Ares Games

Thread: New Pilot here

klonoa

Default New Pilot here

Hi everyone. New pilot reporting in from Northern California. As a seasoned Tie Interceptor pilot I thought I would try my luck in a slightly different type of craft. Very excited I was able to find Famous Aces and the Rule and Accessory pack at a couple local shops around here. Picked up a couple minis and the duel packs are in the mail! Only have a couple games under my belt but I was looking at scenarios. Is there a good place to get started with those? Anyway excited to be here!

Welcome to the Drome Daniel. Trust in your guns and always watch your six.

Welcome to the group, I know you'll enjoy it here. I don't know where you can play in CA, but I'm sure a few members will contact you to let you know.

Welcome to the Aerodrome Daniel!

Welcome to the Aerodrome Daniel. For scenarios try looking at the solo OTT campaigns. Lots of scenarios! They don't have to be solo games. I have run a few at conventions.

(Welcoming head bobs) from the lizard.

Welcome to the Dark Side, Daniel. It is certainly a fun game!

Welcome to the 'drome.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Welcome to the 'drome from W. KY.
    Like Peter said, you can go to the OTT Scenarios in the WWI section or just use your imagination and pick a couple of planes and fly them against each other.
    A good way to learn their flying characteristics is to put your planes side by side and fly them in a race to see who can get to a specific point first and who can turn the best.
    However you do it, have fun and keep us informed via the AARs.

klonoa

I was originally planning on mostly sticking to dog fights (still am to an extent) but looking at all the scenario rules in the book has peaked my curiosity. I am just wondering if I have everything I need for scenarios, I currently have the Rules and Accessories pack as well as a few scout type planes. I don't have any of the two seaters, multi engine or bomber type planes. I do see that the RAP comes with some cards that I assume are AA guns?

Welcome from DE.
    This is a wonderful game and this community is super.
    I have not had the pleasure to play X-wing yet, but it looks cool... Ah, please don't tempt me with another game €:>0)

Hi Dan welcome from Australia on the other side of the Pacific.

If you are looking for mission ideas check out the WW1 Mission Discussion thread here http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/for...on-Discussions

Lots of good ideas there.

Smile

G'day Daniel & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    As you see from Carl's post we have an active WoG community here in Australia.

May I suggest you grab a 2 seater from both sides as these let you expand your games to include Recon, Artillery Spotting & Bombing.
    Certainly adds more dimension to the Game & your scouts can try & interrupt the mission.

I would recommend you try to get aircraft from the similar time period.

Good luck & enjoy this great game.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Daniel, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by klonoa View Post
    I was originally planning on mostly sticking to dog fights (still am to an extent) but looking at all the scenario rules in the book has peaked my curiosity. I am just wondering if I have everything I need for scenarios, I currently have the Rules and Accessories pack as well as a few scout type planes. I don't have any of the two seaters, multi engine or bomber type planes. I do see that the RAP comes with some cards that I assume are AA guns?
    There are flak guns, AAMG, and trenches there to use as well as bomb cards Daniel. A two seater per side can really open up your gaming options. Hereare a couple of threads that may help you. Welcome to the 'drome by the way.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Aircraft-lt-lt
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ased-minis-WWI

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

welcome to the drome daniel!!! "As a seasoned Tie Interceptor pilot I thought I would try my luck in a slightly different type of craft" so i take it youll be flying the oh so colorful aircraft of the central powers?

LOOP

Welcome to the Drome Daniel

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Glad you've found your way to the Forum, Daniel! I'm sure you will enjoy it here as much as I have - lots of great folks and great information.

All the best,
    Matt

Welcome to the 'Drome, Daniel, from Middlesex in the U.K.

The RAP has everything you need, apart from planes and whatever scenery you may want to use.

Fly safe!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Hi Daniel, welcome from England.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Daniel.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    Welcome to the 'drome from W. KY.
    Like Peter said, you can go to the OTT Scenarios in the WWI section or just use your imagination and pick a couple of planes and fly them against each other.
    A good way to learn their flying characteristics is to put your planes side by side and fly them in a race to see who can get to a specific point first and who can turn the best.
    However you do it, have fun and keep us informed via the AARs.
    Welcome from Vancouver Island, Canada!

I usually suggest putting two objects (pylons) on a table, and trying to fly figure-8's around them. Nothing shows up the maneuverability differences in planes like this. Learning to do it well, no matter the plane is a challenge. Turning radius in a SPAD? What turn radius?

Having played a bit of X-Wing, the only thing I can suggest for you is not to try to match planes for equal "value". There is a thread giving estimated points values for different planes, but most Forum members will tell you that, historically, it was never about a fair fight.

The overarching principle of Aerial Combat is Air Superiority. For the most part, the allied (Entente) side had theater or front Air Superiority for most of WWI, and the Axis (Central Powers) had local Air Superiority by concentrating planes in a small area for specific purposes or battles.

Use the scenarios you find in threads and discussions on the Forum, but don't be afraid of throwing a few planes together in a battle. The challenge of Wings of Glory is to take a plane into a fight, and outflying your opponent(s). Re-enacting William Barker's 1 vs 60 plane dogfight would take a while, but only an extremely lucky individual, even with awesome pilot abilities, would have made it out alive. Are you feeling lucky?

PS: Flying a few games against Andy [nightbomber] shows you what experience and knowledge of maneuver decks can do. He gets more guns on target than any other player I have had the pleasure of playing. He might survive the Barker scenario against average players.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Hi Daniel - welcome to the 'drome from here in a sunny UK

Another welcome message from here in Dear old Blighty Daniel.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Daniel.

Welcome from just a bit north of you in Portland, Orrygun.

Bien venue from Brittany France

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Howdy from Kansas, Daniel! Great to have you with us!

Welcome from Devon, England Daniel - have fun

Welcome from Alameda, CA, birthplace of Jimmy Doolittle.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2016, 08:46
  2. New Pilot
    By skywatcher in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-21-2013, 06:05
  3. National New Pilot
    By skipper in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 21:47
  4. New Pilot