Ares Games

Thread: Building a BE2c.

Default Building a BE2c.

In deference to several requests about building an easy aircraft for beginners, I give you the BE2c.
    It will also fill a niche in the upcoming series 5 release. This is yet another offering from Skytrex.
    1. Fettle the casting and if required make an extension to the rudder. I found on all pictures that I came across that it was longer than on the model casting. I just filed a bit of the sprue that the parts came on, until it looked the part.
    2. No bottom wing to worry about as it comes ready fitted on this casting.
    3. Glue in the wing struts to the lower mainplane in pairs checking for vertical laterally but with a slight forward rake. The struts are angled to help this so don’t put them in backwards. Use the holes in the top wing pushed on dry to help with the spacing.
    4. Glue on the top wing.
    5. Add the cabine struts using tweezers to position them between the wings and glue.
    6. Turn the plane over and glue on the undercart and tail skid. I changed the supplied braces for bent paperclips to give more strength, and get rid of the skids supplied.
    7. Position the prop and crew in place but do not glue yet.
    8. Spray undercoat to suit.
    9. Remove crew and prop to aid painting.
    10. Glue on crew and prop.
    11. Add decals.
    12. Varnish to taste.

N.B. I printed my own reg no for the tailplane. The rest are Dom’s Decals and the black line is from an old strip of decal paper. The rear pointing Lewis is scratch built, but you don’t have to bother with this.
    Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0025.jpg   DSCF0028.jpg   DSCF0029.jpg   DSCF0038.jpg   DSCF0039.jpg  

"Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jared
    Sorties Flown

from the pictures on the skytrex website, it looked awful and not a good kit, but you have proved otherwise. I might actually want a heap of early war planes now that the british can have their workhorse two seater (aka sitting duck).

Very nice too. I quite like the early stuff in clear dope.

Jared's right - Skytrex don't do themselves any favours with the pics on their website as the paint jobs aren't too good. But this one looks like it's worth getting, if only to give my E.III some target practice.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Wow, that looks great. I have seen the SkyTrex kits in person, and have always been put off by them. But this build looks really nice!

Nice work Rob!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

What they said.... Very nice work, and it does look a passably easy build for a good result (except for those ropey looking roundels, obviously....) Thanks for posting - one more thing to add to my shopping list when I finally get a few of my current build pile done....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    What they said.... Very nice work, and it does look a passably easy build for a good result (except for those ropey looking roundels, obviously....) Thanks for posting - one more thing to add to my shopping list when I finally get a few of my current build pile done....
    Thanks for the compliment Dom.Praise from you is not to be taken lightly.
    I like the decals, so there. Wonder who makes them?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Beautifully done, Rob.
    John.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Rob and I appear to have syncronised our modelling! I finished my BE2c last night too. I have to say it's not one of Skytrex's better offerings, even made as nicely as Rob's.

The casting of my fuselage / lower wing was a bit rough, but more to the point, the entire lower wing assembly is set too far forward on the fuselage. This in turn puts the upper wing too far forward so the cabine struts won't line up unless you reduce the stagger. As Kitey points out, the entire vertical fin is missing, but easily added from plasticard or similar.

Nice work. A veritable silk purse from a sow's ear. Makes mine look a bit sad, especially as I seem to have put the decals on too far outboard.

On the subject of decals, a sheet of generic black and white stripes and R/W/B tail stripes in assorted widths would be incredibly useful. I've just finished my Biff, and had to use a letter 'I' off Dom's Snipe sheet and extend it by hand to make the unit marking. Not fun.

A very nice tidy job there Rob. Well done matey.

Similar Missions

1. Building a FE. 2B
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 13:18
  2. Building the Gotha.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 13:07
  3. Building a Flat Top
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8