Author:
    John C. Stanaway & Lawrence J. Hickey
    ISBN:
    Category:
    History
    Format:
    Hardback
    Summary:
    Compiled from official U.S., Australian and Japanese records, as well as hundreds of interviews with surviving 8th Fighter Group veterans, the authors have painstakingly reconstructed the story of one of the keystone fighter units in the Fifth Air Force. Much more of the story was lost with records that disappeared into the New Guinea jungle or the sea off it's combat scarred coast during the rough was that was fought there. But now the history of this epoch-making group has been pieced together to be presented for the first time. The 8th took the first P-39s into combat and fought the best Zero pilots in the Japanese Imperial Navy. They added many victories in P-40s and P-47s, and took the war to the enemy with P-38s over Rabaul and Hollandia, as well as the Philippines. The complete text is illustrated by more than 500 black and white and color photographs, plus color profiles of select 8th FG aircraft. Full victory lists, casualty lists and select aircraft lists are included.

For any WWII air fan, especially in the Pacific this is an absorbing book. As stated there are lots of great photos and 12 color profiles. The stories are brought to life with many corresponding photos of the pilots and ground crew.
    Schiffer has done a top shelf job on this book.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A&Q.jpg  

Thumbs up

That looks like a "Cracker" Any Idea of Cost?

$45. I haven't seen it at a discount anywhere yet. I bit and it's worth it.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    $45. I haven't seen it at a discount anywhere yet. I bit and it's worth it.
    I will keep a lookout at a couple of Book stores who discount after the books have been out for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I will keep a lookout at a couple of Book stores who discount after the books have been out for a while.
    If you find a shop that has Schiffer books discounted I'd like to know. It has been very rare to me to find that.

Similar Missions

1. Colorado: Western Colorado Fighter Group
    By foofighter in forum US Wing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-11-2015, 09:14
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2015, 07:52
  3. WGSU: Fighter Squadron at Guadalcanal
    By Lloydthegamer in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2013, 05:02
  4. Replies: 0