Ares Games

Thread: How to fly a Sopwith Pup

Default How to fly a Sopwith Pup

Like this a lot . A little more insight as to the skill the pilots needed just to stay alive without the Hun pressing them..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGRT3w4CxZk
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 06-27-2016 at 11:26.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Followed by some footage of one in the air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilNoUcByzBk

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Nice find sir.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Great find - thanks for posting the link!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thumbs up

Nice Clip Paul!

I am always impressed by the Wing Area of the Pups.
    No wonder they were a joy to fly.

LOOP

After about 4 min 40 sek he says that it goes easier to the left than the right and that goes for the Camel to
    Is he right about that or is he just having a hard time telling his left from his right....??

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    After about 4 min 40 sek he says that it goes easier to the left than the right and that goes for the Camel to
    Is he right about that or is he just having a hard time telling his left from his right....??
    Which way did the rotary engines rotate again?

I wondered the same thing; given his other hesitations, I'm guessing he confused his right and left.
    Nice talk though; from all accounts I've read, the Pup was indeed a joy to fly (not the Spitfire of WW1, though ).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

The hand with the pebble is the right hand. I think he put the pebble in his left hand. It happens.

He did preface that little speech with the words "I believe" and indicated the '... 300lb spinning like this..' in the direction opposite to that which the engine actually spins in the footage !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    This is also interesting. The rotary engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvHrbkYEn0k
    Nice video; I love how you can find such things on the internet

Hope this one runs better than the originals did
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Nice video; I love how you can find such things on the internet

Hope this one runs better than the originals did
    Karl
    It was a pretty nice piece of engineering when it was first invented.
    The simplicity of components and the easy way how it worked is pretty amazing.

Thank you for the links, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    I'd ascribe this to the difference between "feeling" and "reality" -- the whole "faster to turn right than left" thing was debunked years ago (_Flying_, April 2014, "Technicalities" column).

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    It was a pretty nice piece of engineering when it was first invented.
    The simplicity of components and the easy way how it worked is pretty amazing.
    The rotary engine was indeed an elegant design. However, the Monosoupape Gnome engine had a bad rep for reliability.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I'd ascribe this to the difference between "feeling" and "reality" -- the whole "faster to turn right than left" thing was debunked years ago (_Flying_, April 2014, "Technicalities" column).
    Once the plane is established in a turn there's no reason it would turn faster one way then the other. However, depending on whether or not you were pitching while rolling, it's quite possible that it was faster to establish the yaw into the turn going one way rather than the other (diving to the right would be more difficult than diving to the left, for example). This is probably what led to the common myth that the plane could turn faster one way than the other. Even on modern single engine planes, you get precession off the propeller, albeit it's minimal given that props are rather light.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    The rotary engine was indeed an elegant design. However, the Monosoupape Gnome engine had a bad rep for reliability.
    Karl
    I'd read this was more due to improper handling and maintenance compared to the more common Le Rhone engine rather than any actual problem with the Monosoupape.

Quote Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
    Once the plane is established in a turn there's no reason it would turn faster one way then the other. However, depending on whether or not you were pitching while rolling, it's quite possible that it was faster to establish the yaw into the turn going one way rather than the other (diving to the right would be more difficult than diving to the left, for example). This is probably what led to the common myth that the plane could turn faster one way than the other. Even on modern single engine planes, you get precession off the propeller, albeit it's minimal given that props are rather light.
    True, the gyroscopic effect is there; but it doesn't work quite the way folks think. Short of quoting the whole article: The engine/prop combo resisted efforts to change orientation; and when orientation was changed, force was imparted at *right angles* to the direction of change. This manifested as a pitch-up tendency in left turns, and a pitch-down in right turns (which is why pilots were taught to *NEVER* make right turns at low altitudes). Roll rates at maximum were within 10 degrees per second of each other, with the left turn being higher (40 vs. 30; this is torque-aided). Steady-state turns, however, were indistinguishable; which anyone with a knowledge of avionics could have told you -- all acft. at a given speed and bank-angle in coordinated flight turn at the same rate. Really, the only noticeable effect is the aforementioned left-and-up/right-and-down tendency (which may explain why the British had a listing in WW1 for "seen descending out-of-control"; it would be known that a rotary which wished to escape a fight need only push the down down and input right rudder, and the beast drops like a piano).

Yup, precession is also why the plane will have a tendency to yaw when it pitches, hence easier to make a diving or climbing turn in one direction or the other. Force is applied 90 degrees around the plane of rotation. And with a rotary up front, that's a heck of a gyroscope.

So pitching down imparts a yaw to the left. Pitching up imparts a yaw to the right. Yawing to the left imparts an upward pitch, and yawing right imparts a downward pitch (assumed counter-clockwise engine rotation, looking head-on. The pup in the video looked like it was rotating that way).

Combine all of that, and I can easily see how some planes like the Camel could enter into some maneuvers much faster in specific directions.
    Last edited by kalnaren; 06-29-2016 at 17:46.

Quote Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
    Combine all of that, and I can easily see how some planes like the Camel could enter into some maneuvers much faster in specific directions.
    Except they *didn't*, which was the point -- short version: Every WW1 air-combat game out there is *WRONG*.

Except they *didn't*, which was the point -- short version: Every WW1 air-combat game out there is *WRONG*.
    So.
    You have many pilots that flown during WW1, from both sides saying that the Camel was a nasty flyer that should never be followed when it turned right. That when dog fighting it left turns should always be chosen and a magazine in 2014 debunks it.
    Sure.

I never said it could turn faster in one direction or the other. As I said above, once the plane is established in the turn it wouldn't matter.

I 100% guarantee you having a huge gyro like that up front with such short moments effected how quickly you could initiate maneuvers in given directions.

Heck, it's something we covered in flight school and I was flying a plane with a two-bladed composite prop that weighed maybe 40 lbs with a horizontally opposed engine. And you could feel the gyro effects off that, and the plane was 400lbs heavier than a Camel.
    Last edited by kalnaren; 06-30-2016 at 15:34.

Similar Missions

1. National: Sopwith
    By Nikobeg in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 07:18
  2. Sopwith pup
    By TALLY HO in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-04-2013, 12:00
  3. Sopwith Pup
    By steel_ratt in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 80