Ares Games

Thread: DC-3 Racing

Default DC-3 Racing

The Reno Air Races has a class for stock [AT-6|SNJ|Harvard]s; I wonder what it would take (besides a f***ton of money) to run a stock [DC-3|C-47|R4D|Dakota|Lisunov Li-2|Showa L2D] class....

Do you mean like this?

I don't know why I even read your posts, they are so weird! But I love most of them!!!

A few foam bits and some graph paper and a few brain cells and minutes to waste . . .

And there we are!

Now for some cool racing colors, oh painting elves . . .

Clipper is there anything you can't build or come up with an idea for ?

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Clipper is there anything you can't build or come up with an idea for ?
    I do have a large tub of 1/144" scale WWII planes and 10 GIG of graphics for racing colors I have been accumulating for an Unlimited Air Race Game . . . just need the time and table space. As for the ideas, I do like these new meds I am on . . .

It is also sadly lonely here in AZ, all my WOG guys are drifting off, but I still have my virtual crew on line to keep me sane and busy : ), oh and the elves of course . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Do you mean like this?
    I was thinking 1:1-scale, but this will serve until then. >;)

I don't know why I even read your posts, they are so weird! But I love most of them!!!
    "Imagination is the foundation of Reality -- if you couldn't imagine these things, they could never be!" [Gallagher]

Do you mean like this?

A few foam bits and some graph paper and a few brain cells and minutes to waste . . .

And there we are!

Now for some cool racing colors, oh painting elves . . .

this is the only way those proud old warbirds should be raced!!!! bravo dave!!!

this is great!!!

What will you guys think of next??? I LOVE IT! Great concept by Chris and great execution by David!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Nowotny View Post
    :thumbsup:What will you guys think of next??? I LOVE IT! Great concept by Chris and great execution by David!
    I'm just wondering when someone in Clipper's line of work will realize he's dealing with someone whose posts are Laced With Ideas....

(Those who have seen the movie _Dogma_ will get the reference. >;) )

I would definitely be a supporter for the Kick Starter on this!

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Excellent idea, the Kickstarter version! I'm in.

I would definitely be a supporter for the Kick Starter on this!
    Just a game, or collecting enough cash to to do the real thing at Reno? :)

Can't believe I just ordered 5 more DC-3 kits . . .

Meanwhile, I'm back to looking for 1/200 B-17s... seems some jokers bought out the entire world's supply of the old Academy kit.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Meanwhile, I'm back to looking for 1/200 B-17s... seems some jokers bought out the entire world's supply of the old Academy kit.
    Yeah, I have not been able to find even one.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Yeah, I have not been able to find even one.
    I contacted them back in the day and they were planning a redo "someday" so they say . . . I have been scouring the web and found 3 so far . . . then I just carved my own, added the "C" rudder and the later nose turret to another mold and did some pouring . . .

The other thing is, the old kit has some glaring issues so they might try to correct those on the retool.

I'm looking for a few to convert into B-40s... *evil grin* Hey Boom-Boom, feel lucky with those Bf109s today?
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I contacted them back in the day and they were planning a redo "someday" so they say . . . I have been scouring the web and found 3 so far . . . then I just carved my own, added the "C" rudder and the later nose turret to another mold and did some pouring . . .
    I ended up getting some Maisto - Tailwinds/Adventure Wheels B-17s and B-24s. Not exactly 1/200 but close enough. They need a little work but thats the fun part.

Dave

It's sure good to see you are back in the saddle again!

These just arrived, but who ordered them?

Have the elves been fooling around with your credit cards?
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Dave, I want you to adopt me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I am going to have to get serious about some rules and a race course . . . with pylons of course!

Haven't found any rules that might apply to multi engine racing, anyone know the "Full Throttle" game guys? I was sad to see their Kick Starter did not . . .

I also have around 40 1/144" scale WWII kits to build and modify into an Unlimited Race game . . .
    Last edited by clipper1801; 08-26-2016 at 21:34.

I love the Eastern Air Lines plane but where's the Red Bull entry?

Now that would be an endorsement to seek, they already have a digital air race game . . . maybe they want a board game?

David you still manage to suprise me with your idea's. Very nice paint jobs on the DC3's

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    Love the story! So many of them out there lingering, needing to be built! Am I looking at a model museum . . . ?

I talked with the UAL Historical Division and after much negotiating, they agreed to let me use this as my first Entry.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160827_121540_resized_1.jpg   20160827_121701_resized_1.jpg  

Haven't found any rules that might apply to multi engine racing,
    As asked elsewhere: _Planes: High Pilotage_ isn't workable? I should think the target numbers for successful maneuvers would be higher, and probably U-Turns and Barrel Rolls would be Right Out for the Big Iron, but other than that....

How about using the standard WGS maneuver rules DC-3 uses the R(Zb) deck, which you can find here.

Collision with another plane is a C damage, collision with a pillar is an A damage. Either way, the next maneuver for all involved has to be slow.
    No altitude rules, as they fly level on a course.

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    How about using the standard WGS maneuver rules DC-3 uses the R(Zb) deck, which you can find here.

Collision with another plane is a C damage, collision with a pillar is an A damage. Either way, the next maneuver for all involved has to be slow.
    No altitude rules, as they fly level on a course.
    I would like to include engine over and under rev cards, structural failures, pilot errors and a few other failures as well as clipping pylons and such . . . .

I talked with the UAL Historical Division and after much negotiating, they agreed to let me use this as my first Entry.....
    I can see some Skype possibilities!

I would like to include engine over and under rev cards, structural failures, pilot errors and a few other failures as well as clipping pylons and such . . . .
    _High Pilotage_ has most of that. Converting to _WoG_ would be more difficult, esp. if one does not wish to introduce d*ce [ ;) ]; I'd have to refresh myself on the chit spreads to figure out what one would have to draw under to avoid a failure.

On that score:

Over- and Under-Revs: When changing speed, draw one [letter] chit; if the damage shown is equal to or less than [pilot skill], the change is made.

Structural Failure: When performing a steep maneuver, draw one [letter] chit; if the damage shown is greater than [pilot skill], draw on [letter] chit for each point over. [DC-3s do not exactly turn on a dime.]

Some replacement photos and my new box.

Betty Boop

Flamein'

Pegasus

Puff

Dragon

Eastern 80

Oh, yes -- cannot forget the Cool Names for the racers....

Similar Missions

1. Just for fun a new twist... pylon racing
    By Pakratt in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 15:35