Ares Games

Thread: STORAGE CASE

Default STORAGE CASE

I finished this quite a while ago but just now finally got the chance to post it.

This storage case is all wood construction with Brass Hardware and a leather wrapped carry handle for the vintage look. I also used an Satin Oil based Polyurethane top coat to yellow it a bit adding to the aged look.

I decided I needed a nice case for my minis but was not satisfied with the ones that are available for purchase. I came across a guy selling wooden ones on Ebay. Now, I am an accomplished woodworker, but it was Winter and my Work shop is not heated and like the Grizzly Bear, it too remains dormant till Spring. I negotiated a deal with the guy to get an unfinished case as I had plans on how I wanted the finished product to look. I received the case a couple of weeks later. I had to do a good deal of fitting and Sanding to get it ready for the stains and paints. If I decide to do this again I will fire up the 'ol saws and make one myself. Once everything was aligned I replaced the hardware that came with the box with some nicer latches and hinges. I thinned down a baby blue Oil based paint I had and used it to stain the Front & Back. Once that was done it was top-coated with Satin clear Poly. I stained the sides next and did the same Poly treatment. I shot the interior black and followed it up with a speckled finish that resembled the foam trays. It got an acrylic clear coat. Now, mind you, I did this all while the box was assembled, no individual pieces, just the two box halves. I wrapped the handle with Leather and sewed it on. It was only held on with tiny screws so I made a brass reinforcing backer plate and bolted it down. It easily takes the weight of the full case now. The artwork on the front and Back are all done free-hand with a brush and acrylics. I did lightly scribe out the Roundels and words to have a good pattern to follow. The clouds were done with a sponge painting technique. The artwork was also clear coated. The dowels that hold the Plexi covers were stained and cleared too. The foam trays are from Battle foam and the plastic containers are from WalMart. The whole process took about 2 1/2 months, mostly for a good cure time in between stages.

The box comfortably holds 81 Planes and their cards, stands, rule book, dashboards, markers, altitude pegs and more. Needless to say I have already out-grown it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160717_121052_resized.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	202368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0612.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	202367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0614.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	202369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160717_121323_resized.jpg 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	202370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0619.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	230.0 KB 
ID:	202371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0620.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	202372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0626.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	202373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0627.jpg 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	202374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0628.jpg 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	202375

Very nice work. You should be justly proud of that art.
    I like the armor you have too!

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Beautiful work, Jim - I love it! Sensible way you've compartmentalized everything...

Anyone would be proud to carry his/her minis around in that!

All the best,
    Matt

Wow, thats a great design Jim. Very organized, surpurbly built and great looking, it has it all!

Amazing. I see it clearly: Year 2116, basement in old house and your grand-grand-grandchildern will find it. A game about knights from 200 years ago. Just...imagine it!

Very impressive, Jim.
    Very sharp-looking and well-organized.

One of the best I have seen. Would like to build one myself, do you have plans and material list ?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    One of the best I have seen. Would like to build one myself, do you have plans and material list ?
    I don't have any plans but I can give you dimensions if you like. It is built to fit a standard Battle foam tray. This one is made of Hi-Grade Plywood with decorative edging, but there's nothing that says it cannot be made from solid wood. The latches are sash (window) locks and the hinges are kinda special because I needed a large gap between the top and bottom box sections once they were opened due to the extra width of the decorative edging. If you go without the edging, you could use normal hinges.

That is a thing of pure beauty Jim, very REP worthy!

Absolutely stunning!

REP!!!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

That's both artful and practical. Well done!

Great job Jim - now can you do a 'walk in' version for Tim (Flying Helmut).....

"He is wise who watches"

LOOP

That is some case Jim!!

OI!

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Stellar job. I continue to be amazed at the craftsmanship demonstrated by the members of this forum. Truly well done!

Drool................ OMG I want one.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

A Joy to behold Jim Rep

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thumbs up

What a fantastic effort. Just Beautiful & most worthy of Rep!

Very nice... problem is the constant and uneven expansion of the game--other than that, if I had budget I'd see about having several similar ones made for my collection.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Outstanding job. So many ideas and craftsmen in here.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Great job Jim - now can you do a 'walk in' version for Tim (Flying Helmut).....

Just saw this - luckily I didn't have a beverage in my mouth at the time.

(Tim - you know he's right)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post

Just saw this - luckily I didn't have a beverage in my mouth at the time.

(Tim - you know he's right)
    But oh, what a great addiction....

Superb! And inspiring.....but as ever the cheapskate, I found these pasteboard cases on closeout at Michaels craft store, so armed with my trusty 50% off coupon, off I went........

A quick respray and my Battle of Britain collection found new homes

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	210407

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	210408

The RAF and Luftwaffe insignia were simply copied on to white label paper, cut out and stuck (badly off center LOL)

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	210409

Waiting on foam tray inserts, bur for now, these simple jewelry trays will do the job

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	210410

nice boxes, did you print off the decals?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Nowotny View Post
    nice boxes, did you print off the decals?
    Thanks! Yes, I simply googled an image for Luftwaffe helmet decal online and printed it on white label paper. The RAF one came from the official UK defense ministry site; this had the post 1952 crown so I superimposed an image of the 1940's crown (from a wartime badge) over it and printed that off.

Now to figure out what I can put on my US and Japanese boxes....... suggestions welcome!

Nice work! The top of your Japanese box should have the red Rising Sun with all it's glorious rays.

Similar Missions

1. Just in case you were lolooking for one of these!
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 13:00
  2. A Case of the Uglies
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 14:27
  3. WGF Just in case anyone is after a Deluxe boxed set:
    By Guntruck in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 02:46
  4. Minis carrying case