Ares Games

Thread: Interesting lot on ebay

Default Interesting lot on ebay

Just spotted this on ebay, looks like a good deal currently!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wings-of-War...3D322222810345

Yeah, spotted the same deal yesterday!
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...3-Ebay-goodies

Looks like a really good deal, I would definitely grab it if I could.

Nick

I bought it last week.

Was watching a SAILS lot. Original starter set with some kickstarter items and 18 Ships for £250.00 start price. Seller reckoned £450.00 value.
    Actually went for £255.00. With 45 minutes to go I got involved with other things and forgot all about it. Still as I was going to bid £270.00 I felt a bit annoyed with myself. Now I just think how much I saved. I have about that much SAILS kit already so did not really need any more.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Was watching a SAILS lot. Original starter set with some kickstarter items and 18 Ships for £250.00 start price. Seller reckoned £450.00 value.
    Actually went for £255.00. With 45 minutes to go I got involved with other things and forgot all about it. Still as I was going to bid £270.00 I felt a bit annoyed with myself. Now I just think how much I saved. I have about that much SAILS kit already so did not really need any more.
    As Flying Helmet would say No More Sails!

Nice score Thomas! It went down in price last I saw too! Heaps of Hurricanes in there plus the Heinkel 111's, it was just a really niche collection! Will you be repainting any of them or using as is?

Thanks! I'll repaint the Hurricanes as British, but I'll probably leave everything else. Do you have any idea what size font the Hurricanes used in the Battle of Britain for the side identification letters? I'll be buying some decals, but don't know what size font to use.

I bid on that lot to keep it on my radar then forgot about it! You got it for a great price, wish I had done so. You can get a great set of Hurricane decals from Dave at Armament in Miniature.
    I repainted/decaled 4 Belgians into British using these. You can see them in the painting showcase.

Thomas, not sure where in NH you are but I will be running a WGF game on Oct 15th at Fort Devens, just east of Leominster MA.

Some of my research for home decalling my Hurricanes:

Size and placement reference:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hurric_marking.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	208284

1940s markings references that I blended, to get as close to the Belgian planes, without doing all the markings:

Name:	5a57a219caf5549e92ce3faf5e751fcf.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	208295

Name:	RCAF 1Sqn Markings.jpg 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	208292
    Note: Underwing was black and white, with no roundels from May-ish until after August 1940. And, of course, with all the changes between May and November 1940, any individual plane may have had just about any markings at any given time, depending on when the ground crew got around to painting on the latest change.

Sample commercial decal sheet:

Name:	image_060.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	208285
    Note: 144th scale, so not good for WoG planes.

Home-made decals:

Name:	1RCAFdecals.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	208287
    Created in Adobe Illustrator using "Source Sans Pro - Semibold" font. Closest I could find for a free font.
    Oh. And the black numbers on two-tone green were for remarking two Molders Bf-109s as wingers.

Finished planes:

Name:	IMG_2527-cropComp.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	208286
    These were upgraded to the two-color wing roundels, when the first-attempt decals peeled off.

PS:
    Bf-109 renumbered planes

Name:	IMG_2529-Crop.jpg 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	208288
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-01-2016 at 12:06.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Excellent! It's nice to see someone else who likes to do flights/squadrons of the same aircraft.

To aid recognition in-game, (it sucks when you move the wrong model!), I've started to put numbered or letter decals on the base and the card using the spares from my decal sheet. This is really invaluable when we're using Japanese aircraft that have little or no ID markings of their own.

I've recently painted color recognition dots on the front center of the base to help players to keep track of their own planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I've recently painted color recognition dots on the front center of the base to help players to keep track of their own planes.
    I've done that with my WWI maneuver and damage decks - it's amazing how often these things get "shuffled"

Thanks for the images Mike!

Similar Missions

1. Interesting
    By Rebel in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-03-2015, 09:13
  2. WGF This could be interesting...
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-02-2015, 01:05
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2014, 11:40