Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WoG Format Change?

Quote Originally Posted by Canestri10 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I would not count on Galland being a very strong influence to selection the German squadron since you can get him in Series 6.
    Sorry, I might be reading this wrong are you implying Galland is the pilot of one of the 109K-4s in Series 6?
    May be Keith changed Galland and Hartmann in his mind? Two aces, both on Bf.109...

Quote Originally Posted by Canestri10 View Post
    Sorry, I might be reading this wrong but are you implying Galland is the pilot of one of the 109K-4s in Series 6?

Sorry Sam. I was at work and confused (wonder how that happens lol). I was thinking that we got Galland in S6, but it is Hartmann.

No worries man!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Fantastic!

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 07-19-2016 at 11:44.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Nifty website. Thanks.

Default New Planes???

Name:  New planes.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  155.7 KB
    I followed the links and came up with this and thought I should post it here.

Just saw all the new planes come up for sale on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by FLt Brown View Post
    Name:  New planes.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  155.7 KB
    I followed the links and came up with this and thought I should post it here.
    Thanks Ken, really looking forward to this release.

I like this and it will save money for the company to produce the planes.
    Of course, I'm speaking as a hobbyist. For those who do not like or want to put decals on the planes, they may feel different.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Von Below View Post
    I like this and it will save money for the company to produce the planes.
    Of course, I'm speaking as a hobbyist. For those who do not like or want to put decals on the planes, they may feel different.
    I can see both sides of it. But I can see at least one of the area the release may help even among casual non-hobbyist players. Many are not hobbyist and neither model or paint (gasp but its true). With this release they could field a lot more planes and in squads without repainting, or just flying the aces. This could expand the line quite a bit.

If they continue with re-releasing Waves 3 and 4 along with the others they there will be something for everyone. Those that want bigger battles with squadrons and those that may only want 1 or 2 planes of a given type and focus more on 'cool' pilots and aces. Also I'm sure, or hoping, there will be a bit of cross over too. It is my hope that Ares don't sacrifice one (reprints) for the other (squadron packs). Because me, I'm the guy who only collects a few and may never have the big squadrons.

But if they have to choose, because of limitations, then squadron packs is a way to field the most for the least amount of design etc... Even though that isn't my preferred choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    We will also see a new format late this year with the release of the BoB set for WGS. The planes in the Starter and the planes in the airplane packs will each come with a basic Squadron paint job and a small sheet of decals so that the player can make multiple planes from the same squadron if he/she so chooses. This new format will be an experimental trail with this series and the success (higher sales) will determine if that format carries over to the next release or not.
    At long last! Too late for my LGS though as he's dumping all his stock that's been gathering dust at the back of the store. My recent purchase were the only WoG aircraft he's sold this year

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    At long last! Too late for my LGS though as he's dumping all his stock that's been gathering dust at the back of the store. My recent purchase were the only WoG aircraft he's sold this year
    Last month I contacted EVERY LGS in Brisbane and confirmed that only two, Emperor's Legions and Fastbreak Sports still have stock. Fastbreak has 3 WGF aircraft (all AEF DH.4s), a WGS Shindo Zero and a blister pack of cards, and EL has a 15 WGS aircraft, mostly Japanese (3 Vals, 3 Tonys, 2 Zeros). Some of these aircraft date back to 2010. No local store has plans to re-stock the game because they can't complete with online sales. The last importer Milsims would sell online to the public for the same price they would supply stores. They went bust last year and so far no other Australian company has agreed to import the product.

The Giants Kickstarter stats indicated that of the top three 'backer' cities in the world two were Australian:

London United Kingdom 29 backers

Sydney Australia 10 backers

Canberra Australia 9 backers

And Australia was third on the list of 'backer' countries after the US and UK:

United States 395 backers

United Kingdom 132 backers

Australia 48 backers

Not bad for a country with a population of only 24 million. Despite this obvious support even with the changes to the format I can't see WGF and WGS regaining lost ground here in Australia without locally available product. I daresay it will be the same in many locations.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 07-23-2016 at 00:48.

..... Despite this obvious support even with the changes to the format I can't see WGF and WGS regaining lost ground here in Australia without locally available product. I daresay it will be the same in many locations.
    Sadly you are right, and Ares have no-one to blame but themselves. Withdrawing the old starter sets in favor of R&A packs without cards or minis was unbelievably stupid IMHO, and coupled with the often bizarre release schedules was a perfect recipe for failure. Proof of the pudding is in the very items that are collecting dust in the last few retailers:Italian Hanriots, Turkish Eindeckers, Austro-Hungarian Aviatiks. I know WWI was not confined to the skies over Flanders and Ares is an Italian company, but in a global market you have to put patriotism to one side and go with what sells. Having gotten badly burned twice now, local retailers aren't going to risk losing money a third time.

From a gaming point of view, the only way our club can play and actually run a campaign is because I was lucky enough to buy someone's entire collection when it all went down the tubes last time around.

I don't think the Rules & Accessories was a bad idea at all. By the rules then the planes that you want. But you do need planes that people want to buy and play. Not having either the rules or miniatures is a loosing proposition. Ares rereleasing the Duel Packs is fantastic for new player, but... it a starter set.

You really need the Rules and figures which is why I think, and this is just my opinion, they are switching to squadron expansions. We, as players, can field more planes which they can produce for less (i.e. more profit). Then hopefully, in my case, they reprint existing releases so I can get my favored pilots and balloons, of course you need balloons. And planes with rockets. If you have balloons you need at least a couple of planes with rockets.

So, squadron packs with Rules and Accessories, Series 3 and 4 with Rules and Accessories, Balloons with planes/rockets and Rules and Accessories. Right is that about it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Tournament Format ?
    By PilGrim in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 13:25
  2. Format for avatar
    By Niclas in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 23:54
  3. Burning Drachens in PDF format
    By Guntruck in forum WGF: General Discussions