Ares Games

Thread: WGF FB01 - Enter the Englandgeschwader (WGF historical scenario for 1 or 3 players)

Default WGF FB01 - Enter the Englandgeschwader (WGF historical scenario for 1 or 3 players)

English Channel, 25 May 1917: Taking off from their Belgian bases at 1400hrs, 23 Gotha bombers flew west on the first massed raid on the British Isles by the Englandgeschwader. Unable to attack London due to bad weather the Englandgeschwader diverted to the port of Folkestone, an embarkation point for troops bound for France. Preceded by the drone of their engines referred to as ‘the Gotha Hum’, the German formation dropped 50 bombs on the town untroubled by either anti-aircraft defences or fighters. As the Gothas made the return crossing over the Channel a single RNAS Sopwith Pup from Dover finally caught up with the formation, its pilot Flight Lieutenant Reginald Leslie attacking the rearmost bomber.

This is a WGF historical scenario for 1 or 3 players fielding two Special bomber pack Gotha G.Vs (Aschoff & Von Korff) and either an unofficial Sopwith Pup scout or as a substitute a Series 6 Sopwith Triplane.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WGF FB01 Enter the Englandgeschwader.jpg  Views: 57  Size: 261.5 KB  ID: 201933" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The original PDF document for this scenario can be downloaded here - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2362

This is the first of the 'First Blitz' series I am uploading in chronological order covering aerial engagements that occurred during the German bombing campaign against Britain from May 1917 to May 1918.

In many instances the Allied aircraft used against the Gotha and Zeppelin Staaken bombers have yet to be produced as Ares (or Nexus) miniatures. In these circumstances I will provide the statistics for unofficial aircraft as generated by the WGF Unofficial Aircraft Stats Committee and also suggest substitute official miniatures that can be used to play out these missions.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 07-11-2016 at 20:48.

LOOP

This would be a hard nut to crack for a single pup.
    I must give it a go!!

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    This would be a hard nut to crack for a single pup.
    I must give it a go!!
    Flt. Sub-Lt. Reginald Leslie was driven off, it remains to be seen if any of us can do better!

The second scenario in the series WGF FB02 A Rough Reception deals with the same formation as it approaches the Belgian coast. I have suggested if the scenarios are played in sequence the Gotha appearing in FB02 could carry over any damage suffered in FB01.

LOOP

I really like these little scenarios of yours Carl
    This one presents a great challenge for the entente pilot but war ain't fair so why shall scenarios be so

I played this one today Carl - sadly my camera packed up as I started but as it was only a Pup I pressed on without. After lunch when the camera had re-charged I was able to photo the end result....

Name:	SAM_7740.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	202516
    Gotha Down !

Name:	SAM_7741.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	202517
    2Lt Miles Long RTB / WIA / 1 kill - 1 HP remaining !

I played the Giants no explosion rule - could have knocked me down with a feather when I dropped the Boom on it and a fortuitous jam allowed me to get in close and finish him off with the 3 & 1 with +1's at close range.
    So it can happen.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. “Englandgeschwader” London Raids 1917-1918
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-03-2024, 09:20