Alan Durkota, Thomas Darcey, Victor Kulikov
    ISBN:
    0-9637110-2-4
    Category:
    Reference
    Format:
    Hardback
    Summary:
    This is another of the excellent "large tomes" produced by Flying Machines Press in the 90's. "The Imperial Russian Air Service; Famous Pilots and Aircraft of World War One" has 546 large format pages. The first forty are introduction. 94 pages cover seventeen Russian aces and a further38 pages cover six aces in foreign service. 76 pages cover additional Russian pilots, including a nice section on pioneer women pilots. 94 pages cover Russian aircraft designers and manufacturers, and 171 pages are devoted to appendices, victory tables, medals, scale drawings, colors, etc, including a large color section with markings. Grigorovich and Sikorsky companies are covered well, as well as Anatra, Dux, and Lebedev. In the drawings, Harry Woodman's fold-out drawings of the Il'ya Muromets planes are especially well-detailed.

As an example, the section on the Dux factory covers 14 pages and gives an overview of their extensive production of French designs (Nieuport, Farman, Voisin, Morane, SPAD) as well as a handful of indigenous designs, with a table at the end with numerical statistics on each design (where known).

Period photographs are sprinkled liberally throughout, and I assume that many of them are otherwise difficult to find.

If you are at all interested in pre-revolution Russian aviation, this book is a must-have. While it is out of print, occasional copies do show up on ebay and in aviation book stores.

Thanks for showing this book. I have not come across any books on WWI Russian air history/battles, but I haven't really looked! I have some of your Anatras, Grigorovichs, Lebeds and Sikorskys to paint up.

I remember seeing this book at the Squadron Shop in Wheaton, MD many years ago, but didn't have the $90+ asking price. Later when I had the money the book was gone.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Great book!
    You also got a great S-16!

Another hard to find book, currently selling on Amazon for the princely sum of US$2,195.

https://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Russ.../dp/1891268074

A little beyond my research budget!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Another hard to find book, currently selling on Amazon for the princely sum of US$2,195.

https://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Russ.../dp/1891268074

A little beyond my research budget!!
    Funny -- I just snarfed a used copy on Amazon for under $50....

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    There's currently one on ebay for US$80 which is more reasonable. Amazon doesn't seem to have a very good algorithm for determining a reasonable price for used items.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Funny -- I just snarfed a used copy on Amazon for under $50....
    Love a good book score, nice pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    There's currently one on ebay for US$80 which is more reasonable. Amazon doesn't seem to have a very good algorithm for determining a reasonable price for used items.
    That seems more likely. Did you see the other copy on Amazon going for $27,000!

I see it on www.abebooks.com for $60.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Similar Missions

1. A Visit to The Imperial War Museum Duxford U.K.
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-18-2015, 00:52
  2. British Aircraft in Russian Service, 1916-1922
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-24-2014, 10:40
  3. Imperial War Museum, London 2012
    By Kaiser in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 00:08
  4. Imperial Japanese Navy