Ares Games

Thread: AAR - O/400 Rampage!

Default AAR - O/400 Rampage!

I dropped a Handley Page O/400 over to my father today so naturally we had to break out the Wings of Glory and get a game going. We decided to take a fighter each and run the O/400 using the automatic aircraft rules. Dad selected a Fokker D.VIII (his favourite WW1 fighter) and I took the Sachsenberg Fokker D.VII.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7253.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	201611

After the preliminary maneuvering I ended up head to head to head with the bomber. Two cards each left two of the O/400 crew wounded (pilot and rear gunner) and my D.VII crashing out of the sky!!! I decided to run the bomber while Dad kept up the fight.

Name:	IMG_7254.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	201612

Dad pressed his attack also exchanging fire with the forward gunner.

Name:	IMG_7256.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	201613

The O/400 pushed on to the target - a bridge to a major industrial complex.

Name:	IMG_7257.jpg 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	201614

Dad had passed behind the bomber and coming about was racing to catch up.

Name:	IMG_7258.jpg 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	201615

All the maneuvering had caused the O/400 to overshoot the bridge so it came back around for another run at the target. Dad caught up making another head-on attack and the dead-eye front gunner claims another scalp!

Name:	IMG_7259.jpg 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	201616

Dad and I decided to fly on some reinforcements. He took his Pfalz D.IIIa and I pulled out a Siemens Schuckert D.III.

Name:	IMG_7260.jpg 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	201617

We attacked together and only my S-S D.III took return fire.

Name:	IMG_7261.jpg 
Size:	224.4 KB 
ID:	201618

I banked away intending to Immelmann back but the front gunner again hit the mark wounding my pilot. Dad got a close range burst in as the bomber released his bomb-load.

Name:	IMG_7262.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	201619

Dad then turned to get behind the O/400 but ended up colliding with the bomber. Both aircraft took significant damage and Dad's pilot was wounded. Things were looking grim for the Luftstreitkraefte....

Name:	IMG_7263.jpg 
Size:	238.2 KB 
ID:	201620

Dad kept the turn going as the O/400's bombs missed their target.

Name:	IMG_7264.jpg 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	201621

The O/400 headed for home, but with the rear gunner wounded it was now vulnerable. Dad's Pfalz got a good burst in wounding the other pilot.

Name:	IMG_7265.jpg 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	201622

In the race to catch up with the bomber Dad and I clipped each other, fortunately with minimal effect.

Name:	IMG_7266.jpg 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	201623

We both finally caught the O/400, with Dad finishing him off with a good 4 point burst.

This was Dad's first time opposing one of the big bombers and he was suitably impressed. The front gunner was a bloody deadly opponent!!

That front gunner was a bit of a dead eye **** wasn't he ?! Great game with your Dad Carl, moments to treasure.
    You're doing yourselves over in the collisions though - you only have to count numerical damage and the explosion in collisions.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Fantastic that you and your Dad get to fly together. Great showing for the HP.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You're doing yourselves over in the collisions though - you only have to count numerical damage and the explosion in collisions.
    Of course, why did I not remember that? Must be getting old! As it ended up the critical damage had no material effect on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Fantastic that you and your Dad get to fly together. Great showing for the HP.
    Dad is an aviation fanatic, which he passed down to me.

I have been buying him the odd Wings of War/Glory miniature since I started in 2008 and now he has about 20 (including a balloon busters set).

Nice one guys. Hoping to take my son on next week - looking forward to that Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks Mike. Hard to get my son to play these days he has moved on to computer and role-playing games. I am hoping he will gravitate back when I start another local campaign.

Thumbs up

Great to see your Dad is still a keen player Carl.
    Those giant Bombers make for a fun Game as you found out. Interesting that all the Boom Cards came from that "ace" gunner.

Some day I am going to get a bomber...but for now my wife and I each grab a recon and a fighter and duke it out 2 vs 2. Still have not gotten out my balloon and given her a crack at it...maybe this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Some day I am going to get a bomber...but for now my wife and I each grab a recon and a fighter and duke it out 2 vs 2. Still have not gotten out my balloon and given her a crack at it...maybe this week.
    Can't get my wife interested in playing the game however as she is an avid scrap-booker she understands the hobby angle and is supportive of my Wings habit.