Ares Games
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WOG using Xwing dice

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    i would love to play cards against your opponent, they obviously have no poker face! Barry Gullyraker is the best 'zero magnet' I have ever come across but you can never tell what he picks up. I just assume they are all zeroes and celebrate when it turns out I actually damaged his aircraft. Preferably by setting it alight!!
    Now, now Carl!
    I did draw some nasty damage in a few of those Wintercon Games & the Zero Magnet ran out of positive attraction completely when I was flying that Macchi Seaplane.

Quote Originally Posted by BellMW54 View Post
    I agree. I can see the merits of using dice for determining hits but not for flying skills. Further, I'd rather see FEWER dice and a simple combat results table with columns for range, different machine gun and pilot attributes and critical hits ... more like those used in the old WWI Aerial boardgames. Keep It Simple ...
    The very first game of "Wings' I ever played way back when used a dice based system like this (also used 1/72 models and manoeuvre cards blown up to match). It worked pretty well.

Started a new group that uses this system. Everyone liked it so far.
    Here is my latest version.

Firing: red dice
    - twin guns 4 dice
    - single gun 3 dice
    - close range change a blank to a hit

Defense: green dice
    - fighters 2 dice
    - non fighter single engine 1 die
    - multi engine aircraft 0 die

Vet and ace pilots can do an action: focus, evade, unjam or do a restricted maneuver.
    Rookies can never focus or evade.
    Multi engine aircraft pilots do not get any actions except what is on their maneuver decks.
    Non ace gunners can: fire, bomb, photo, unjam or observe.
    Aircraft on Fire is a terrible ordeal. Pilot does not get any actions and cannot fly straight and a gunner cannot do anything either.

Turn order
    move order
    - multi engine aircraft
    - non-fighter single engine aircraft
    - rookie fighter
    - veteran fighter
    - ace fighter
    firing order is reversed except an ace has the option to fire first or after the rookie fighter.

Firing: roll red dice and modify then roll green dice and modify
    after comparing dice if you have any hits take a card from the "B" deck.
    If you take a critical take 2 cards from the "A" deck.
    If a 0 card comes up resolve any specials (gun jams, ect) and turn the card face down.
    All face down cards are 1 point all face up are worth their printed value.

There are 3 levels of aces
    Level one aces with 5 to 10 victories only move last and have the fire option (5pts)

Level two aces with 11 to 20 victories adds one of the following:
    Great Shooter (8pts) change a hit to a crit
    Evasive (6pts) change a blank to an evade
    Acrobatic Pilot (7pts) pilot may perform a non-straight maneuver after an Immelmann.
    Bullet Checker (6pts) ignores green jam cards
    Daredevil (4pts) pilot may perform 2 steep maneuvers in a row.
    Good at Escaping (3pts) pilot’s a/c may not be tailed except by a good at escaping ace.
    Lucky Pilot (3pts) pilot may ignore a single damage card during the game
    Incendiary Bullets (3pts) treat smoke and 5 damage card as fire
    Sharpshooter (3pts) can make an hit a crit
    Strong Constitution (2pts) ingnores the first wound on himself

Level 3 aces 21 plus victories can have multiple ace skills
    including - can perform 2 actions(10pts)

Chivalrous Aptitude (-3pts) target ignores smoke and fire. If explosion card is drawn another card is drawn if the result is a 0 the a/c is eliminated if any other card use that result. This ace may choose 2 other skills except incendiary bullets.
    Rookie (-10pts) cannot fire after a steep or Immelmann. +1 turn to unjam, fire damage is resolved after all others. Cannot tail.

Injured pilot: +1 turn to unjam phases to unjam, cannot fire after a steep or Immelmann.

Still a work in progress.

X-Wing of Glory?

If it works for you, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    The very first game of "Wings' I ever played way back when used a dice based system like this (also used 1/72 models and manoeuvre cards blown up to match). It worked pretty well.
    YESSSSS!!!! Let's hear it for the old Airfix and Revell 1/72s! That's how I started back in the late '60s with a pretty inferior set of home-grown rules ... but it WAS fun ... certainly better than MB's "Dogfight"! My friends and I spent a lot of rainy afternoons and boring afternoons during summer vacation playing reconstructed scenes from the "Blue Max".

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    I have worked on such a prototype for some time. Let's see if it gets anywhere...
    Sadly, regardless of how good and simple the combat results table may be, it will never be as immediate as the damage card system is. Further, there is room for error ... such as forgetting a modifier. You would also have to resolve how damage would be tracked ... another delay ... and, ultimately, you'd be giving up the secrecy of the planes' damage. I like the current system utilized in WoG. I just feel we need to be able to purchase more damage card decks (particularly the A and B decks) to raise the odds to more of a dice-like result in our combat and keep the game moving.

Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by BellMW54 View Post
    Sadly, regardless of how good and simple the combat results table may be, it will never be as immediate as the damage card system is. Further, there is room for error ... such as forgetting a modifier. You would also have to resolve how damage would be tracked ... another delay ... and, ultimately, you'd be giving up the secrecy of the planes' damage. I like the current system utilized in WoG. I just feel we need to be able to purchase more damage card decks (particularly the A and B decks) to raise the odds to more of a dice-like result in our combat and keep the game moving.

Just sayin'...
    I wholeheartedly agree!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Missions

1. Using Dice for damage
    By drsid in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 10:17
  2. Using dice for Damage?
    By Seiseki in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 14:03