Ares Games

Thread: OTT Bitter End Mission 3, 3 December 1917, Counterattack at Cambrai (Carl_Brisgamer)

Default OTT Bitter End Mission 3, 3 December 1917, Counterattack at Cambrai (Carl_Brisgamer)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OTTBE 3_1.jpg 
Views:	713 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	203457

Name:	OTTBE 3_2.jpg 
Views:	696 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	203458

Name:	OTTBE 3_3.jpg 
Views:	705 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	203459

Name:	OTTBE 3_4.jpg 
Views:	711 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	203460

Name:	OTTBE 3_5.jpg 
Views:	698 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	203461

Name:	OTTBE 3_6.jpg 
Views:	701 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	203462

A PDF of the complete briefing document can be downloaded here - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2365

MkIV Tank Cards and stat sheet can be downloaded here:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2286
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2287

Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by flash; 08-04-2016 at 03:24. Reason: Added links

The mission is based on the German counterattack and Allied response around Bourlon Wood near the end of the Battle of Cambrai in December 1917. There are plenty of aircraft and ground units on the single map - this is a down and dirty knife fight.

The use of altitude is highly recommended given the number of ground units on the map.

The special rules for ground unit vs ground unit movement and combat are completely optional. I liked how it played out but if you think you would not enjoy the added complexity feel free to disregard.

Given both sides are attacking ground units you as the human player will have to provide assistance to the Entente and Central Powers AI units - use the AI manoeuvres to set up their run then judge when to play the bombing sequence.

If anyone has any questions post away.

This is going to be a monster !

Brilliant job Carl, clearly a huge amount of effort gone into the production of this scenario, BRF and its peripheries - Proper Job, as some say over here.
    I only have a couple of questions for you:
    The use of C deck for bombs - 9 zeros out of 17 cards means we could put in an awful lot of effort for bugger all return, even if we hit the darn things.
    We've been there before and it wasn't very satisfactory. Taking the zeros out, or, reducing them, or using the D deck, or a mix of both would improve things greatly.. and secondly...
    How much time do you think we've got ?!
    Seriously though, this one will require huge commitment to play out in full, is there a stripped down variant you could offer for those pressed for time/table time?
    I can't get to it until the last week in August myself when I should also have my paws on the recently acquired NML mat.

"He is wise who watches"

A PDF of the complete briefing document can be downloaded here - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2365
    I was just about to ask if you could please post a download because I was having trouble reading the screen version and my print.

Thank you sir!

This looks like a doozy.

Nearly set up and ready to go Going to have to be very careful on this one I think!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    This is going to be a monster !
    I only have a couple of questions for you:
    The use of C deck for bombs - 9 zeros out of 17 cards means we could put in an awful lot of effort for bugger all return, even if we hit the darn things.
    We've been there before and it wasn't very satisfactory. Taking the zeros out, or, reducing them, or using the D deck, or a mix of both would improve things greatly.. and secondly...
    How much time do you think we've got ?!
    Seriously though, this one will require huge commitment to play out in full, is there a stripped down variant you could offer for those pressed for time/table time?
    I can't get to it until the last week in August myself when I should also have my paws on the recently acquired NML mat.
    I used the C deck for the playtest and it worked ok but if you want to use the D deck go right ahead.

I agree this scenario could drag out which is why I limited it to 12 turns = 36 manouvre cards. Nightfall played a role in the outcome of the battle so it ticks that box as well. I included a turn counter in the briefing to help keep track.

The single map also forces the issue - Bourlon Wood was a fairly small patch of real estate.

As I said earlier the ground battle special rules are completely optional. I had fun with it but if any player believes it will be too time consuming disregard and get on with the aerial combat.

I will post my AAR tonight, seeing how it played out may also answer questions as well.

Cheers

Carl

Looks to be a very busy battlefield! I have the paper map but have the new one on order. Hope they come out soon.

The tanks and infantry move straight ahead only. The infantry will not try to avoid the tanks?

Can't wait to give this a run for it's money.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Looks to be a very busy battlefield! I have the paper map but have the new one on order. Hope they come out soon.

The tanks and infantry move straight ahead only. The infantry will not try to avoid the tanks?

Can't wait to give this a run for it's money.
    Hi Pete,

Tanks and infantry just move straight ahead, puts a bit of added pressure on the Hun to take out the tanks early before they can do too much damage to your Stosstruppen.

Historically it was the tanks that prevented a German breakthrough.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer
    I will post my AAR tonight, seeing how it played out may also answer questions as well.
    Certainly looking forward to that one!

Smile

Well that should keep us occupied for the whole 12 Turns!

Boy you put a lot of planning & historical background into that one Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Hi Pete,

Tanks and infantry just move straight ahead, puts a bit of added pressure on the Hun to take out the tanks early before they can do too much damage to your Stosstruppen.

Historically it was the tanks that prevented a German breakthrough.
    All righty then. This looks to be a down to the ground brawl!

I used the C deck for the playtest and it worked ok but if you want to use the D deck go right ahead...
    Will look into it, also look forward to seeing your chaps in the thick of the action Carl, let us know how long it took you to play it.

"He is wise who watches"

Excellent presentaion Carl.

My NML mat arrives this week but the game might have to wait till a bit later.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I am going to need to change my approach to this one. Things were slightly different on the Italian front.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I am going to need to change my approach to this one. Things were slightly different on the Italian front.
    Rob.
    Look forward to seeing what you come up with Rob. Did they have armoured cars there or maybe bomb the staff car ? Too early for Furore with the Ferrari so perhaps Bugger the Bugatti would fit better !!
    Just set mine up so hope to make a start today.

"He is wise who watches"

Rob.
    How about instead of tanks use bunkers with the same special rules except they cannot move.

Default Victory Point Totals OTT Bitter End Mission 3, 3/12/1917 Counterattack at Cambrai

As two months have elapsed I believe all the games of Mission 3 Counterattack at Cambrai that are likely to be played have been played.

Given these circumstances I have tallied up the victory points......

Player Central Powers Entente
    Carl Brisgamer 26 18
    tikkifriend 31 9
    Barry Gullyraker 10 28.5
    Stumptonian 21.5 25
    Flash 16 24
    Setarius 7 26
    Kyte 17 23
    Teaticket 22 29
    BB401 14.5 12.5
    Totals 165 195

....and must congratulate the Bulldogs on a convincing 30 point win!

Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 10-20-2016 at 04:12.

Well done Bulldogs Hard luck Eagles

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well done Bulldogs Hard luck Eagles
    The game played out true to history - the British deployment of tanks with air support blunted the German attack.

Thumbs up

The game played out true to history - the British deployment of tanks with air support blunted the German attack.

Carl: you left off my contribution, but that would only reduce the gap by two points, hardly enough to change the outcome

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    Carl: you left off my contribution, but that would only reduce the gap by two points, hardly enough to change the outcome
    Apologies Bob, I will amend the record!

Do you think I should be included as I was fighting on a totally different front?
    Rob.

Do you think I should be included as I was fighting on a totally different front?
    Rob.
    Of course Rob, you are still doing your bit for the war effort!

What's the Eyetie exchange rate, Rob ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    What's the Italian exchange rate, Rob ?
    Italian Lira1 ITL = 0.000459428 GBP

British Pound1 GBP = 2,176.62 ITL

Rob.

Italian Lira1 ITL = 0.000459428 GBP

British Pound1 GBP = 2,176.62 ITL

Rob.
    or 1 Corneto to the £

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Similar Missions

1. BRF OtT: The Bitter End, Mission 02 – 10 November 1917 (fast.git)
    By fast.git in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-07-2016, 18:29
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-19-2016, 09:02
  3. Replies: 72
    Last Post: 06-23-2016, 13:07
  4. AAR OTTBE Mission 1, 10 November 1917, The end at Passchendaele (Carl_Brisgamer)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-16-2016, 04:26
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-15-2016, 13:13