Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WoG Format Change?

Default WoG Format Change?

Hello Pilots,

I am new to the WGF and WGS games and I wanted to verify some news that I thought that I saw.

Is it true that Ares is about to release a new packaging format for WGF / WGS as compared to their current bundling? By this I mean is Ares including new cards or plane minis, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The latest series of WGS planes included optional rules cards that included ace abilities and (for the Bf-109K) gun pods. It has been indicated by the designer that this will be continued in the other new releases. Maybe with the released planes too.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Welcome Captain! All I've seen is their announcement on social media yesterday of the WoG reprint.

https://www.facebook.com/WingsOfGloryMiniatureGame/

Here is an article from Ares about their new releases and new optional rules

New WW1 Wings of Glory Airplane Packs to feature Ace cards and Optional Rules

Also these are previously unreleased planes to I believe.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Captain, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom. I cannot add anything to what the others have said but a good feature of the game is that new material has always been compatible with what has gone before.

We will also see a new format late this year with the release of the BoB set for WGS. The planes in the Starter and the planes in the airplane packs will each come with a basic Squadron paint job and a small sheet of decals so that the player can make multiple planes from the same squadron if he/she so chooses. This new format will be an experimental trail with this series and the success (higher sales) will determine if that format carries over to the next release or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    We will also see a new format late this year with the release of the BoB set for WGS. The planes in the Starter and the planes in the airplane packs will each come with a basic Squadron paint job and a small sheet of decals so that the player can make multiple planes from the same squadron if he/she so chooses. This new format will be an experimental trail with this series and the success (higher sales) will determine if that format carries over to the next release or not.
    How soon? How soon?
    I need to start saving up..................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thank you for the warm welcome and the various updates.

Looks like I am getting into WoG during exciting times!

This sound exciting for people that want to field squadrons. Awesome. At the same time I hope they still sell the planes/aces that we have. At least for me I loved buying specific pilots and paint jobs matching real people in history.

[Edit P.S. it is great they are, hopefully, finding a way to expand and continue this game. Interest, which results in purchases, is important.

Credit card is in my hand, waiting...

Almost forgot in my excitement: Welcome aboard!

Great first question!!! Excellent news. It will mean I will be buying more.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    How soon? How soon?
    I need to start saving up..................
    Later this year, but Santa might be a little late to the party

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    This sound exciting for people that want to field squadrons. Awesome. At the same time I hope they still sell the planes/aces that we have. At least for me I loved buying specific pilots and paint jobs matching real people in history.

[Edit P.S. it is great they are, hopefully, finding a way to expand and continue this game. Interest, which results in purchases, is important.
    The Starter is going to have two Spitfires from the same Squadron, but completely ready to play out of the box like the current minis. Same for the 109. Both of those will a single "airplane pack" mini that will come with the historical decal sheet (I'm sure it will have an Ace or two). What I don't know yet on this Pack version of these two planes is if it will be from the same squadron as the two starter set planes, or a completely different one. I also don't know how basic of a base paint scheme it have... so that you could use other decal sources to make even more different squadrons.

The other two planes in this "Series" will be the Hurricane and Stuka. I have very little details on how those Packs are going to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    As with previous individual scheme, each of the color schemes proposed in a Squadron Pack will be historical, and most will be linked to real pilot (sometimes there will be anonymous ones, as before, when historical data about crews lack).

What I don't know yet on this Pack version of these two planes is if it will be from the same squadron as the two starter set planes, or a completely different one..
    Same squadron.

Okay, more info on the Hurricane and Stuka. There will only be one version of these and it will come with the decals. We will not be getting the old A, B, and C like in the past. For these two planes, it's up to you to make them appear different with the decals.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Same squadron.
    Thanks for clarifying that Andrea.

Okay, more info on the Hurricane and Stuka. There will only be one version of these and it will come with the decals. We will not be getting the old A, B, and C like in the past. For these two planes, it's up to you to make them appear different with the decals.
    This is very welcome news.

To co-opt the current Australian Prime Minister's favourite campaign trail phrase "There has never been a more exciting time to get into Wings of Glory!"

LOOP

The Starter is going to have two Spitfires from the same Squadron, but completely ready to play out of the box like the current minis. Same for the 109. Both of those will a single "airplane pack" mini that will come with the historical decal sheet (I'm sure it will have an Ace or two). What I don't know yet on this Pack version of these two planes is if it will be from the same squadron as the two starter set planes, or a completely different one. I also don't know how basic of a base paint scheme it have... so that you could use other decal sources to make even more different squadrons.

The other two planes in this "Series" will be the Hurricane and Stuka. I have very little details on how those Packs are going to work out.
    And you push and push and push

Resistance...is...useless.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

The new releases and format changes sound good for the game. I'm hoping we'll see balloons and more planes with rocks soon too. We are getting two planes that just want to fire on balloons in this latest release.

That's awesome news! I really like this idea, especially for the BoB and Midway. I also hope having the Stuka sets a precedent for the Midway set when it finally releases and that a Midway Dauntless will be released. Although, I am pleased with the choices of Dauntless presented in series 6, I find it peculiar that schemes from the Dauntless' finest hour were passed over, unless they were purposefully holding back on Best, McCluskey, and others with the intent of including them with a Midway themed release.

Back to BoB, will any of the Spits or 109s be re releases of any of the original series one pilots/schemes, or will these be all new pilots/squadrons? I know people late to the party really want a shot at getting Galland and others at retail pricing versus the crazy secondary prices that these series one birds are currently demanding. Personally, I am super excited for mor Hurricanes! I was always bothered by only having Bader represent the British in series 2. I have 4 or 5 of them, but would love a few more and would likely let a couple of the originals go if they are new schemes.
    Regardless, of what is or isn't released in the near future, I am so excited to see the game growing with each release and to have what appears to be more frequent releases than the 18 month lull we had between the Heavies and Series 6.

I could not have said it better myself, Daniel. If this comes to fruition, I hope this will revitalize WGS.

Quote Originally Posted by P-51D View Post
    That's awesome news! I really like this idea, especially for the BoB and Midway. I also hope having the Stuka sets a precedent for the Midway set when it finally releases and that a Midway Dauntless will be released. Although, I am pleased with the choices of Dauntless presented in series 6, I find it peculiar that schemes from the Dauntless' finest hour were passed over, unless they were purposefully holding back on Best, McCluskey, and others with the intent of including them with a Midway themed release.

Back to BoB, will any of the Spits or 109s be re releases of any of the original series one pilots/schemes, or will these be all new pilots/squadrons? I know people late to the party really want a shot at getting Galland and others at retail pricing versus the crazy secondary prices that these series one birds are currently demanding. Personally, I am super excited for mor Hurricanes! I was always bothered by only having Bader represent the British in series 2. I have 4 or 5 of them, but would love a few more and would likely let a couple of the originals go if they are new schemes.
    Regardless, of what is or isn't released in the near future, I am so excited to see the game growing with each release and to have what appears to be more frequent releases than the 18 month lull we had between the Heavies and Series 6.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer1701d

I am new to the WGF and WGS games
    (Welcoming head bobs) from the lizard.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer1701d

Is it true that Ares is about to release a new packaging format for WGF / WGS as compared to their current bundling? By this I mean is Ares including new cards or plane minis, etc?
    Excellent question to ask, certainly provoked some good repsonses. Rep!

Anything on a new WWI starter set? With new schemes?

I'm now depressed. I thought the squadrons were going to be for WW1. Any plans for WW1....pls make me undepressed!

All I can say is PLEASE go back to paint and cover up those unfinished edges!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    I'm now depressed. I thought the squadrons were going to be for WW1. Any plans for WW1....pls make me undepressed!
    One thing at a time. I'm guessing if the WWII one is a success, there's a chance of some WWI following....

On Origins someone had a cool American Squadron of Nieuports 27 - No. 1; 2; 4 and 12. Very easy to reapaint them from Rickenbacker

Well... damn. That's good news.

And welcome to the 'Drome, Captain!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    On Origins someone had a cool American Squadron of Nieuports 27 - No. 1; 2; 4 and 12. Very easy to reapaint them from Rickenbacker
    Agreed! I think they were Jim's (rhodie80). He does great work, as does Matt (matt56)... those balloons are ridiculous!

Yes, you are probably right, Chris - I remember that I was talking with him.
    So these balloons are Matt's? Huh, it makes sense - incredible

Name:  20160618_164544.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  130.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    One thing at a time. I'm guessing if the WWII one is a success, there's a chance of some WWI following....
    Thanks, but it did not help my depression. maybe I need a little of this

Thanks, but it did not help my depression. maybe a need a little of this
    WGF needs a flock of Albatros D.IIIs - only one official German D.III (Voss) just does not cut the mustard.

We are not short of colour schemes!

Name:  Albatri.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  194.0 KB
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 06-29-2016 at 23:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    WGF needs a flock of Albatros D.IIIs - only one official German D.III (Voss) just does not cut the mustard.
    A flock would be great. I bought a bunch of F-toys and repainted them but, could always use more.

Me too, I have six F-Toys D.III's but want so many more!!

Carl, that is a great chart!!!!

You will find the page here John, along with a lot more profiles.

http://www.wwiaviation.com/gallery-a...-fighters.html

LOOP

Thumbs up

We are not short of colour schemes!
    Name:  Albatri.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  194.0 KB
    Where can we find it larger?

So many Albatroses. So little time.

Where can we find it larger?
    Via the link in post 39 Andrea

"He is wise who watches"

You will find the page here John, along with a lot more profiles.

http://www.wwiaviation.com/gallery-a...-fighters.html
    Nice page, I wish he would include the pilot without having to click on the plane

What a tremendous resource! Thanks for sharing the link, Carl!

It is a great resource; I'm hoping he keeps it up, but it's been a year and a half since his last blog entry
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I've not been told this about the Midway SBDs, but I believe it to be the case. It would only make sense for an SBD to be included in that series and that would mean it would make no sense to have one in the Series 6 release.

Back to BoB, will any of the Spits or 109s be re releases of any of the original series one pilots/schemes, or will these be all new pilots/squadrons?
    I'm not 100% sure which squadron was selected for the Spits and Hurries (I think Andrea posted it in one of these threads) or the 109s. So the only way to get one of the Series 1 pilots would be if they are from this same squadron. I would not count on Galland being a very strong influence to selection the German squadron since you can get him in Series 6.

WWII is a lot better suited for squadron style release since so much of the markings were standardize by then. WWI is much harder with each pilot paint his plane to his own desirer. It's true they did have squadron markings and colors in WWI, but the big Aces often lived outside those rules. Ares has taken some steps to build squadrons across the different release and products. We have two Jasta 5 Albatros minis and I think two of the SS D.III minis were from the same Jasta (but those two were not the popular min from that set, it was the none paired one that sold out the fastest).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Only the Rickenbacker is now sold out even at the Ares warehouse, so those will be getting really hard to find.

I would not count on Galland being a very strong influence to selection the German squadron since you can get him in Series 6.
    Sorry, I might be reading this wrong but are you implying Galland is the pilot of one of the 109K-4s in Series 6?
    Last edited by Canestri10; 06-30-2016 at 14:22.

Back to BoB, will any of the Spits or 109s be re releases of any of the original series one pilots/schemes, or will these be all new pilots/squadrons?
    There is an answer at least for Hurricanes:

The Hurricanes are from 303 Squadron.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Tournament Format ?
    By PilGrim in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 13:25
  2. Format for avatar
    By Niclas in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1