ID:	202489
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide22.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	202490
    Last edited by flash; 07-20-2016 at 00:51. Reason: Prefix & title

"Stay tuned".

I'll be waiting...same Wings time, same Wings channel.

Sounds brutal, can't wait for the whole story Bob

"He is wise who watches"

Smile

This first Mission seems to have been a "breeze" for the Allies.
    Cant help wonder what will be the outcome of the Bombing Raids.

All tuned in - looking forward to the report

OK. Posted. Scroll up to the top.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Excellent work. Especially like the journal entry format you used, even if it was a little hard to read times.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    ... Especially like the journal entry format you used, even if it was a little hard to read times.
    Well done, Bob. Like Dale, I like your addition of the journal. Could you make it a little bigger for those of us with old eyes ?

Thumbs up

Beautifully presented AAR Bob!

I like the others would appreciate the Journal in a larger Format.

What a grand opening to your campaign Bob, Booms on the first pass, collisions, fire, engine damage, jams - it was all going on but mostly in the wrong direction it seems !! Welcome to the fray mein herr, a well presented AAR and a well presented Butchers Tally. Let's hope the next mission works out a little better for your Eagles.

Onkel says:

You may be house ruling all of this but I have some tips for you next time you're up:
    Models overlapping can shoot at models they are not overlapping with so your Eagles missed an opportunity (image 5) und that Bristol was a DH4 !
    You might have saved your Eagles some further damage by not allowing the DH4 observer to shoot and take photo's in the same phase - one or the other would be better, that's not a rule as such but more a practical thing.
    Collisions only count numerical values & the explosion - no other special damage is taken into account.
    As you didn't name any of your assigned Bulldogs from the roster I have put names to the planes -
    Lt Conway Foster to Hearts Camel, 2Lt Gerald Millman to the Rings Camel, 2Lt Arthur Jenks & Sgt Harold Trapp to Brisfit (Trapp landed OK), 2Lt James Weir & Sgt Alfred Sidney Hall to the DH4
    Last edited by flash; 07-18-2016 at 02:38.

"He is wise who watches"

LOOP

Nice Can't wait for the follow up

Dragonfly

Great AAR!

Herr Hauptman:

No intentional house rules were in play, although I might have interpreted the rules other than intended. I had always assumed that base-over-base (short of collision) prevented involved aircraft from shooting as the pilots would be busy jinking out of each other’s way, preventing aiming at other targets. This seemed a practical limitation to me. If I have this wrong per the rules in general, or specific to OTT, I can reconsider.

Limiting an observer to either shoot photos or shoot his mg also seems a practical limitation, one I will include going forward.

As to choosing my opponents, I will ensure that is considered in future missions. I was writing from the POV of one of the participants, to whom these pilot’s names would be unknown. For purposes of the narrative, I will keep those pilots assigned to those distinctive planes going forward when possible, as it will add to the drama when they have to face off against die rote herz und blauer Kreis again!

As to misidentifying a Bristol for a DH4 or vice versa, I blame the fog of war and/or a poor transcription by a REMF who wouldn’t know a Bristol from a bauern door……. (!)

I will be gearing up for and attending the EAA convention next week, so my next mission will be completed in early August, when I will be playing catch-up. If any of my Aerodrome mates visit this event, stop in at the Warbirds Living History Camp and ask for Captain Blecke and say hello!

Some nice action there Bob! Those darn Bulldogs are tough. Hopefully the rookies learn quickly and can take it to them in the future.

Question for calculating the photos... you said you didn't use altitude but I saw no evidence of ground fire. So I am taking it you flew up at level 4 as you stated in the beginning of your AAR?
    Last edited by Teaticket; 07-18-2016 at 08:58.

That was my assumption. All at L4 and out of range. Given the results I could have used the support!

Do you know if you were moving straight of stall (or a combination of) on your photos? If you don't know I'll assume 3 each.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 07-18-2016 at 09:00.

Brother Bruno, another terrific AAR. I think I now understand how the campaign works. I will email some questions on your AAR procedure. Yesterday I found my list of pilots that I thought I had lost, so I hope I can still get in the game.

I did not record that. I accept your edit. And whatever consequences that entails

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    As to choosing my opponents, I will ensure that is considered in future missions. I was writing from the POV of one of the participants, to whom these pilot’s names would be unknown. For purposes of the narrative, I will keep those pilots assigned to those distinctive planes.
    Bob,
    What I do on my AARs is assign a pilot to a specific plane on a separate sheet of paper, and then write the AAR just describing the planes and then on the Butcher's Bill I put the pilots name with the plane pictured. I have also in my preamble ramblings even mentioned what pilots are in what planes, not necessarily the enemy pilots.
    Some guys will add a small card with a pilots name to the base of their plane.
    Just a couple of ideas to help clear the fog of war.
    Last edited by flash; 07-18-2016 at 22:55.

Herr Hauptman:
    No intentional house rules were in play, although I might have interpreted the rules other than intended. I had always assumed that base-over-base (short of collision) prevented involved aircraft from shooting as the pilots would be busy jinking out of each other’s way, preventing aiming at other targets. This seemed a practical limitation to me. If I have this wrong per the rules in general, or specific to OTT, I can reconsider.
    It makes perfect sense to me too Bob but it is allowed in the rules, they just can't shoot at each other. Up to you how you play that.

Limiting an observer to either shoot photos or shoot his mg also seems a practical limitation, one I will include going forward.

As to choosing my opponents, I will ensure that is considered in future missions. I was writing from the POV of one of the participants, to whom these pilot’s names would be unknown. For purposes of the narrative, I will keep those pilots assigned to those distinctive planes going forward when possible, as it will add to the drama when they have to face off against die rote herz und blauer Kreis again!
    Quite agree, you don't have to use names in the story lines at all unless you want to but do please include it in the tally as it does give the enemy an identity others can follow and a few AI have even become decorated aces over the campaigns.

As to misidentifying a Bristol for a DH4 or vice versa, I blame the fog of war and/or a poor transcription by a REMF who wouldn’t know a Bristol from a bauern door……. (!)

I will be gearing up for and attending the EAA convention next week, so my next mission will be completed in early August, when I will be playing catch-up. If any of my Aerodrome mates visit this event, stop in at the Warbirds Living History Camp and ask for Captain Blecke and say hello!
    Have a great time, look forward to seeing the next mission
    Last edited by flash; 07-18-2016 at 23:03.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Brother Bruno, another terrific AAR. I think I now understand how the campaign works. I will email some questions on your AAR procedure. Yesterday I found my list of pilots that I thought I had lost, so I hope I can still get in the game.
    William, if you look in the rules sticky you will find under OTT House Rules a link to the pilots roster & if you have any questions you're struggling to find answers for then send me a PM and I'll do my best to keep you in the air.

"He is wise who watches"

All in all a fine mission.
    Plenty of action and some very good dialogue.
    I enjoyed every bit of it.
    I also agree that dodging ones comrade is as important as dodging the enemy.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Outstanding format to the AAR!

Really excellent AAR. Love the journal entries to "Grandma" - I assume "Oma" is such! It was a bit difficult to read the script in the journal, especially being on the small side, but it was well worth the effort and an original presentation. Thanks

Thank you all for the positive reception. I will see about making the format larger and more easily legible. I had the same issue with the published version.

I have an information request which I have no doubt someone on this forum can provide, namely, a TO&E for a frontline Jasta in late 1917? I am planning to fill out my story line and I want thecsupporting characters and features to ring true. Organization, ranks, etc. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Really excellent AAR. Love the journal entries to "Grandma" - I assume "Oma" is such! It was a bit difficult to read the script in the journal, especially being on the small side, but it was well worth the effort and an original presentation. Thanks
    Yes, and we will find out more about this young aristocrat and why he writes to his grandmother as the story line progresses.!

The Feldflugchef Order 929/16 dated 31/08/16 lays down the establishment of a Jagdstaffel as:
    14 single seat fighter aircraft
    1 Staffelfuhrer
    1 Adjutant
    12 pilots
    1 paymaster
    1 master technician
    1 Disciplinary Sergeant major
    1 Disciplinary Sergeant
    1 Medical NCO
    6 NCO's - duties various
    14 Engine fitters
    28 Airframe riggers
    6 motor mechanics
    2 Electricians
    2 Joiners
    2 Steel cable workers
    1 Shoemaker
    2 Leather workers
    1 Tailor
    2 Clerks
    2 Telephone operators
    5 men for general duties
    2 Armourers
    2 motor cyclists
    15 soldiers for transport duties
    16 Drivers & assistants
    3 Automobiles
    4 heavy lorries
    1 Mobile workshop
    1 Water lorry
    1 Lorry with electric generator
    2 Trailers

From Appx 1 - Osprey Airwar 13 - German Fighter Units 1914 - May 1917 by Alex Imrie

This is the ideal of course, I have seen mention elsewhwer of more machines - 4 spares plus 3 more held at the Armee Flugpark, however, it's probably safe to say this was seldom met. Strength was more likely 12 on hand with 8 or 9 serviceable at any time due to maintenance, bad landings and combat damage. The pilot strength was probably an average of 11-12 and this was reduced by leaves and injuries to probably 8-9 at best.

By early 1917 most Jagdstaffeln were operating at half strength due to problems in supply of aircraft and pilots. Realising this would prevent the formation of more Jagdstaffeln the Kogenluft issued an order to increase the establishment of Jagdstaffeln given above by a further four machines, pilots, four fitters and four riggers when the personnel & aircraft became available. Kogenluft 62015/17 dated 1st May 1917.

From - Osprey Airwar 17 - German Fighter Units June 1917 - 1918 by Alex Imrie

Most pilots were Leutnants or NCO pilots. Not unheard that Ltn were jasta leaders.
    Last edited by flash; 07-20-2016 at 01:19.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The Feldflugchef Order 929/16 dated 31/08/16 lays down the establishment of a Jagdstaffel as:
    14 single seat fighter aircraft
    1 Staffelfuhrer
    1 Adjutant
    12 pilots
    1 paymaster
    1 master technician
    1 Disciplinary Sergeant major
    1 Disciplinary Sergeant
    1 Medical NCO
    6 NCO's - duties various
    14 Engine fitters
    28 Airframe riggers
    6 motor mechanics
    2 Electricians
    2 Joiners
    2 Steel cable workers
    1 Shoemaker
    2 Leather workers
    1 Tailor
    2 Clerks
    2 Telephone operators
    5 men for general duties
    2 Armourers
    2 motor cyclists
    15 soldiers for transport duties
    16 Drivers & assistants
    3 Automobiles
    4 heavy lorries
    1 Mobile workshop
    1 Water lorry
    1 Lorry with electric generator
    2 Trailers

From Appx 1 - Osprey Airwar 13 - German Fighter Units 1914 - May 1917 by Alex Imrie

This is the ideal of course, I have seen mention elsewhwer of more machines - 4 spares plus 3 more held at the Armee Flugpark, however, it's probably safe to say this was seldom met. Strength was more likely 12 on hand with 8 or 9 serviceable at any time due to maintenance, bad landings and combat damage. The pilot strength was probably an average of 11-12 and this was reduced by leaves and injuries to probably 8-9 at best.

By early 1917 most Jagdstaffeln were operating at half strength due to problems in supply of aircraft and pilots. Realising this would prevent the formation of more Jagdstaffeln the Kogenluft issued an order to increase the establishment of Jagdstaffeln given above by a further four machines, pilots, four fitters and four riggers when the personnel & aircraft became available. Kogenluft 62015/17 dated 1st May 1917.

From - Osprey Airwar 17 - German Fighter Units June 1917 - 1918 by Alex Imrie

Most pilots were Leutnants or NCO pilots. Not unheard that Ltn were jasta leaders.
    This is what makes this Forum the best. My thanks to Flash, and all of you who share your knowledge and expertise.

No problem, I've copied it into the last post of the rules sticky for future reference.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT BE-Missíon #1 The End At Passchedaele 10 Nov, 1917
    By Setarius in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-22-2016, 05:33
  2. AAR OTT BE Mission 1 - Mike's End at Passchedaele - 10th November 1917
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-16-2016, 03:59
  3. AAR OTTED Mission 17: Gas, Gas, Gas May 15 1917
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches