Ares Games

Thread: OTT The bitter end Mission2 Rain forcast , fire in the sky.

Default OTT The bitter end Mission2 Rain forcast , fire in the sky.

Hermann had spoken privately with his commanding officer Lange earlier that day. He had been posted as unfit to fly by the MO, but the wound was a mere scratch and his arm was not as nearly painful as it had been. He knew that the 52nd would be patrolling his sector again and wanted to conclude what he saw as unfinished business with these flying aces.
    Lange listened carefully as Hermann put his case for flight readiness. He scanned the list of operational pilots, noting how few experienced ones were left. Reluctantly he had to agree with the Ltn and since he would be leading the next few sorties a pilot of Hartmann's calibre would give them the edge they needed to perhaps get home safe. He stamped the required papers and dismissed the Ltn.

The clouds were dark and ominous as the Kette took off. The first 30 mins was the usual high tension boredom then Lange spotted the outline of 3 RFC planes approaching from the West. The flight dropped into a tight attack formation

The RFC planes looked strung out and vulnerable as the the German planes closed in

Lange opened the action, his rounds striking the DH4 below hin (1)

Jackson sped under Traenkners wing . Hartmann watched the second Spad fly past him towards an artillery emplacement in front of the river

Lange felt a thud as Pallisers Lewis lets loose (1+GJ). A faulty round prevented any further damage.

Hartmann pulled a hard right turn as Sumpter turned towards a mass of German infantry emerging from their trenches.

Jackson looked towards the 1st target
    Lange opened up his throttle in an effort to get back in the fray while the Spads began their long left and right turns.

Hartmann pointed the nose of his Aviatik downward Pallisers lewis chattered again (3) stitching the Aviatiks newly painted fuselage.
    Jackson seeing the Albatros ahead climbs to meet it, but veered off at the last moment

Ewart carefully guided the DH4 in a curling loop towards the PBI spread out below as his observer prepared to release them.

But the Germans were on the hunt Traenkner had his sights set on the lumbering 2 seater below him . As he and Hartmann turned they caught Sumpter as climbed to meet them (2,0)

Lange spots the Spad to his rear and Immells .

Hartman and Traenkner close in on the DH4 a burst from Hartmann's guns strips fabric and wire off its wing.

but Palliser holds his nerve and the bombs whistle downward the scattering troops below (direct hit)

It was costly. Hartmann's rounds saw fire coming from the DH4 engine (2+fire,1), as Treaker shredder the 2 seaters rudder ( 2+RRD)

Palliser manned the rear gun once more clipping the tail of Hartmann (01+RRD) but Hermann tailed him and bullets tore into the strutts and stringers of the DH4. Ewart felt the rudder go slack as his plane barreled over and fell , still burning , towards the river (4 ,1+RRD) Kill Hartmann

Lange flinched as Sumpters bullets streaked past him (0)

A fine mizzel descended upon the combatants. as the clouds began to close in

Lange was just below them and could see Jackson coming towards the artillery .

Jackson took his plane down to a reasonable bombing height.

pulling hard on the release his 100lb bomb hits left of his target. He saw Traenkner too late, slightly above and to his right. The rounds struck his prop shattering it and the Spad fell like a stone to the ground Kill Traenkner

Sumpter was trying to shake Hartmann off .the final target could wait.
    a snap shot at the black and yellow Aviatik and Sumpter found himself with a jammed gun.

Looking around he sees no RFC aircraft and only cloud above him. Mindful that the mission was described vital Ltn Sumpter pressed on. . Losing height he came into Lange LOS A short burst from the Albatros hit the Spads ailerons before Langes gun s jammed (3,0+GJ)

Sumpter panicked

The weather worsening and outnumbered he headed through a gap in the clouds , passing Hartmann as he turned for the Allied lines.

Butchers Tally:

RFC

2Lt P Ewart (p) Sgt Palliser (o) DH4

2Lt P Ewart: SD-FLM-ET / 0 kills
    Rolled 8 -2FLM = 6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios - Rolled 5 = Skip 3
    E&E Rolled 3 -1FLM -1BEL -1WIC = 0 Captured! The war ended for this pilot...

Sgt Palliser: SD-FLM-ET / 0 kills
    Rolled 8 -2FLM = 6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios - Rolled 2 = Skip 1
    E&E Rolled 12 -1FLM -1BEL -1WIC = 9 They didn't even see me ! Total Skips 1 (W)

Lt B Jackson Spad. E

Lt B Jackson: SD-EXP-ET / 0 kills
    Rolled 7 -3EXP = 4 Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios - Rolled 1 = Skip 1 ...Jammy Bugger !
    E&E: Rolled 9 -1EXP -1WIC -BEL = 6 - In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios - Rolled 3 = Skip 1.. Total Skips 1 (R)

2Lt Stan Sumpter Spad F
    RTB

The Eagles

Obltn Franz Lange Alb
    RTB

Ltn Hermann Hartmann Aviatik Black
    RTB/1 kill

Ltn Alfred Traenkner Aviatik
    RTB/1 kill

Primary target completely destroyed (MVR card ) , Secondary partial hit. total 4 points

1 x 2 seater and a scout downed 3pts
    Thus a win for the RFC

Nice scenario Christopher I enjoyed it a lot , but then I had 17 turns before the clouds came down by which time Sumpter was on his own and looking to get back in one piece.
    Could Onkle Dave please do the rolls or the brave RFC chaps
    Last edited by flash; 07-23-2016 at 10:02. Reason: parenthesis added to get last image !

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Well played Paul, your chaps certainly got the job done even if denied the victory by the pen pusher's at HQ !

Onkel says:

Well done Eagles ! Two machines downed and a valuable prisoner, congratulations but we must stop them before they drop their bombs

Lt B Jackson: SD-EXP-ET / 0 kills
    Rolled 7 -3EXP = 4 Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios - Rolled 1 = Skip 1 ...Jammy Bugger !
    E&E: Rolled 9 -1EXP -1WIC -BEL = 6 - In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios - Rolled 3 = Skip 1.. Total Skips 1 (R)

2Lt P Ewart: SD-FLM-ET / 0 kills
    Rolled 8 -2FLM = 6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios - Rolled 5 = Skip 3
    E&E Rolled 3 -1FLM -1BEL -1WIC = 0 Captured! The war ended for this pilot...

Sgt Palliser: SD-FLM-ET / 0 kills
    Rolled 8 -2FLM = 6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios - Rolled 2 = Skip 1
    E&E Rolled 12 -1FLM -1BEL -1WIC = 9 They didn't even see me ! Total Skips 1 (W)

A Mr Delaney will be replacing Mr Ewart.

"He is wise who watches"

Ah a prisoner, but he must come to the Mess before he goes to the Stalag .

Nice one Paul Good shooting. Enjoyed the AAR. Thanks a bundle!

A fine effort but another Bulldog win. At least there was some valuable experience gained by your Eagles. Who will win one for the Kaiser?

Thumbs up

Rather hectic Set To there Paul! Thought the RFC Chaps were in lots of trouble but they did a good job but at a cost.
    Would give Rep but have to pass it around first!

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

A bit brutal on the Bulldogs, but they have made things easier for the Canadians to advance.
    Well done.

Nicely done, Paul.
    I like your WWI pilots deck - an expansion on Dave's ideas for targets.
    Having done some targetting this weekend with those damn cards that become invisible I definitely like this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Nicely done, Paul.
    I like your WWI pilots deck - an expansion on Dave's ideas for targets.
    Having done some targetting this weekend with those damn cards that become invisible I definitely like this idea.
    Its almost a shame to play Whist with them.

Good show on both sides Paul.
    It was certainly a nail biter.
    I did enjoy your use of the cards.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks chaps , lets see if they can keep up the good work.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT: The Bitter End, Mission 2 "Rain in the Forecast; Fire from the Sky
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-08-2016, 09:04
  2. AAR OTT TBE Mission 2 Rain Forecast; Fire in the Sky--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-29-2016, 22:23
  3. AAR OTT BE MISSION 2 Rain in the Forecast, Fire in the Sky
    By Setarius in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2016, 17:02
  4. Replies: 28