Ares Games

Thread: Birth of the Spad XIV

Default Birth of the Spad XIV

I bought some WoW planes on ebay last year and one was damaged. The landing gear of Baracca's Spad was broken off and missing. I emailed the guy and he took care of it no problem--there are a lot of good folks still out there. So off to the closet in the junk pile this plane went. Recently, I was looking at Albatros Seaplanes and figured, heck I could make pontoon floats for this crippled old Spad, but would it be historically correct? With some internet research I found my Answer, the Spad XIV. I found a few pics, not many at all, on the web and very little info on the plane. There were only 40 made and flown only by the French Navy. This plane held the record for the fastest Sea Plane of the time at top Speed of 127 MPH! I began by making the landing gear from old parts and hand forming the pontoons from stacked and glued strip Styrene. A lot of sanding, forming and heavy magnifier use (and a soothing Cocktail) and Violia, The Spad XIV. I will need to re-paint this model to the correct scheme. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT COLORS THE FRENCH NAVY PAINTED THEIR PLANES? I'm thinking a silver-grey but I may be wrong. If you know for sure please tell me, I really appreciate it! I will post more pics once she's painted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160802_195736_resized.jpg   20160802_205127_resized.jpg   20160802_210709_resized.jpg   20160802_210730_resized.jpg   20160802_210753_resized.jpg  

20160802_210928_resized.jpg  

Very nice Jim. The Spad XIV is the cannon armed Spad XII on floats. Have a look here for some rules & stats to consider when using the cannon.
    An impression I found was here and all silver as you said.
    Pics found support this:

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Good job!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thumbs up

That great work Jim.
    Cant wait to see the finished plane.

There is just something about floatplanes, they look amazing. Nice work.

Thumbs up

I must agree with Carl!
    Even though he shot down my Macchi at Wintercon I do find them rather "cool".
    I only have one as a result of disposing of Col Jones aircraft so I really need to get a Macchi to fight against it. (well actually two if you count my WGS Catalina!)

What I really want is a Felixstowe!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WSF H-B W29 a.jpg  Views: 65  Size: 266.4 KB  ID: 203715" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Nice conversion!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Great modeling. Here's another interesting image that's not silver (might be from a game though): Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPAD_14.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	203717

Nice one, Jim.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I must agree with Carl!
    Even though he shot down my Macchi at Wintercon I do find them rather "cool".
    I only have one as a result of disposing of Col Jones aircraft so I really need to get a Macchi to fight against it. (well actually two if you count my WGS Catalina!)

What I really want is a Felixstowe!

Name:	<acronym title=WSF H-B W29 a.jpg  Views: 65  Size: 266.4 KB  ID: 203715" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Every Good Boy Deserves Felixstowes! Shapeways has them . . . .

Thank you for all that info Dave! I will start the painting tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
    Great modeling. Here's another interesting image that's not silver (might be from a game though): Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPAD_14.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	203717

Oh man!! Now I will have to build another one! I don' t know which paint scheme I like more.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post

Those are some nice looking birds!

Smile

I Know! Its just trying to paint all those stripes that keeps putting me off.

The stripes? I get chills thinking about all the struts! I have done 19 so far, that's a couple forests!

I always find it interesting to note how far forward the floats have to extend in order to support the bulk of the unit....

This is the F2A model at the RAN Fleet Air Arm museum in Nowra NSW - a little big for the Wings of Glory table Barry!

Name:	IMG_7387.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	203807

Great work, Jim! That was a very good idea to use your broken model that way.

Wow! A SPAD with floats! Great idea the French had! Makes up for a very beautiful plane. Nice job!

Default SPAD XIV COMPLETED

The Spad XIV is complete (less a card). If anyone out there can make a card I sure would appreciate it. Maneuver deck K, damage B/C damage points 15. Making cards is way beyond my computer skill level. I had to blend a clear flat and a clear satin to get the result I wanted. Too much flat greys-out the silver and I did not want it glossy. Now all I have to do is load the Cannon!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160811_175543_resized.jpg   20160811_175550_resized.jpg   20160811_180023_resized.jpg   20160811_180037_resized.jpg   20160811_182024_resized.jpg  

20160811_182247_resized.jpg  

Similar Missions

1. Birth of a Royal Princess
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-05-2015, 03:13
  2. Birth of an Air Force
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-25-2013, 01:08
  3. WGF Birth of a Drachen
    By PFactorDave in forum Hobby Room