Ares Games

Thread: Time Typo in rules for Repairing an Engine?

Default Time Typo in rules for Repairing an Engine?

This came from a poster over at Board Game Geeks (BGG)

The Zeppelin Staaken's engines can be repaired by the mechanic/gunner by moving the mechanic from the machine gun role circle to the black connecting line at the end of one phase and then to the engine role circle the next phase.
    Okay, he's there. Time to fix the engine.

Question:
    Does it take a whole TURN (three complete phases from the BEGINNING of a turn before the first action phase to after the Fire step of the third and LAST phase)?
    OR
    Does it take only a whole PHASE (any phase) to attempt to repair the engine.

The reason for my question is that I suspect there is a typo in this section of the rule booklet that comes with the Zeppelin Staaken.

"Wings of War - Flight of the Giants" describes a whole TURN being required for the mechanic to sit in the engine role circle waiting to the END of the turn to draw the damage/repair card.

"Wings of Glory" in the booklet says he can repair the engine "spending the whole PHASE to do so (as a whole PHASE is required, he must have moved to the gray circle in the PREVIOUS TURN"...(what!!??)
    Also, "At the end of the TURN, after the Fire step is completed, draw a "B" damage card."

This doesn't match. Whole Phase but at the end of the Turn?

I believe that the word "Phase" was erroneously used where the word "Turn" was before in "Flight of the Giants". In other words a typo. Mixing up the two time references.

So, this means that the mechanic has to get to the engine role circle at "some point" in a turn so he can START being in that role circle BEFORE the next COMPLETE turn BEGINS?

Or maybe it's not a word mix up typo and the time to repair was drastically shortened to a mere Phase with the "Wings of Glory" reprint of the rule?

Opinions on this will be most welcomed.
    Here is the link for Time Typo in rules for Repairing an Engine.

Thumbs up

G'day Ken!
    Our Club plays it that the gunner has to move to the engine & it then takes one TURN (3 Cards) to repair the engine & then he has to return to his gun position if the player wishes.

One for Andrea (Angiolillo) to clarify I think Ken, it can be read either way when you take the old nexus FotG rules into account but you also have to look at the rules on p27 of WoG rules concerning crew movement.
    They may have truncated it to a phase in the new rules as the crew movement takes some time (ie it effectively takes a phase to move between positions, a phase to move into position and only on the next phase can action be taken) but I would go with a whole turn once in position myself.

"He is wise who watches"

Looking at the rules for the Zeppelin Staaken it uses Phase for most of the description and only uses "Turn" only once. Seeing as how the Rule and Accessories booklet says something similar it appears, to me, that 'Turn' was used only once incorrectly since 'Phase' seems to be the most common usage. But I understand why most would prefer the entire turn.

Andrea (Angiolillo) please chime in if you can.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	200532

I have PM'd him for his advice.

"He is wise who watches"

Sorry for taking so much time to answer.
    You are perfectly correct, there is a typo.
    The engine repair can be made if the mechanic is at the engine at the start of a turn.

If an engine is damaged, the mechanic/gunner can switch positions (see Crewmen with Multiple Roles, WW1 Wings of ar Rules and Accessories Pack, page 27) to try to repair it. Each mechanic/gunner can try to repair damage only on his own engine (left or right).

When a mechanic/gunner is at the engine (gray role circle) at the start of a turn, he can try to repair that engine, by spending the whole turn to do so (as a whole turn is required, he must have moved to the gray circle in the previous turn and he cannot move away until the next turn).
    At the end of the turn, after the Firing step is completed, draw a “B” damage card.
    - If the result is “0” or an explosion, the damage is permanent and cannot be repaired: flip the engine damage counter face-up as a reminder.
    - If the result is “1” or more, the damage is repaired. If the damage is repaired, you can remove one engine damage counter (choose one if there are more than one) from the engine.
    A mechanic cannot make more than one attempt to repair damage in the same turn.

Thanks for clearing that up Andrea

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-09-2016, 00:32
  2. Engine Damage
    By diceslinger in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-18-2015, 11:11
  3. Converting WWI twin-engine rules to WWII planes?
    By Eris Lobo in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2014, 09:38
  4. Multi-engine rules help.
    By Lord_Ninja in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2012, 18:55
  5. MASSIVE Typo Spotted!
    By Aero825 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-20-2011, 04:41