Ares Games

Thread: Guns Jammed Over... Somewhere

Default Guns Jammed Over... Somewhere

A solo game based on Carl's WGF PF02 - Guns Jammed over Jerusalem scenario using some OTT rules, my D8 charts and altitude rules.
    I flew the Bristol, AI controlled the Rumpler. Started the game in range and had the target aircraft play a straight as its first manoeuvre to simulate 'the bounce'

4 June 1918: At 0810hrs a Bristol Fighter of 1 Squadron AFC piloted by Lt. Albert Tonkin with observer Lt. Richard Camm was conducting a reconnaissance nowhere near Jerusalem at 9,000 feet when they observed a German Rumpler two-seater about 3,000 feet above them. Lt. Tonkin stalked the Rumpler, his observer opened up with his twin Lewis guns firing forward over the centre section from 200 feet below....

A short burst and one of Camm's Lewis guns jams !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_7679.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	200797

Tonkin slid the Bristol right and allows Camm to get a close range shot as the Rumpler turns right to unmask his rear gunner who goes to work with his parabellum...

Name:	SAM_7680.JPG 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	200798

The parting shots do no real damage but Camm's second Lewis gun jams, much to his annoyance.

Name:	SAM_7681.JPG 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	200799

Both machines circle right and Camm clears his jammed guns, Tonkin climbs and catches the Rumpler with a long range effort, the gunner responds but hits nothing vital.

Name:	SAM_7683.JPG 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	200800

Tonkin stalls and catches the Rumpler as it turns across his nose but the usually reliable Vickers jams and little damage is done..

Name:	SAM_7684.JPG 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	200801

The combatants circled away eyeing each other warily, Tonkin has time to clear his jam before they close once more; both pilots opening up at close range, this time the German jams !

Name:	SAM_7687.JPG 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	200802

The Hun is a slippery devil and reverses his turn and they circle away from each other once more. As they turn back in the Hun gets the drop on them from fore and aft !

Name:	SAM_7691.JPG 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	200803 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_7692.JPG 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	200804

Tonkin tries a split S but again the Hun rolls off in the other than expected direction, Tonkin climbs once more but stays just below the Rumpler's level in the hope Camm can get a bead on him on the next pass which he does...

Name:	SAM_7695.JPG 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	200805

Sadly Camms parting shot does no visible damage and one of his Lewis guns runs dry but they are in the blind spot so nothing comes back at them...

Name:	SAM_7697.JPG 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	200806

Both machines circle right, Camm reloads his Lewis gun but Tonkin fancies his chances and as the Hun straightens up, to avoid a collision maybe, he lifts the nose and delivers a devastating burst that sees the Rumpler break up and fall to earth.

Name:	SAM_7699.JPG 
Size:	223.8 KB 
ID:	200807 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_7700.JPG 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	200808

Butchers Tally:

Lt. Albert Tonkin with observer Lt. Richard Camm RTB / 1 Kill

Name:	SAM_7702.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	200810

Rumpler SD-ET / 0 kills

Name:	SAM_7701.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	200809

No smoke, no fire, no booms but lots of jams and circling (which I didn't show). Got the job done eventually though but he was a very slippery customer !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Nice little action there Dave. Strange to say I've just commissioned the second of my Australian Biffs today.
    Pity your action was not near Jerusalem otherwise it would have been jam and Jerusalem!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Another nice effort, Dave.
    Those jams certainly get annoying, don't they ?

But at least no BOOM! this time.

Looks like you are itching for OTT-BE Part Deux

Thumbs up

Nicely flown Dave!
    I liked getting my Biff into action in the first TBE scenario.
    Must grab one of those AFC ones as they do look good on the table not to mention those Twin Lewis'.

Thanks for the comments chaps, hope you get to have a go yourselves. Quite enjoying these short play games.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Thanks for the comments chaps, hope you get to have a go yourselves. Quite enjoying these short play games.
    Glad to hear that Dave. I will be write up some more scenarios this weekend after I play out the next OTT mission (he says hitting refresh desperately search for the mission briefing )

LOOP

Well done Dave
    Nice and short! And great pic

Nice little scenario, Dave.

Didn't had a chance to really test my my Bristol fighters in the past.

I have the two green ones, but this AAR make me to consider the brown/white one, too...
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I am writing up more of these 'secondary front' missions over the weekend. I will post them next week when I get the chance. WGF needs more early war aircraft for much of the action in the east and Pakestine, but I will pick the encounters we can re-fight with the official crates we have.

Similar Missions

1. Jammed Guns
    By richarddaystrom in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2014, 07:20
  2. Jammed Guns Tokens
    By Captain Chum in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 21:31
  3. Jammed Guns: the reality of it all
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 30