Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which aircraft would you most like to add to the mix?

Default Which aircraft would you most like to add to the mix?

Personally I'd like to have a :

Bristol fighter, (the Brisfit or "Biff")

Sopwith Pup

FE2B

Dh9

Oh! how I wish it wasn't £10 for a "booster" set.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Albatros DII

Phonix DI

Hansa-Brandenburg DI ("Starstrutter")

Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter

BE-2

Junkers CLI

Junkers DI

Pfalz DXII

Albatros W4

Albatros CIII

Albatros CVII

Aviatik (Berg) DI

Phonix CI

Hannover CLIIIA

Bristol Scout

DH-5

Felixstowe F2.A

Nieuport 28

SVA 5

Short 184

Salmson 2.A.2

Sopwith Dolphin

Ansaldo Balilla

As you can see, there are still LOTS I'd like to see. Plus I didn't even put in all the various bombers and seaplanes I'd like to see.
    Last edited by KirkH; 09-22-2009 at 15:31.

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

Definatly love to see the Sopwith Pup and Dolphin.

Pretty much what KirkH has mentioned any of them would be great.

Cheers
    GW
    Last edited by Greywolf; 10-06-2009 at 20:05.

Bristol Fighter and Phonix CI will be in the Crossfire booster (together with Saml S.2 and Rumpler C.IV).

Aviatik (Berg) DI will be in the Hit & Run booster pack (together with SPAD VII).

Felixstowe F2.A will be in the Flight of the Giants box (together with Curtiss H-16, Handley Page O/400, Caproni Ca.3 & ca.4, Gotha G.V, Friedrichshafen G.III, Zeppelin Staaken).

For the rest... you will have to wait, sorry.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Desaix
    Sorties Flown

Fairey IIIc
    and some of the funky looking big Russian heavy bombers...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Chris
    Sorties Flown

It would have to be the Sopwith Pup for me. Currently I'm using my Snipe miniatures in place of Pups with a different movement deck/damage points etc. Clearly the Pup won't be coming over the horizon for some time yet though.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Desaix
    Sorties Flown

... and I forgot to add Albatross D.II

For miniatures? BrisFit, hands down. And then Sopwith Triplane. My two wishes, that aren't in the announced miniatures list.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Perry
    Sorties Flown

I don't think we need any more Albatross fighters - D.ii in particular - at least in miniatures.

For bad-guy miniatures and/cards, my vote goes for Pfalz D.XII, Roland D.ii, Roland D.vib and for my first choice of miniature definately the SSw D.iii. For the good guys, I would add the Sopwith Pup, Dolphin and 1 1/2 Strutter.

Angiolillo: For future allied miniature products, how about some colour variation other than the standard overall olive drab paint scheme - please. So far so good as there are variations, but that dang ugly green paint scheme is psychologically forcing me to choose the German side more and more.

I recall seeing somewhere a Hanriot HD1 in bright blue. Not sure of any authenticity on this or where I saw it however.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Desaix
    Sorties Flown

Yes D.II in card we can use the DIII or even DV miniatures to play them, it is mostly some maneuver decks that are needed for them...
    I use a modified DII deck for them but it is not that convenient...

Quote Originally Posted by SHVAK View Post
    For bad-guy miniatures and/cards
    I guess you're in the wrong war.

Apart from this I'd like to see the Junkers J9.

Bristol fighter and SSW DIII.

For the German Side:
    -Junkers CL.I
    -Gotha G.V
    -AGO C.II

For the Entente:
    -Bristol Fighter
    -Caproni Ca.36

And to more I totally forgot:
    -Fokker D.VIII (bzw. E.V)
    -Siemens-Schuckert D.IV

Got to have a Sopwith Triplane, a Pup, and a Hanriot HD1

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Baron View Post
    And to more I totally forgot:
    -Fokker D.VIII (bzw. E.V)
    -Siemens-Schuckert D.IV
    I have an E.V/D.VIII from Skytrex, but there is no card - so I second your nomination

Yesterday I read some stuff about Richthofen and now I would like to have an Albatross D.II and an Airco D.H.2 to reenact his first famous battle agaist Hawker.

Just to show off - I also have a Skytrex DH2, and for this one I got the cards...

Eserchie

My personal wish-list (of minis, some of these are either already cards or cming out as cards)
    S.E.5a
    Sopwith Triplane
    Airco D.H.2
    Fokker E.III
    Gotha G.V
    Albatros J.I
    Caproni Ca.3
    Caudron R.11
    Farman F.40
    Handley Page 0/400
    Hansa-Brandenburg W.12
    Hansa-Brandenburg W.33
    Short 184
    Sopwith Tabloid
    Sopwith 1.1/2 Strutter

Some of these we're getting
    but when do we get a mini of the sopwith triplane?

I would like some more of the early war types such as a:
    BE.2c
    F.E. 2B
    Taube monoplane.
    Even cards for these aircraft would be good.
    I egarly await the series 5 with the Foker & DH2

Oh yes, the Taube would be fun(ny).

Hueg

The One and a Half Strutter gets my vote.

As miniatures:

Aviatik (Berg) I
    Sopwith Triplane
    Hanriot HD-I
    Junkers D.I
    Albatros C.XII

Somehow I prefer mid- and late-war planes, but of course serie 5 includes nice monoplanes.

For miniatures I'd love to have the Bristol Fighter and the Sopwith Triplane, then bring on any multi engined bombers.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ken
    Sorties Flown

Royal Aircraft Factory FE2b
    Sopwith Triplane

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Ansaldo A-1 Ballila

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ian
    Sorties Flown

All of the above plus the SPAD II

The Gunner sat in a gondola suspended in front of the main Propeller
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WINGS OF WAR00 2.jpg  

Other than those already announced in some form:

Sopwith Triplane
    Sopwith Pup
    Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter
    BE2c
    FE2b
    Any Albatros 2-seater
    Nieuport 28
    Salmson 2a2

Name
    Gordon Parker
    Sorties Flown

Default Mini Choices

My choices are largely RAF/RFC Western Front oriented and especially a/c flown by Canadians.

Sop. 1 1/2 Strutter in fighter and bomber versions (lots of Canadians flew Strutters, including Collishaw and Roland Redpath).
    Sop Pup - Son of Strutter, flown by Collishaw, Breadner et al
    DH9a best of the Allied day bombers. And in that spirit we could use a good recce a/c like the "Big Ack" FK.8 (and yet another good place for a Canadian pilot and VC winner Alan Mcleod)
    SPAD VII one of the best and most widely used French designed a/c. The top scoring RFC SPAD VII pilot was Canadian AD Carter. I can't believe we don't have this one yet.
    RFC Nieuport 17's!!!! I have three words for you: Ball, Bishop and McCudden!
    Be2 series- Eindeckers need something to shoot.
    A Frederick MacCall Re8 would force me to buy one, but I am willing to do a re-paint. If MacCalls come out maybe I will repaint a "harry Tate" in Barker's markings.
    Vickers FB5, just because everyone needs a Gun Bus
    .. and just because, I would love to see a Bristol Bullet.

With the German Bombers coming we will need some night fighting Be12's and Sopwith Cuckoos. BTW are there night fighting rules or are these supposed to be day missions?

Honestly, I can do without the Dolphin which was such a late entry that it had very little impact and the same could be said of the Fokker DVIII. I am not saying don't make them, just get the more important types done first.

In the mean time we wait and wait for the Tripe, Brisfit, DH2, MS "N"

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Kuijt
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Gord View Post
    Honestly, I can do without the Dolphin which was such a late entry that it had very little impact
    What, January 1918 is a late entry? The Dolphin comes into the war before the Fokker D7, before the Fokker Dr1 (unless you count like three planes flown as prototypes in late fall 1917), before the DH9, before the SSD3/D4, before the N28, and incidentally way way way way way before the Sopwith Snipe that we have already in hand (the Snipe being the latest of all those planes, and in essence a plane appears like four hours before the end of the war).

And the Dolphin was flown by lots of Canadians, too!

Lanoe Hawker's Bristol Scout -- the one with the MG mounted on the side of the fuselage, at an angle; which forced Hawker to attack his targets while flying *sideways*.

Have fun explaining *that* firing arc to players.... >

Name
    Gordon Parker
    Sorties Flown

Default Ooops

Quote Originally Posted by David Kuijt View Post
    What, January 1918 is a late entry? The Dolphin comes into the war before the Fokker D7, before the Fokker Dr1 (unless you count like three planes flown as prototypes in late fall 1917), before the DH9, before the SSD3/D4, before the N28, and incidentally way way way way way before the Sopwith Snipe that we have already in hand (the Snipe being the latest of all those planes, and in essence a plane appears like four hours before the end of the war).

And the Dolphin was flown by lots of Canadians, too!
    My bad, I stand corrected! Thanks David.
    However, the Dolphin didn't enter squadron service until Feb 1918 (4 squadrons) and there were a lot of early engine problems with the Hispano. As you say the Dolphin was flown by a lot of Canadians (Major AD Carter scored at least 13 kills in one) and was part of the equipment for Canada's first fighter squadron post war.
    The Snipe started to enter Squadron service a month later (so perhaps not exactly way way way way way before) in March (3 squadrons) and early versions were found to be a bit slower than Camels. Less than 1,000 Dolphins were ordered against more than 4500 Snipes.
    So as you say, the Snipe arrived later and in smaller numbers but the Snipe had a much longer career in frontline service, none of which is applicable to this game (unless playing the White Russian campaign). For Canadians the Snipe will always hold a special remembrance as Barker's mount in his epic combat of October 1918.
    Frankly, I was a bit surprised to see a Snipe in the game (but not unhappy you understand, Barker's Snipe along with his Camel are sitting on my desk as I write).
    I would honestly prefer to see more Camels and N.17's; or how about a SPAD VII, a Tripe Hound, Pup, DH2 or Strutter long before a Dolphin or more Snipes; and I want a Brisfit most of all.
    Cheers
    Gord

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Kuijt
    Sorties Flown

The Snipe started to enter Squadron service a month later (so perhaps not exactly way way way way way before) in March (3 squadrons) and early versions were found to be a bit slower than Camels. Less than 1,000 Dolphins were ordered against more than 4500 Snipes.
    Can you check your sources on that, Gord? What I've read doesn't match that at all. According to Munson (Pocket Encyclopaedia blah blah blah Fighters 1914-1918, p153:

"By September 169 Snipe Mk.Is had been delivered. The Snipe became operational in September with 43rd Sq. RAF and in Ocb. with 208 Sq. RAF and 4 Sq. Australian Flying Corps. [....] on 31 October 1918 two [Snipes] were on Royal Naval charge and a further ninety-seven on RAF charge; one of the latter was serving with a Home Defense unit [... blah blah blah...].

Additional contracts brought total Snipe orders to 4515, but there were heavy cancellations after the Armistice and little more than one third of these were actually completed before production ceased in March 1919."

Elsewhere, Munson says at least 1500 Dolphins were built. Most of them (by strong implication) before the Armistice, since they were largely scrapped after January 1919.

In other words, Munson says that about 100 Snipes were operational in WWI, almost all in October 1918 and the first week of November. Whereas 19 Squadron was outfitted with Dolphins (replacing SPAD XIIIs) in January 1918, and more than 1000 would have seen service, for essentially all of 1918.

For Canadians the Snipe will always hold a special remembrance as Barker's mount in his epic combat of October 1918.
    Can't argue with you there. Except that it shouldn't be just Canadians!

how about a SPAD VII, a Tripe Hound, Pup, DH2 or Strutter long before a Dolphin or more Snipes; and I want a Brisfit most of all.
    I'm with you on the Brisfit; I'd like a Pup, DH2 or Strutter as well. I've already got all of the above in self-painted lead (although my Strutter isn't completely finished) save the Brisfit.

But my Collishaw Triplane can fly alone for now, and I'm loaded with SPAD VII repaints through F-toys, so I don't need more of them.

Name
    Gordon Parker
    Sorties Flown

Default Thetford I think ...

Hi David,
    I was over at a friends last night and going through his (used to be mine) library. I think it was the Thetford book on Sopwith or possibly FK Mason's British Fighter since 1912 (also in Thetfords). This was a great series of books which I think are long out of print. The Munsons are OK but not as reliable.

I made a few notes ...
    I think total production of the Dolphin was around 2,000 in Thetford and that the 700 was wartime production (I think). I made a note that over 75% of Dolphins were in storage by the end of the war. The Dolphin could have been ready sooner but for problems with the Hispano. 19 Squadron were the first to become fully equipped and that was in January '18.
    As for the Snipe, and now that I re-read my notes that March was when the Snipe went into full production and it was in August 1918 43 that Squadron was first equipped.
    Final production seems to be similar.
    Gord
    What can I say, my eyes are getting really bad LOL.

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Kuijt
    Sorties Flown

As for the Snipe, and now that I re-read my notes that March was when the Snipe went into full production and it was in August 1918 43 that Squadron was first equipped.

Production numbers don't mean much for gaming, though.

According to the Windsock datafile on the Snipe, the first offensive patrol with Snipes by 43 Sq. was on September 23, 1918. "Within five weeks nearly 100 Snipes were in France and No.208s Camels were being replaced by Snipes as the Armistice was declared."

(The 23 September date is also declared in the AC Squadron series on Sopwith Fighters.)

That corresponds almost exactly to the numbers Munson mentioned -- less than 100 Snipes in combat in France during WWI, and all in the six weeks between September 23 and the Armistice. I wouldn't be surprised if Major A.D. Carter of 19 Squadron (who scored 31 victories in three months in the Dolphin) got more kills by himself in the Dolphin than the total of all the planes killed by Snipes in their five or six weeks in the war.

The Osprey on Dolphins and Snipes gives Feb 3 for the first operational sortie of 19 Squadron with Dolphins, although they had some issued to 19 Sq. for test flying since Nov/Dec 1917.

The Snipe is a great plane, and Barker's VC fight is an astonishing story, but the Dolphin served for 9 and a quarter months over the front, with four squadrons -- the Snipe served for six weeks with one squadron, and less than five with a couple more. Less than 100 planes total saw combat. To me, that makes the Snipe a last-second entry in the War.

Brisfit and Sopwith Tripe.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Talking news from OZ

My wish list would include... SE.5A
    Bristol F.2B
    Avro 504
    DH.9
    Sopwith Pup
    DH.2
    F.E.8
    Sopwith Triplane
    F.E.2B

You may notice I only fly the cockade not the cross.

We should get a series of just 2-seaters: (minus the Tripe)
    Biff
    Halbersadt CL III
    Albatros XIII
    Sopwith Triplane

We get the Sop. Tripe in Famous Aces and it still isn't a miniature?
    I'm disgusted

Quote Originally Posted by Hamburger View Post
    We should get a series of just 2-seaters: (minus the Tripe)
    Biff
    Halbersadt CL III
    Albatros XIII
    Sopwith Triplane

We get the Sop. Tripe in Famous Aces and it still isn't a miniature?
    I'm disgusted
    We can add you to the list then. We are all disgusted about many of the shortcomings of the distribution system over the years. No one ever reads this site. Join the club and be disgusted, very disgusted. Remember that they are actually making models for us to play with. They could stop at any time. Then we would be really disgusted.
    Rob.

Default My Wish List

Here's my wish list:

Siemens Schuckert D.III/D.IV
    Bristol F2B
    Sopwith Triplane
    Hanriot HD.1 (plus HD.2 float option)
    Fokker D.VIII 'Razor'
    Hansa Brandenburg W.12 or W.29 float plane
    Sopwith Pup (plus Ship's Pup float plane option)
    Albatros W.4 float plane
    Phoenix D.1
    Albatros 2-seater (ex. Alb. C.III, V or XII)
    Junkers J.I,
    Ansaldo A.1 Balilla (or SVA.5/5a)
    Halberstadt D.II, Cl.I or D.1
    Sopwith 'Strutter'

Chris Maes

RZPAL

Aircraft I would like to see:
    Hansa Brandenburg D.1 "Starstrutter"
    Phoenix D.1
    Ansaldo A-1 Ballila
    Sopwith Triplane
    Sopwith Pup
    Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter
    Sopwith Dolphin
    Bristol F2B
    SSW D.III/IV
    Fokker E.V/D.VIII

For the Serie 8:
    Nieuport 11 - a French, a Russian, an Italian
    Albatros D.II - two German and a Austro-Hungarian
    Sopwith Dolphin
    Pfalz D.XII

I think any not all ready made . A good line of decals so redos are easer

Personally, I'd like to have a Sopwith triplane. It's in series 6, I know, but as you all know, they say it's out in 2011 and it comes out in 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    Personally, I'd like to have a Sopwith triplane. It's in series 6, I know, but as you all know, they say it's out in 2011 and it comes out in 2015!!!
    I think that the Tripe should be with us sometime towards the end of next year 2012, if the usual release slip continues as it has done in the past. Has anyone done a chart for this yet?
    Rob.

Bristol Fighter or the 1 an 1/2 Strutter.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Late entry I know, but after thoughtful consideration, my wish list is;

Central Powers -

Albatros DII
    Pfalz DXII
    HB DI 'Starstrutter'
    SSW DIV
    Hannover - any two seater
    Friedrichshaven bomber

Entente -

Nieuport 28
    1 1/2 Strutter
    Pup
    Dolphin
    Vickers FB5
    DH9a
    Bristol fighter
    Hanriot HD-1
    H-P 0/400
    Tripe

My 2p

AEG IV bomber & Halberstadt CLII

Sopwih Dolphin & Brisfit

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    My 2p

AEG IV bomber & Halberstadt CLII

Sopwih Dolphin & Brisfit
    Oh yeah, definitely! That AEG IV bomber is stud looking, I forgot about that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Best Aircraft and Hobby Links
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-11-2019, 15:13
  2. Which aircraft would you most like to add to the mix?
    By Greywolf in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 20:11
  3. Russian Aircraft
    By Doug in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 21:56