Ares Games

Thread: WGS with WGF rules?

Default WGS with WGF rules?

Has anyone tried to play Wings WWII with a 3 card system like WGF? I really enjoy WGF but I find that the play of WGS is just not as appealing. I am also not too keen on the constant speed changes you can do every turn. I have a bunch of really nice WWII war-birds and just don't want to give up on the game. I was thinking about using the 3 card system and restricting the unrealistic "throttle up's" and "downs". I figured with all the hard core Wings hobbyists this would be the place to ask. Please let me know your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Nowotny View Post
    Has anyone tried to play Wings WWII with a 3 card system like WGF? I really enjoy WGF but I find that the play of WGS is just not as appealing. I am also not too keen on the constant speed changes you can do every turn. I have a bunch of really nice WWII war-birds and just don't want to give up on the game. I was thinking about using the 3 card system and restricting the unrealistic "throttle up's" and "downs". I figured with all the hard core Wings hobbyists this would be the place to ask. Please let me know your thoughts.
    youd have to copy some of the cards. theres only 2 of each maneuver card in the deck. so no third straight or turn or sideslip is possible in a plot as is. i like wgf better as well. wgs is still good (especially with a moderator) but the constant stopping to plot slows down gameplay.

I like both versions, but the three card phases of the WWI game seems a bit clunky to me. If you get it wrong, you're off across the mat, and out of the fight for a turn, at least. The maneuverability of the planes helps, and the limited damage of A and B guns lengthens the game. Not that a "long" game is bad.

The two card WWII version allows immediate correction of your errors (picking the wrong direction of turn, notwithstanding). In my demo games, I allow players to choose the speed as they lay the card on the table. The problem with this version is the damage that results from the weapons. Some argue that cannons are too powerful, but that is realism, as far as I am concerned. It has occurred that any type of damage weapon can instantly take out an opponent, from a single A chit from a Gladiator taking out a Beaufort, to a long range P-51D shot against another Beaufort using an A and B chit (the Beaufort pilot drew two wound special damages, one on each chit, and then drew two random crew designation chits designating both wounds to the pilot!).

During my latest WWII demo game, we tried using the wounded pilot rules, having the wounded pilots plan and move first, with everyone else plan and move next. Everyone fired together. But with the wounded pilot moving and planning first, anticipating his moves was no longer necessary. You knew where he was going before planning your next move. We are going to introduce veteran pilots in our next game. Understand that this adds planning time to the game, as successive pilots move and plan. However, it really gives the flavor of experienced pilots over rookies.

Using WWI maneuver decks in WWII games is an easier transfer, but as Phillip says above, you need extra cards to go the other way. Also, you can't just copy all the maneuvers, as there are limitations in the flight characteristics in different planes. I don't know what maneuvers were chosen for each deck, based on the plane, but without that knowledge, there is a real possibility of allowing a plane to do impossible things. Would a Gladiator be able to do two sharp turns together? I would think that you would not allow using two sharp turns together, but alternate sharp and shallow. You'd need two sharp turns in your deck, which might let users think it was OK to do two together. That was never intended in the two moves planned version. So, be careful in your adaptation, if you go that way.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thanks for your input on this so far guys. I'm sure it will require a bit of tweaking to get it right. I am just not happy with the current one card method

Interesting that we are not limiting ourselves to a rigid rule system for either game, and try different things.

This was a discussion for changing things the other way: WGF - Anybody Use One Card?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. Card rules vs mini rules
    By petitbilbo in forum Polls
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-06-2014, 03:52
  2. Rules
    By itchy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 16:23
  3. new altitude rules in Rules and Accessories Pack?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 15:12
  4. WoW vs DoW rules
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 14:44
  5. Deluxe rules vs fire in the sky rules.
    By Racker in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 08:19