Ares Games
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: WGS Battle of Britain Update

What is this "BoardGameGeek" you speak of?

I am in on writing something juicy and giving a great rating as soon as I get my mitts on those planes, hopefully tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    What is this "BoardGameGeek" you speak of?

I am in on writing something juicy and giving a great rating as soon as I get my mitts on those planes, hopefully tomorrow...
    Board Game Geek is an on-line forum for rating, describing and otherwise sharing information and thoughts about board games. I don't know how long it's been up, but at least 10 years plus.
    https://boardgamegeek.com/
    I have found it helpful in many ways, including files, scenarios and extras players and publishers post. Also, to find out if what a games about.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Sorry, my humor is at times as dry as the white baked sand at the center of a south Pacific dessert island. I am all over the BGG site and enjoy posting WGS related stuff there. However, BGG Tokhuah is much more of a jerk than WoW Tokhuah...

It would be great if the Wings line had more of a fan presence on BGG, including liking photos so they are seen on the front page, because it is a way to show the larger gaming community (that tends to love miniatures) the awesomeness of this line of games.

WOW that is a great photo of all the Wings inventory. So many there sitting on a pallet. It must be like Christmas every time you receive a shipment and get to open the boxes.

Sorry, my humor is at times as dry as the white baked sand at the center of a south Pacific dessert island. I am all over the BGG site and enjoy posting WGS related stuff there. However, BGG Tokhuah is much more of a jerk than WoW Tokhuah...

It would be great if the Wings line had more of a fan presence on BGG, including liking photos so they are seen on the front page, because it is a way to show the larger gaming community (that tends to love miniatures) the awesomeness of this line of games.
    Ah, well.........
    I admit I should be posting more on BBG; I don't go there very much, but supporting this game there is a good thing.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Ah, well.........
    I admit I should be posting more on BBG; I don't go there very much, but supporting this game there is a good thing.
    Karl
    Might be nice if we could tie them in with our Over the Trenches campaign AARs

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Just noticed some of the game suppliers are already out of stock for these minis! Get 'em while you can!

Sometimes you have to be quick.

My deluxe set is on the way.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Sometimes you have to be quick.

My deluxe set is on the way.
    Well done Sven!
    You will love it.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

WOOHOO!! Thanks Keith! I just received my BoB starter set in the mail. Can't wait until next Wednesday to open it on my Birthday. The time will drag on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    WOOHOO!! Thanks Keith! I just received my BoB starter set in the mail. Can't wait until next Wednesday to open it on my Birthday. The time will drag on now.
    Well if I say Happy Birthday from France does that allow you to open your nice new packages, France bieng hours , if not days ahead of US time

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    Well if I say Happy Birthday from France does that allow you to open your nice new packages, France being hours , if not days ahead of US time
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 03-24-2017 at 12:29.

First 2 of 4 waves has arrived, too busy to open them at the moment! : ( Other real life issues, but soon, soon the light! . . . need to get my Chain Home set up!

Last edited by clipper1801; 03-24-2017 at 15:12. Reason: Add pictures!

Just got the email from Keith - my new planes are on the way!

Alert 'Luftflotte Helmut'!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Just a heads up everyone. I had an issue with the blue and white acrylic, so I had to substitute silver engraved on back for the bonus prop rulers. It might have actually worked out better this way any how. I was planning on offering blue and white as a standard option going forward, so this makes the silver and black truly unique to this release. I hope everyone is okay with the switch.

Battle of Britain (or should I say Bay Area) has arrived at Endgame Oakland just moments ago:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170324_175933.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	219733

Interesting thing happened. The staff were supper stoked and were talking about ordering more (because the box was a single special order purchase). They said something curious, they thought the game had died and this was a big relaunch... There is an obvious need to ramp up the in-trade publicity.

RE: Endgame
    I know there is an active war game crowd and many expertly painted miniatures adorn display cases throughout the store. How to get that crowd into WGS... The first step is to traverse those metal steps before me to the loft with 8'x4' tables and gamers milling about.

My order's still MIA.

Got the email confirming shipping this morning. Panic attacks averted.

All BoB pre-orders have now been processed (including yours Mick).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boxes.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	219776

Interesting thing happened. The staff were super stoked and were talking about ordering more (because the box was a single special order purchase). They said something curious, they thought the game had died and this was a big relaunch... There is an obvious need to ramp up the in-trade publicity.
    This is a common occurrence across gaming stores. A few months back I got the same response from a chain store 'Good Games' over here in Australia.

I hope this release helps raise the profile of 'Wings' back to 2009-2010 levels.

P.S. The latest question I have been asked is 'so when is Ares releasing another WW1 starter set?'

Got my email notice...can't wait!

Unfortunately I won't be able to open the lot until Friday night and I have a Saturday morning game to run. I don't think I'll have the time to decal all the planes needed but at least I'll have the correct planes.

BoB, here we come!

Down at "Entoyment" on Saturday, Pete Valinski confirmed that the Battle of Britain Starter sets and planes are en route to him, and should arrive in the next few days.
    Also mentioned that most of the Starter sets have already sold as pre-orders!

Excellent

My sets are currently in a UPS depot in San Francisco!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Down at "Entoyment" on Saturday, Pete Valinski confirmed that the Battle of Britain Starter sets and planes are en route to him, and should arrive in the next few days.
    Also mentioned that most of the Starter sets have already sold as pre-orders!
    Those pre sales are a very good sign Tim. I just hope that there is a resupply action plan in place this time.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Cool Stuff and Miniature Market here the the state's are running low and out . . . Get them while you can! Looks like the aerodrome store stock is running low as well . . . Is there a second wind coming? I hope so

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Cool Stuff and Miniature Market here the the state's are running low and out . . . Get them while you can! Looks like the aerodrome store stock is running low as well . . . Is there a second wind coming? I hope so
    This is a good sign that there is a healthy market here. I hope ARES produced enough starter sets to be able to keep them on stock at the retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    This is a good sign that there is a healthy market here. I hope ARES produced enough starter sets to be able to keep them on stock at the retailers.
    When I arrived at the "Entoyment" store, there was a three-mat WGF game in full swing, with some of the chaps we played with/against at 'Beachhead'!
    I was annoyed I didn't have time to stay on and shoot them all down!

Keen group of players down there, at least.

Yeah,
    my BoB box and 2 Hurricanes and 2 Stuka's just arrived.
    And to add to my joy ... Mr. Customsman let them through without charging any duties
    Thanks Keith for the speedy service
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

In that case Guss mine should be here at any time soon.
    Thanks for the heads up and enjoy your new aircraft.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    In that case Guss mine should be here at any time soon.
    Thanks for the heads up and enjoy your new aircraft.
    Rob.
    Wot he said
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Received my preorder yesterday and immediately pulled them out... they look great!

I spent five minutes with the hobby knife removing the bombs from the Bf.109s and Hurricanes, it was quite trivial to do and they came off very easily. There is minimal disruption to the surface afterwards, just a small circular peg cut flush to the surface. Could be painted over very easily or simply ignored (it is on the bottom of the plane, after all).

The Bf.109 and Spitfires look great! The Hurricane's decalage decal edges could stand a bit of attention but they're far from disappointing.

Overall, very pleased with the quality of the starter set contents. The move to a softbound manual is fine, it's actually a bit easier to thumb through.

Hope there is plenty of stock for those interested in getting going with the game - it would be terrible for this stuff to evaporate from shelves just as its finally gotten here, and then become very hard to find. Let's hope that's not the case!
    Last edited by surfimp; 03-29-2017 at 05:52.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Placed my order a week ago with Miniature Market and it is in shipment.
    I've also looked at FRPGames and they had a good supply of Spitfires but were out of Stukas and Hurricanes. Which is what I need now.

Aerodrome still has Stuka's and Coolstuff has both.

I'm currently out of Hurricanes, but more are already making the flight to me. Spitfires, Stukas are in stock and I actually have a lot of 109s in stock and those are marked down a little more than normal right now.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

Great job Keith, got mine and have finished the decals, all looks good.

Here is a list of R.A.F. Battle of Britain squadrons giving their squadron letters, if anyone is thinking of converting their planes, it may be useful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tain_squadrons

My two young sons and I had a game with our new BoB starter tonight. My youngest boy's favorite plane is the Spitfire, and I'll be darned if he didn't shoot down both the Bf.109s with it! We had a great time. Good stuff!

Great to see another generation enjoying the planes!

Mine arrived A O K this morning thanks Keith.
    Rob.

It is good to hear about your two young sons interest in the game, Steve. It is amazing how successful youngsters are, even in their first game.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    It is good to hear about your two young sons interest in the game, Steve. It is amazing how successful youngsters are, even in their first game.
    Thanks! They're 10 and 12 now (so I guess not that young anymore? heh) and have been playing Wings of Glory for three years now. It's one of our favorite games and has given us hours of family fun. We mainly focus on WGF but this new starter has us getting the WWII stuff out again and that's great!

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    My two young sons and I had a game with our new BoB starter tonight. My youngest boy's favorite plane is the Spitfire, and I'll be darned if he didn't shoot down both the Bf.109s with it! We had a great time. Good stuff!
    That's very encouraging and rather lovely. I'm planning to let my two (seven & a half and almost six) loose on BoB this weekend. Any tips as to how you handled it?

Tom
    Last edited by Conall; 03-30-2017 at 08:16. Reason: read post immediate before!

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    That's very encouraging and rather lovely. I'm planning to let my two (seven & a half and almost six) loose on BoB this weekend. Any tips as to how you handled it?
    I started miniatures gaming with my boys in 2014. My oldest has some health issues that prevent him from being able to participate in the sort of typical team sports that young boys are into, so I wanted to see if tabletop gaming could offer him a way to experience achievement without being hindered by his physical limitations. He's quite sharp and took to gaming easily, having played a wide range of systems at this point and really enjoying each of them. He even won a couple of small store tournaments, against adult opponents, in both X-Wing and Star Wars Armada! He's good.

The younger boy, who was around 7 at the time we got the first game systems, found them a bit overly complex, though he loved the models and especially building and painting miniatures (eg. Warhammer 40k troops, etc.). Now that he's a bit older, he's really taken to the Pokemon TCG and has been getting more interested in miniatures gaming, too. He prefers Wings of Glory WWI, but he absolutely adores the Spitfire, so it wasn't too hard to get him to play. And hopefully, having the experience of shooting down two Messerschmitts has further promoted the positive association!

I don't know if there's any secret to getting your kids into stuff. If the thing is intrinsically interesting, and is presented in a casual way that focuses on fun (amend the rulebook heavily as needed!), then of course most kids are going to enjoy it. I am an absolute airplane junkie and have been obsessed since an early age. My kids also have some of that (though it would be hard to match my own enthusiasm, which genuinely borders on mental illness in all likelihood), and they like having fun with dad, so it's all good.

Really, all we can do is make things available and, hopefully, fun for them. I'm not above bartering a game of Pokemon in exchange for a Wings of Glory sortie. It's all fun times with my boys!

Mine arrived this morning Keith! Thankyou!

Will be unboxing it with the kids tonight

Just looking at what people are saying and went to Mini Market to see what they have. They have everything except for the 109's. Since I have a number of all the planes just ordered the starter set as a have to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    I don't know if there's any secret to getting your kids into stuff. If the thing is intrinsically interesting, and is presented in a casual way that focuses on fun (amend the rulebook heavily as needed!), then of course most kids are going to enjoy it. I am an absolute airplane junkie and have been obsessed since an early age. My kids also have some of that (though it would be hard to match my own enthusiasm, which genuinely borders on mental illness in all likelihood), and they like having fun with dad, so it's all good.

Really, all we can do is make things available and, hopefully, fun for them. I'm not above bartering a game of Pokemon in exchange for a Wings of Glory sortie. It's all fun times with my boys!
    Thanks for sharing that - it may sound obvious to you but it's really useful. Especially the rejoinder to make it fun and to focus on their interests. And I like the idea of bartering; we play a lot of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory Ludo and Uno at the moment, so that may well work! Will keep you posted.

Tom

My 11 year old girl loves playing Pokemon but only has intermittent interest in WGS. That is ok though, she helps me with some of the WGS point system testing, has a strong Fire EX Poke deck, and board games like a pro. Where there is game there is hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    Thanks for sharing that - it may sound obvious to you but it's really useful. Especially the rejoinder to make it fun and to focus on their interests. And I like the idea of bartering; we play a lot of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory Ludo and Uno at the moment, so that may well work! Will keep you posted.
    Thanks for the nice words, Tom!

With regards to the WoG WWII system specifically, I think I'd focus on just using the Basic rules from the rulebook, using just the high speed maneuvers, and maybe with face up damage chits to ensure no one accidentally miscalculates results. I'd ignore all special damage except when Daddy's plane catches on fire (bonus points if you have the flame markers to add to the plane's base)

Wings of Glory is a very easy system to learn, and as long as the focus is on movement and the excitement of getting shots, I think the kids will pick it up easily. And if not right away, bear in mind that their minds are developing quickly, and something that doesn't appeal at 7 may become the coolest thing ever at 9, when they have great intellectual facility to keep track of the rules & positional aspects of the game.

Watching exciting historically-themed movies may help stoke interest, too. I still have fond memories of watching Baa Baa Blacksheep with my dad when I was little!

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast