Ares Games

Thread: Using the Point System with reserves

Default Using the Point System with reserves

Let say both sides agrees to a 300 pt game for 3Q of 1917.

Side A selects 3 Albatros D.IIIs and makes one an ace for 8 points (79 x 3) + 8 = 245
    Giving him 55 pts in reserve.

Side B selects 3 Camels 86 x 3 = 264
    Giving him 36 pts in reserve

When a plane is shot down your opponent gets 50% and if he takes his plane off the table the opponent gets 25% of that aircrafts total.

Side A shoots down an Camel 50% of 86 = 43 now Side A has 98 points to select another aircraft.

Halberstadt CL.II for 90 leaving him with 8 pts to Ace up. It is place on Side A side of the table farthest from Side B aircraft.

Side B forces an Albatros D.III off the table 25% of 79 = 20 pts

He has 56 points (36 + 20) and must select a rookie Spad VII 62 - 10 = 52 and has 4pts in reserve.

I have a lot of fun playing this way.
    Last edited by john snelling; 08-04-2016 at 00:14.

I almost forgot to add:

No haters or bloviators.

If you do not post it will mean that you dislike points.
    Last edited by john snelling; 08-04-2016 at 00:15.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    bloviators????
    Like Warren G. Harding an original.

I think I like this concept, John.

Might have to give it a go next time my Canadian buddy comes to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    Like Warren G. Harding an original.
    what?

I'm no points man but this seems to be a neat solution for unused points and keeping the fight going for those that are. Well done John.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    what?
    Typo suppose to been or not of.

Bloviation is a style of empty, pompous political speech particularly associated with Ohio due to the term's popularization by United States President Warren G. Harding, who, himself a master of the technique, described it as "the art of speaking for as long as the occasion warrants, and saying nothing".

In this case it would refer to a person that just likes to make his opinion known but adds no substance to the discussion. For example "no points" in large fonts. It adds to sorties flown but nothing else and it might deter someone else from posting. Yes, I am bloviating.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I'm no points man but this seems to be a neat solution for unused points and keeping the fight going for those that are. Well done John.
    Well, thank you. Dave

It's kind of an interesting idea. I like bringing in new planes after the match has started. Of course once a sides gains the upper hand they will only continue the points increase until the other can't field anything. Victory!!!

Bloviation is a style of empty, pompous political speech particularly associated with Ohio due to the term's popularization by United States President Warren G. Harding, who, himself a master of the technique, described it as "the art of speaking for as long as the occasion warrants, and saying nothing".

In this case it would refer to a person that just likes to make his opinion known but adds no substance to the discussion. For example "no points" in large fonts. It adds to sorties flown but nothing else and it might deter someone else from posting. Yes, I am bloviating.
    ok then. i figured it was some new webslang or something

That is an interesting idea, John. I shall have to try it sometime.

Let say both sides agrees to a 300 pt game for 3Q of 1917.

Side A selects 3 Albatros D.IIIs and makes one an ace for 8 points (79 x 3) + 8 = 245
    Giving him 55 pts in reserve.

Side B selects 3 Camels 86 x 3 = 264
    Giving him 36 pts in reserve

When a plane is shot down your opponent gets 50% and if he takes his plane off the table the opponent gets 25% of that aircrafts total.

Side A shoots down an Camel 50% of 86 = 43 now Side A has 98 points to select another aircraft.

Halberstadt CL.II for 90 leaving him with 8 pts to Ace up. It is place on Side A side of the table farthest from Side B aircraft.

Side B forces an Albatros D.III off the table 25% of 79 = 20 pts

He has 56 points (36 + 20) and must select a rookie Spad VII 62 - 10 = 52 and has 4pts in reserve.

I have a lot of fun playing this way.
    So if a player on your side has taken significant damage rather than stay and fight it is better for them to exit the board, so the opposing team only gets 25% of their points instead of 50%.

This might stop players fighting to the death in hopeless circumstances. Do you only get another aircraft when one of yours is shot down? i.e. each side can still only have 3 aircraft on the board at once.

So if a player on your side has taken significant damage rather than stay and fight it is better for them to exit the board, so the opposing team only gets 25% of their points instead of 50%. That was the whole idea of it. It is better sometimes to cut and run than to stick it out.
    This might stop players fighting to the death in hopeless circumstances. Yes, sir.

Do you only get another aircraft when one of yours is shot down? i.e. each side can still only have 3 aircraft on the board at once
    No, I my mentioned scenario the Camels have the edge in the beginning but, then the ebb and tide can flow differently in each game. Sometimes you have the advantage then other times your opponent. but I either way actually works.

Sorry, about not answering sooner I was visiting my daughter.

In this case it would refer to a person that just likes to make his opinion known but adds no substance to the discussion. F opposed to the or example "no points" in large fonts. It adds to sorties flown but nothing else and it might deter someone else from posting. Yes, I am bloviating.
    An example is the little known Caproni Bloviator, seen below.

Anything that encourages and rewards authentic behaviour, like trying to get a crippled crate back to base rather than fighting to the bitter end, has to be good.

We often use a rule that if down to half points, or with crew or engine hits, there is no honour lost by quitting the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Anything that encourages and rewards authentic behaviour, like trying to get a crippled crate back to base rather than fighting to the bitter end, has to be good.

We often use a rule that if down to half points, or with crew or engine hits, there is no honour lost by quitting the field.
    That is the way I look at it.

That is one big bloviator. Looks like it can suck a lot of wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post

Does seem especially applicable to Tournament play. For regular games, I think campaigns are the way to provide such encouragement.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

John, I would be interested in your source for aircraft points. Over all I like your idea in keeping the game fluid by the addition of reserve aircraft.

When playing against solo forces, I say if a solo plane goes off table it is off home if it has 5 or less points left, (otherwise, I pull the cloth over the table to expand the play area, its twice the width of my play table at home!)
    I think it may be a good rule to say a plane with a wounded pilot, or 5 or less points left, should try to get off table?

Quote Originally Posted by Horse4261 View Post
    John, I would be interested in your source for aircraft points. Over all I like your idea in keeping the game fluid by the addition of reserve aircraft.
    To my dear friend,

WW1 forum - general Discussions- important threads - sticky: point system for wings of glory

I hope everything is fine with you. I just had a large cyst removed from my liver. Everything is OK. just feels like a mule kicked me.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    When playing against solo forces, I say if a solo plane goes off table it is off home if it has 5 or less points left, (otherwise, I pull the cloth over the table to expand the play area, its twice the width of my play table at home!)
    I think it may be a good rule to say a plane with a wounded pilot, or 5 or less points left, should try to get off table?
    Yes, 100%. or perhaps even one that is on fire.

Neat idea. Putting this into practice at Border Reiver show to add some spice and randomness.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. WGS Point System - Test
    By Iafrate in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-15-2014, 14:19
  2. WoW Point System...
    By Greywolf in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-14-2013, 03:12
  3. Point System for WW2
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: General Discussions