Ares Games

Thread: WOG Glory Solo ap

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Peter
    Sorties Flown

Default WOG Glory Solo ap

Just played a game using the great solo ap. Two of the planes received engine damage and one a injured pilot. How do you play in the restrictions this has on the next turn. I.e having to play s stall every turn or no straights if the planes burning. Regards Stiggo

I've run into the same snag. I believe you're merely supposed to ignore any special damages. Very doable but a bit one-sided. Another issue I've run into is altitude if I really want to "fly" my planes. For me, moving planes around at the same altitude seriously takes away from the aerial aspect of an air battle. My answer to this particular problem was to allow a dice roll for any straight or normal turn to potentially become a climb or a dive if it would be appropriate (especially in emergency situations). A high roll succeeds whereas a low roll does not. This roll would further be modified to benefit an ace or hamper a rookie. If you fail on a first attempt, you can try on the next appropriate card. It has worked well so far in my experience.

I've run into the same snag. I believe you're merely supposed to ignore any special damages. Very doable but a bit one-sided. Another issue I've run into is altitude if I really want to "fly" my planes. For me, moving planes around at the same altitude seriously takes away from the aerial aspect of an air battle. My answer to this particular problem was to allow a dice roll for any straight or normal turn to potentially become a climb or a dive if it would be appropriate (especially in emergency situations). A high roll succeeds whereas a low roll does not. This roll would further be modified to benefit an ace or hamper a rookie. If you fail on a first attempt, you can try on the next appropriate card. It has worked well so far in my experience.

grafix7

I also use the App on my iPhone and it's great! I'm hoping that future updates will include options for recording damage effects (and will take them into account)!

Quote Originally Posted by stiggo44 View Post
    Just played a game using the great solo ap. Two of the planes received engine damage and one a injured pilot. How do you play in the restrictions this has on the next turn. I.e having to play s stall every turn or no straights if the planes burning. Regards Stiggo
    The original rules did not include special damages Peter so was not a problem but we added them in for the Over The Trenches campaigns - You just have to be the I in AI in these cases and do what is right for the machine at the time. If you're on fire and the App gives you a straight make it a sideslip. If it's engine damage take out a straight and add in a stall or put it in wherever is best; if it's rudder damage make a wrong turn a straight, sideslip or turn the other way. We've played this way for years and it works out fine. Mikes solution for altitude is as good as any I've seen too. Just do what's best for the aircraft in the circumstance and you can't go far wrong. You have to be a little bipartizan in your solo gaming is all !

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Peter
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for responding. I'll work around the special damage for now by substituting cards. Still works well for solo games.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Peter
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the comments. I'll work around the special damage and fly the plane to base if the plane gets to disadvantaged. Live to fight another day

Similar Missions

1. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory and Sails of Glory with the designer in Rome, 25th of September
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 23:45
  2. National: Wings of Glory e Sails of Glory a Roma, venerdì 25 settembre
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 23:23
  3. Attention SoG Players - Solo Rules and Solo Campaign
    By 7eat51 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 09:46
  4. National: Wings of Glory & Sails of Glory al MACRO giovedì