.
    He looks the part in his uniform although he does look tired out.

Isn't he too young still to be exhausted?

Hey, good o him for what he does.

Or rather how fast time flies. A friends daughter was 2 when we were on Okinawa. Now she is married with 2 girls of her own. Time does go by fast but many good time in that time.

Kids to adults in the blink of an eye Zoe, enjoy the metamorphosis, I enjoyed watching mine grow up.

"He is wise who watches"

Good on him Zoe, Cadets is a great organsation. The skills and experience will stand Andrew in good stead in the future.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Good on him Zoe, Cadets is a great organsation. The skills and experience will stand Andrew in good stead in the future.
    Right on Carl!
    I still fondly remember my 4 years in the Air Training Corps at High School.
    Visits to RAAF bases & annual camps in school holidays.
    That started my life long interest in shooting sports & the Air Forces history's (aided by Dawn Patrol with Errol Flynn & David Niven! )

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Kids to adults in the blink of an eye Zoe, enjoy the metamorphosis, I enjoyed watching mine grow up.
    Then all of a sudden they have kids and they are 6 and 4

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Right on Carl!
    I still fondly remember my 4 years in the Air Training Corps at High School.
    Visits to RAAF bases & annual camps in school holidays.
    That started my life long interest in shooting sports & the Air Forces history's (aided by Dawn Patrol with Errol Flynn & David Niven! )
    I did five years in Army Cadets, rising to the exalted rank of CUO. It made army recruit training a bit easier, as long as you didn't tell anyone you used to be a cadet!

Best thing was I met all my lifelong friends in cadets, we have been mates now for more than 30 years and still get together regularly.

Nothing has made me feel older than to see how Fast my Child has grown. They really put time into perspective and how fast it really goes.

I just keep thinking of the Bill Engvall joke which ends "I can't -- they're your daughter's".... o0

Similar Missions

1. Rickenbacker goes west- or how quickly can you be shot down?!
    By Danrit in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 14:52
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 13:20