Ares Games

Thread: Paint Match

Default Paint Match

Is there an exact Humbrol or Vallejo paint match for the WoW
    Ellwood Camel olive/green, or a good "home brew"?

I've not been able to match the WoW paint color to any of my Vallejo paints (I've got them all) well enough to do touch ups or paint over markings with out having to do a total repaint. I'll have to look at what color I used for a straight Vallejo repaint that I liked for the Camel.

Dom posted a mix of two Vallejo colors (I can't recall them right now) that make for a nice historical color. I used this mix on my last Camel repaints (for my Naval 9 decals). I think in the future I will stick with the single color, it's much easier to deal with and I'm more interested in the game and not making museum worthy/accurate replicas for my personal stuff.

Thanks for your help Keith. You saved me much time. I think I'll take your advice and find a color that's a close match and do the whole plane.

I'll try and dig out the paint I used when I get home tomorrow. If you end up having to repaint the undersides, I used Dark Sand based off the research I did. It is not a match for what WoW uses, but it looks better to me.

When I painted out the hearts on an 'Ellwood' Camel I used Vallejo 'Reflective Green' and it blened in nicely once dry and varnished. Don't forget that all the shop bought planes are already varnioshed and that changes a paint colour.

For a good PC10 mix I use 2 parts Russian Uniform to 1 part Burnt Umber as suggested by Dom. This gives what I think is a fairly accurate colour as it looks green in some light and brown in others and it's a pretty close match for the 'Bishop' SE5a. I've re-painted all my Camels, Snipes, SE5a's, DH4's & RE8's in it and also my HP 0/400

For my repaint I used GW Knarloc Green then added Scorched Brown to match .
    Ill post a pic shortly ( my USB has gone diffi )

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    When I painted out the hearts on an 'Ellwood' Camel I used Vallejo 'Reflective Green' and it blended in nicely once dry and varnished. Don't forget that all the shop bought planes are already varnished and that changes a paint colour.
    Having nothing so scooby to hand I used humbrol 155 Olive Drab on one of my SEs - it looked too light a tone until I matt varnished it - now it looks quite tolerable.
    Nice to hear of a PC10 mix though - thanks peeps.

"He is wise who watches"

Didn't someone suggest Citadel Catachan Green with a dollop of Graveyard Earth? Might have been Kytey.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Didn't someone suggest Citadel Catachan Green with a dollop of Graveyard Earth? Might have been Kytey.
    Indeed it was. What a good memory you have Gunners.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Just painted a a Pup with Catachan Green with a dash of graveyard earth, but wasn't happy with it as I thought it too dark. Gave it a coat of Russian Uniform, which I think is a much better match.

To each his own, I think.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

For the Camel a 50/50 mix of Vallejo 93 Brown Violet and 98 Bronze Green is a pretty darned close match to the existing paintwork, although I'm still trying to puzzle out if a dab of a third colour in there will get it bang on. That said, I usually repaint with the mix Tony posted earlier.

Similar Missions

1. Series I paint schemes, which do you like best?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-13-2020, 06:10
  2. SE 5A Paint Match UP?
    By Pope in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-08-2010, 11:30
  3. Suitable paint colours?
    By Bedlam in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 10:17
  4. Messerschmitt paint schemes