Ares Games

Thread: Salvo bombing

Default Salvo bombing

No I am not trying to bomb the Salvation Army

What I am wondering is that if I release bombs singly and consecutively as in short bomb card short bomb card etc is there any limitation on the damage caused rather than dropping the lot in one go.

From both sides of the action there is a gain/loss risk in such a situation...

Dropped as one lot you will cover one card laid with all cumulative damage concentrated in one spot..gain...lots of damage...risk..close miss..no damage.

Dropped consecutively as you query...a string of individual bomb drops...each delivers only the damage of the solo card...spread of damage, less damage per spot...if on target/targets...gain is spread of bomb contact...loss is still close miss no damage, but also now less damage due to spread.

Think it depends on two factors, how concentrated is your target...a factory or a trench-line? Secondly, is there sufficient time to turn and realign for a second bomb run?

Risk / reward is the decision matrix...varies significantly based on game status and ultimate goal. I've enjoyed success on both sides and suffered loss also on both sides.

Food for thought.

Thank you for the reply. I love how this game gets the old brain cells going.

Yes I agree Thomas however most times I have had to drop all bombs at once as there is a fighter on my tail. One house rule we have for WW2 is that when you have bombs on board you can only fly at slow speed once you have dropped them you can then fly at fast speed.

you know i think i just spotted a minor limitation inerrant in the bombing system. no matter how you wish to space them out there will always be at least the length of the aircraft base between bomb hits. as far as i know when it wasnt set to salvo the bombardier could drop a bomb with each click of the pickle switch and walk hits across a target as long as he was laterally lined up. as the system sits theres no way to drop bombs any closer then the base of whatever a/c is dropping them (ie the bigger the bomber, the farther apart no matter what its speed. perhaps we need a house rule? or do you think that would make bombing too easy?

Quote Originally Posted by redcoon2

Think it depends on two factors, how concentrated is your target...a factory or a trench-line? Secondly, is there sufficient time to turn and realign for a second bomb run?

Risk / reward is the decision matrix...varies significantly based on game status and ultimate goal.
    Isn't this the essence of all game play, regardless of game, or game format?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    No I am not trying to bomb the Salvation Army
    What I am wondering is that if I release bombs singly and consecutively as in short bomb card short bomb card etc is there any limitation on the damage caused rather than dropping the lot in one go.
    I've dropped one half load after another (WGF) to ensure a hit, long card on the first and short (off a stall) on the other. The cards usually represent full or part load rather than individual bombs but there's no reason why you can't use them as singles, can be fiddly with higher altitudes when the bombs run off their own cards. As long as you give each bomb card a nominal value should be OK .

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Bombing help?
    By TGalante in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-11-2013, 04:35
  2. Bombing
    By flyingryno in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 12:39
  3. Top Bombing
    By Strangely Brown in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions