Ares Games

Thread: New player

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Default New player

Hi folks. Been interested in this game for aeons, but only just managed to finally free up some funds and more astonishingly even find a copy of the game for sale. It's not easy to find in the UK.
    I've ordered Wings of Glory: WW2 Rules and 4 Airplane Combo Pack to get started, couldn't actually find the WWI rules, and struggled to find any single aircraft I'd really want as my main interest is in the ETO and those models aren't easy to find right now.

Anyways, I'm kinda confused about a few things. There seems to be a pack of rules that includes advanced rules named the Rules and Accessories pack. Do I need this? What does it include? While I can find the WWII version, the WWI version is listed at £144 on Ebay.. so that isn't an option.

If I buy a couple of WWI planes can I use them using the rules and pieces (damage tokes) that I get with my copy of the WWII starter set?

And where do you Brits buy this game exactly? I can barely find 1% of the range online, but many stores simply don't show up in google.
    Ideally I'd love to have the WWI set too, I'd gladly buy the rules themselves and some packs of planes, or the starter set with the included planes, but I just can't find it to buy in the first place.
    The battle of Britain set looks very appealing too, and I'll try and buy that in October, hopefully two copies so I can run 2 of everything. But it still makes me wonder if I'd need the Rules and accessories pack or not.

Welcome aboard Stephen - and what with you hailing from ancient Northumbria one of our esteemed members who also inhabits the Northern wastes may be able to help you start your WW1 collection. I will get him to PM you. He is your Squadron Leader Skafloc (Neil)

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Hi Stephen

Welcome to the 'Drome!

First off, WW1 (WGF) and WW2 (WGS) are two different animals, and are not interchangeable!

Rules and Accessories Pack (RAP) - the WW2 one is the one you have ordered! with the 4 planes. You don't need another, especially as the rules & tokens will all appear AGAIN in the "Battle of Britain" set. The WW1 RAP is still available here and there, and may well be reprinted again, but for now they occasionally show up on ebay;
    one going HERE http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wings-of-g...oAAOSw0kNXgl5I, bidding @ £27 at the moment, one day to go.
    Also try Amazon.
    On line shops include Entoyment, in Bournemouth, Infinity Games UK, and others I can't remember right now.

The Commanding Officer of this site, Oberst Hajj, runs "Aerodrome Accessories" from Colorado Springs in the U.S.A. - hefty discounts on prices, partially offset by international postage! Click on the bar at the top of your screen.

Define ETO - do you mean WW2 early war? (if so, then yes, planes are VERY hard to find now) or do you mean late war? (newly released 109K, Thunderbolt, B17s still knocking around, with Fw190Ds and the occasional Mustang, plus Spitfire Mk IX, are all still available).

If there is anything in particular which you want, give us all a shout out on here, and someone's spares box may well cough up the mini you are after.

Happy Hunting, and happy playing!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, registration issues I'll learn to spell one of these days.

By ETO I mean the entire air war over Europe, early to late, it's all good. I must admit I don't rightly care for any of the planes in the set I've ordered, but I'd rather have the game than not. And thanks for clearing up that the set I bought contains everything, I thought I needed a second set for things like Anti-Aircraft rules, which is a little odd as it would leave me with two sets of rules.

For WWI (which I can't afford till August now) I'd be happy to fly anything with wings. For WWII I prefer to keep it a bit more accurate, for example a pair of Spits and Hurricanes, vs a Pair of 109's and Stukas, or a pair of 109's and 110's etc. Still, I'll make do for now. Game should turn up by Tuesday.

I guess Battle of Britain is one of my favorites, followed by Normandy as an Era. It would be nice to work through the war, that would require a fair few variants of aircraft of course.

I'll keep an eye out for a Emil and Hurricane, or something around that period. But going to have to wait a bit before I spend anymore due to other commitments

Thanks for the replies.

No problem.

Can you get yourself along to Doncaster Air Museum on the weekend of October 1st?

Big 'Battle of Britain' scrap being laid on there! See "Doncaster" thread in the UK Wing forum.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Sadly working in a Kitchen means weekends are a no go, and I'm using up my last week off in September. No transport either, which makes it a chore traveling to distant locations.
    It's a shame, because locally there seems to be very little in the way of gaming clubs and stores. I have to strong arm my friends into playing games

welcome to the drome Stephen!!!!

Finally remembered!

Northumbria Games
    Spirit Games (Burton on Trent)
    Battlefield Hobbies

all stock Wings of Glory, and have online sales capability.

Welcome Stephen, from Bristol

Quote Originally Posted by tinfish View Post
    Sadly working in a Kitchen means weekends are a no go, and I'm using up my last week off in September. No transport either, which makes it a chore traveling to distant locations.
    It's a shame, because locally there seems to be very little in the way of gaming clubs and stores. I have to strong arm my friends into playing games
    Hi Stephen and welcome to the Drome from sunny Brittany. ( Well sunnier than Sunderland) The guy you need to talk to is Neil (Skafloc) about what's going on up in the Toon town area
    We have a nice solo ETO campaign running on the site and I am sure we can squeeze another willing pilot into the game.
    As for buying BoB planes try these links
    http://www.ludibay.net/advanced_sear...sort=2a&page=2

http://www.philibertnet.com/fr/edge/...opping+Flux%29

http://entoyment.co.uk/index.php?rou...ry&path=63_618

https://www.ludikbazar.com/advanced_...rds=wings%20of

Have fun and enjoy the game.

Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Thanks folks. Figures the first link I try shows me this http://www.battlefieldhobbies.co.uk/...-combo-pack-2/ I'd have bought it in a heartbeat lol. Something tells me it won't still be there in August. Google never brought me to any of these stores, but then half the time it thinks I'm in America, so no surprises there.

Now I'm really regretting buying infinity stuff this week, that I could have bought any time.

Welcome to the Drome Stephen. I was going to mention www.philibertnet.com as a supplier but I see that my friend Paul has got there before me. They are in France but easy to deal with and they seem to have good stocks currently.

(welcoming head bobs) from the lizard on the other side of the ocean.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Welcome to the 'drome from the Bluegrass State, Kentucky.
    Dont be afraid to ask any question on here, someone will find the answer for you.
    This is a great game so enjoy what you can.

welcome to the drone from Boston Lincolnshire

Hi Stephen, welcome from Essex.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Finally get around to welcoming my latest Wingman to the Drome officially.
    So welcome to you Stephen.
    The chaps have given you some good starting tips, but I would add one thing more. If you see it at a good price grab it whilst you can. Resupply is rather hit and miss, with long delays in between.
    See you in the Officer's Club for a virtual beer or three and a chinwag later.
    Fly safe and watch your six.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome to the 'drome Stephen from a sunny(ish) East Sussex on the south coast. Hope you find what you're looking for.
    Try Entoyment, Pete has loads of models that he has yet to get onto his webpage, give them a ring, tell them you're on the forum and you should get an extra 5% off.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Thanks everyone.
    So, it turned up today and I was quite happy to see I got pretty lucky with my 4 planes, I had the impression they were fixed from photos, but I've managed to start with a P 51D, KI-84, FW190D and a Spitfire MK.IX.

I'll possibly be able to pick up a copy of the WWI game, I'll have to wait and see what my pay is for the week, not looking forward to heading to work to pick it up during my week off

Barely read the rules I downloaded from the official site beyond the basics, I'll set up some test runs and download and print off the solo deck rules asap. And then have a good read through the physical rule book.

I do play a fair few games, at least a few are similar to this one. Although this one being historical interests me to a greater degree.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Stephen, from here near Norwich.

If you look at the Upcoming section on the Ares Games website you will see that the WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack is being reprinted and is due for release in August, but it may be September before thy reach the U.K.. There are online shops with the WW1 two plane Starter Packs in stock.

Stephen check your pm's (private or personal messages)

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Welcome to the Aerodrome from the State of Maine. If you can't rustle up some local pilots look into the files section and you can find a great solo system. My wife and I enjoy fighting the 'Machine' and have lost more than we won!

Welcome aboard buddy - bit late with this but been away for a few days. Lots to enjoy - have fun

Late to the party, (Anniversary weekend so time on the forum has been sporadic) but welcome from Orrygun, Stephen.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
    Still learning the rules, but I must admit I quite like the bombing rules. Seems like a combination of luck and math are involved in hitting the target, really need to pick up a HE-111.
    Don't think I've quite ran into any rules that are completely over my head yet, although I'm guessing that working out the bombers gun positions will get me there lol.

A belated welcome from across the pond.

Similar Missions

1. Central England New player
    By Hereford in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-06-2015, 13:26