Ares Games

Thread: Does everyone use altitude?

Mefwyn

Default Does everyone use altitude?

Played our first game last night. Did three battles and had a blast, but we only used Standard rules and the optional Aiming and Tailing. Does Altitude add alot to the game? I'm afraid of the bookkeeping involved with the Climb Rate charts... might bog down speed. What's your thoughts?

Altitude reduces the amount of shooting dramatically in pure dogfights - all the protagonists can be zooming up and down all over the place!

If you add a two-seater, with a mission, this is less noticeable, since the scouts tend to "gather" at the alttude of the two-seater, and shooting picks up again.

Altitude is essential if you use balloons, trench-strafing, Archie etc:

Altitude DOES slow the game down, but it is worth it, since you end up with a more "realistic simulation" rather than a quick knockabout game.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Altitude is necessary as to flying as submerging is to a sub.. Without it you have a car race with guns ,and may as well use cards not minis. Learn how to use it to your benefit

For what it's worth, and accepting the lack of realism, we do not use altitude in our games - mostly because I am playing with youngsters and real newbies. They appreciate how easy it is to just start 'flying' (....and shooting).

3D is what it makes flying about.

Mefwyn

Well I certainly must try it out and see how it goes. Is the Climb Rate chart in the Rules and Accessories book all I need?

Generally not as we've found the game slows down considerably (a dogfight scenario at the first Donnie event with altitude took something like three hours to play out, whereas the same game without would have been over much more quickly). If we have more time, a smaller scenario or we are feeling "keen" we'll use it, but for a fun club night's gaming where we want to get 2 or 3 games in a few hours the probably not.

well our group tends to not use altitude as it does noticeably slow down game play. as others have said altitude is indispensable for some types of missions and id never try a campaign without it. i guess it depends on the nature of the game you want to play. if you just want a one night furball with lots of action id go without altitude. if you want something more realistic id use it.

LOOP

Altitude brings the game to life. It brings out new sides of the aircrafts. You can use new tactics and so on.
    Totally worth trying

You might want to try the simplified altitude rules in the Cancon rules set.
    Climb - up by 1
    Dive - down by 2
    Shots at 2 altitude difference are at half range, single damage not double. Over 2 not allowed.

That's basically it.
    See http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2145

Nope, slows the game to a crawl.

In general, I prefer to play with altitude (it's an aircraft game, and the total lack of altitude was the big reason I got rid of my Crimson Sky game).
    However, some scenarios I run without, either because I'm expecting newcomers, or the action will be confined (trench strafing for example).
    I ran one without this weekend at Origins Gaming Fair with dragons, as I expected newbies, didn't see a need to complicate things further,
    and didn't want figure the climb rate of a dragon
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I started with altitude from game 1 day 1 and have never known anything else. IMHO it makes the game far more interesting. You have climb counters in the WGF RAP and there are also dials you can make in the files section to help tracking.

Has any tried using assorted 8 and 20 side dice for climb rate and altitude tracking?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Has any tried using assorted 8 and 20 side dice for climb rate and altitude tracking?
    yeah. our gaming group resorted to that when we couldnt get the litko altitude dials i had to stay put. it actually worked quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Great idea as well. I like the aesthetic of the altitude gauges, you can download them here http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=184

We don't normally use altitude. However last night we tried it again. We ended up abandoning the game after an hour and three quarters because so little was happening.
    We had two Nieuport 28s against two Aviatik D.Is. After a little bit of climbing and diving the game settled in to two planes at one altitude chasing each other around and the other two at a different altitude (>2 from first planes) chasing each other about.
    Maybe with more practice we would get better at it. I note what a number of you have said about how altitude slows the game down. We play in the evening and have about two hours maximum, so we want something to happen in that time!

With altitude you can use the full ability of some plane types.

For example the SPAD XIII of the Fokker Dr.I.

Of course the kill rate goes down, but that's why you add mission goals or time limits for dogfights.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Windy Jack View Post
    We don't normally use altitude. However last night we tried it again. We ended up abandoning the game after an hour and three quarters because so little was happening.
    We had two Nieuport 28s against two Aviatik D.Is. After a little bit of climbing and diving the game settled in to two planes at one altitude chasing each other around and the other two at a different altitude (>2 from first planes) chasing each other about.
    Maybe with more practice we would get better at it. I note what a number of you have said about how altitude slows the game down. We play in the evening and have about two hours maximum, so we want something to happen in that time!
    In this instance it sounds like your opponent wasn't keen to get into a stoush. I would preservere with altitude rules Doug, they particularly come into play when you use two seaters and bombers. It gives scouts the chance to take them on from advantageous positions.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 08-16-2016 at 00:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy Jack View Post
    ive found that generally adding altitude slows down gameplay. its great for realism, scenarios, and campaign play but if you want just a quick dogfight without altitudes the way to go.

We use altitude in around 25% of our games.
    The thing about altitude is that it does slow the game down, because the shooting rate decreases.
    But on the other hand it also adds a strategic component. For me this game is not just about making the next kill.
    I really love the maneuvering part, trying to outmaneuver you opponent (that is why I don't like the 2-seaters so much ).
    With altitude this part is brought to the next level and gives you a lot more options for maneuvers.
    It also brings in the characteristics of the different aircrafts with their individual climb rates.

The reason why we only play with altitude every fourth game is basically because we play on Wednesdays after work and most
    of us feel drained and prefer to just have fun without having to make to many strategic considerations.

Sascha.

I tend to use altitude with multi-place aircraft especially. And I must add a hearty 'second' to Flying Helmut's comment about it being absolutely necessary in balloon- and trench-strafing scenarios.

I do find that with multi-seat aircraft, the concept of 'blind spots', and the less maneuverable aircraft moving out of range with a well-timed climb or dive adds a whole lot to the game. Contrary to some others experience, I've never seen that actually bring the game to a crawl. But as always, YMMV.

We worked altitude in as we advanced in our game play. Now we use it all the time, however when we introduce new people we let them play without it for simplicity. That's the beauty of the game, you can go as advanced as you like or keep the to the basic rules, it's all up to you.

Similar Missions

1. Altitude
    By Happy in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-21-2015, 04:52
  2. Altitude
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 19:22
  3. Altitude - WoW WWI
    By Gargoyle in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 36