Ares Games

Thread: Bombing issues.

Default Bombing issues.

I have just spent a very frustrating evening trying to bomb my opponent's headquarters while he in turn was trying to bomb mine.
    So off we go, with my 2 Breguet 14's against Doug's 2 Hanover CL3,s, heading toward each others HQ's whilst trying to get a few shots in on the way as our paths crossed.
    I was first into bombing range and missed while Doug had not quite managed to get within range of his target.
    Now to the problem. We have two sets of rules with regard to the bombing. Doug's set, which he is adamant that he downloaded from the official site, is titled:
    " Original rules by Andrea Angiolino and Pier Giorgio Paglia"
    "This compilation by Iain McGhee"
    I can't find them on the official site.
    Now I am using the Accessories Pack rules copyright 2014 and there are differences in the instructions for bombing procedures. For instance the accessories pack rules say "no bombing if at level 1" but the other rule set allows this. This from the bombing from altitude section.
    So we managed to spend most of our time trying, unsuccessfully, to figure out the correct bombing procedure.
    Can anybody help? Has anybody else come across these Iain McGhee rules and are they incorrect or not?
    Any assistance in this matter would be very much appreciated.

Exclamation

Reg I think you might find that the McGhee rules were taken from the Rule Book before Altitude was introduced later.
    The current "No bombing at Level 1" is correct if using Altitude & replicates the danger of getting your Aircraft damaged from your own Bomb Blast!

Reg, the rules regarding altitude changed on the release of the RAP - it affected max alt of models as well as the bombing alt but they are the latest official iteration and are the ones to be used. The compilation is out of date and may well have been extracted from WoW FotG rules which are also ood in this respect. (they allow bombing from any alt above 0. Now it's above 1)
    You may not need it but here is a bombing diagram from the files that I find useful.

After a little digging:
    Alt Level 1 = No bombing permitted.
    Alt Level 2 = Bomb impact immediately.
    Alt Level 3 - 4 = bombs fall 1 straight/stall as required by move on which bombs released
    Alt Level 5 - 6 = bombs fall 2 straight/stall as required..
    and so on.
    Last edited by flash; 07-07-2016 at 23:03.

"He is wise who watches"

I think that the Iain McGhee might date from the time of the Nexus rules when the minimum altitude was 0. In the Ares version, the minimum altitude of 1 represents "just above the ground", hence no bombing or you will blow yourself up.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Reg, the rules regarding altitude changed on the release of the RAP - it affected max alt of models as well as the bombing alt but they are the latest official iteration and are the ones to be used. The compilation is out of date and may well have been extracted from WoW FotG rules which are also ood in this respect. (they allow bombing from any alt above 0. Now it's above 1)
    You may not need it but here is a bombing diagram from the files that I find useful.

After a little digging:
    Alt Level 1 = No bombing permitted.
    Alt Level 2 = Bomb impact immediately.
    Alt Level 3 - 4 = bombs fall 1 straight/stall as required by move on which bombs released
    Alt Level 5 - 6 = bombs fall 2 straight/stall as required..
    and so on.
    Thanks Flash. I can't find this one but already have the "Bombing for Dummies" (not actually called that in the files, by the way) sheet which is very good but doesn't cover altitude.

Now I know that the McGhee rules are definitely out of date my discussions with Doug might be a bit easier.
    Thanks all for your responses. Very helpful.

I have they file too, it is great.

Does anyone know if there is a good bombing reference chart both with and without altitude?

Without altitude the bombs impact directly they are dropped. I don't think there is a chart other than what's given in the rules which is pretty much what I quoted above Ken.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Site issues
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 14:59
  2. US Distribution Issues
    By pflanzer in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 14:56
  3. Fuel issues
    By GuySajerGD in forum WGS: General Discussions