Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Date for the diary - Beachhead 2017

Mickowenuk's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Mick
    Sorties Flown

Default Date for the diary - Beachhead 2017

Apologies for not posting anything for a while, but holiday, serious illness in the family and general work have all got in the way.

Just wanted to give an early heads up for those that may be interested, the Beachhead show in Bournemouth will be running again in 2017 on Saturday February 18th. Please put this date in your diaries, as I am led to believe that all the attendees in 2016 enjoyed themselves.

Regards

Name:  image.png
Views: 549
Size:  114.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mickowenuk View Post
    Please put this date in your diaries, as I am led to believe that all the attendees in 2016 enjoyed themselves.
    Certainly did!

Thanks for the heads-up - it's too early to say at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Beachhead 2016 was still being talked about up north at Hammerhead 2016 on the grounds of it not only being new but also a great event! Glad it looks like becoming a repeater.

RANGE CONCERNS is my main worry but I have plenty of warning to see if I can iron these out. Especially if the Wife fancies a weekend break by the seaside by then: Will keep you posted as I cannot get out of going to Hammerhead 2017 now and that is Saturday March 4th 2017.

Keep you posted anyway.

Thanks Mick - I've already verbally booked us in for WW1 with Pete, I should see him over the weekend and will remind him again. Good to know the date though so I can book my accommodations.
    If there is anyone who is wanting to do WW2 or SoG then we'll book them in as separate tables and expand the 'o' Glory' empire.

"He is wise who watches"

I'm up for this one again
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Definitely up for this mission again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
    Definitely up for this mission again.
    Excellent ! I spoke to Pete this weekend, missed Mick by a few minutes on Saturday apparently, we should get a longer table next time so we have more room for game/display purposes.
    They did say that if anyone is interested in other tables for WW2 or SoG then they'll have to 'get in quick' once the booking commences in earnest, so for those so inclined have a think on it, I will advise when I get the notification.

Calendar Updated
    Last edited by flash; 06-06-2016 at 11:17.

"He is wise who watches"

Received this e-mail from Andy Tutton who is running the bookings for Beachhead:

Thank you for your support at Beachhead 2016 and helping to make our first show a success. We have just booked Saturday 18th February for the 2017 show and would like to invite you to bring along one or more Participation games to the show.
    We spoke briefly the other day at Entoyment, and I am hoping that you manage to find enough volunteers to run all three of the WW1, WW2 and Sails of Glory games that you mentioned.

So, if there is anyone who wants to take on WGS or SoG for Beachhead contact me via PM.

"He is wise who watches"

I have sent in the booking for the WW1 crew, I have asked for a 12x6 table so we will see what we get.
    If anyone wants to do SoG or WW2 I have the booking form.

"He is wise who watches"

Thought I should bump this once more - anyone interested in hosting SoG or WW2 wings ?

"He is wise who watches"

Last call for someone to run a SoG and/or a WW2 game at the show - the organisers are chasing up their supporters from last year before asking/offering tables elsewhere but would love to see these games at the show if we have someone willing to run them. PM me if you're up for it. Cheers Dave.

WW1 players - we are on and will have a table about 14'x4' to play and display on this time round

"He is wise who watches"

The chaps down at the Entoyment store were very keen to get all three of our games at Beachhead, if we can manage it.

Just bumping this and letting you all know that we not only have a looong WGF table at this event we now have a SoG table too. Thanks Chris.
    Tim has an ambition to field his Jasta 18 in its entirety so if any of you can make it down there please come along and have a go, I think we only need 14 players to make this happen...!

"He is wise who watches"

So it's a "bring a Camel" party then?

If you need then, I have B and C flight for RNAS 10 for a total of 12 Camels

Sounds good.

Slightly off topic sorry, TIM - we discussed WoG cards at Reading. Do you want to PM me with your needs?

I'm going to pencil this one in, assuming there is room ok. However, I may have to withdraw late as I am expecting to hear from the medics around that time. Hope that is ok

There's room for all Mike but you'll have to buy a ticket as the BIC really limits the freebies.
    Ticket is a fiver and they'll stiff you for post, or, even picking it up, but it should be no more than Ł7 total for a great day out.
    Hope you can make it.
    here's a link to the ticket purchase

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave - And no prob - I don't think that sort of money will break the bank

PS Now booked Lets hope I can make it there!
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 12-12-2016 at 10:47.

Enjoy Chaps

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Boss has confirmed I should be free to come down again for this

Table officially confirmed as 14 x 4 for the WGF game - crew tickets for Tim, Steve & Andy will be sent on whenever I get them.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Table officially confirmed as 14 x 4 for the WGF game - crew tickets for Tim, Steve & Andy will be sent on whenever I get them.
    Ooer missus, that's a big un. Looking forward to it.

Anyone overnighting in Bournemouth on the Friday? I hate drinking alone

What needs bringing game-wise?

The intention is for myself, Maverick and Bogue to be down the Friday night at a hotel known to Bogue, just waiting for the hotel details, where you staying Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Anyone overnighting in Bournemouth on the Friday? I hate drinking alone

What needs bringing game-wise?
    I'm staying with m'daughter in Poole so likely I will be out with the family but let me know where you're all staying in case I can get along.
    I'm waiting for Tim to get back to me - we may need more bombers but yet to confirm...

It'll look something like this if we do:

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    The intention is for myself, Maverick and Bogue to be down the Friday night at a hotel known to Bogue, just waiting for the hotel details, where you staying Steve?
    Not sure yet. My mate's sorting something out today or tomorrow. I'll let you know when I find out.

OK, we are in the Royal Exeter, across the road from the Centre.

Chaps, those of you who were at Colours may remember I picked up a box of WGS stuff on the bring and buy - elevenaircraft and a RAP. I've decided to avoid slipping further into WW2 so if anyone else might be interested in taking them off my hands at the show for Ł50 or so as a job lot please let me know and I'll bring them down

I'm your Huckleberry!

Happy to take them off your hands (unless anybody else wants them more!)

Got the show package from Entoyment today - Chris, should get one too for the SoG table -
    I have forwarded mine to Tim, Steve & Andy for their passes so check your inbox or junk mail !

...except Steve's has bounced back - PM me your e-mail Gunners, the one I have no longer works.

"He is wise who watches"

Not long now, starting to gather bits and bobs for the trip, hope all you chaps can make it along and you lurkers out there too.
    Tim, is there anything you want us to bring along other than our bad selves ?

"He is wise who watches"

Don't think so.....................I'm completely overwhelmed with work at the moment (I'm working Friday evening, on-call from home Friday night, then working all day Sunday!!!!!)
    I'm just going to bring 'the shop', and choose from that.

Please feel free to bring any particular kites you would like to fly at the BIC.

Not long now, starting to gather bits and bobs for the trip, hope all you chaps can make it along and you lurkers out there too.
    All ready to set off before dawn. Just the rations to pack. See you all at the seaside. Enjoy your overnight stay.

Have a good time - I've got to be elsewhere tomorrow or I would have trundled down.

Let us know how it goes.

Edward

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Don't think so.....................I'm completely overwhelmed with work at the moment (I'm working Friday evening, on-call from home Friday night, then working all day Sunday!!!!!)
    I'm just going to bring 'the shop', and choose from that.

Please feel free to bring any particular kites you would like to fly at the BIC.
    I'll have a few with me...

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
    All ready to set off before dawn. Just the rations to pack. See you all at the seaside. Enjoy your overnight stay.
    Excellent matey travel safe & I'll see you there

"He is wise who watches"

Packing now...................up @ 05:00 tomorrow.

See you chaps there.

Sorry, had to pull out of this one at the last minute. Hope all going well! Mike

Was sorry you couldn't make it Mike, hope the missus is feeling better today.
    Things could not have gone better for the aerodrome crew who, by unanimous decision, finished the day with the Mick Owen Memorial Trophy for the Best Participation Game presented by Mick's widow June. We were honoured to receive this award named for our late wingman and the first such award given at the show in its second year. We would not have been there without him and were glad to do him proud. This one was for Mick..who started this thread.

Name:  SAM_8705.JPG
Views: 1293
Size:  217.7 KB

Name:  SAM_8704.JPG
Views: 312
Size:  229.4 KB
    Tim, Andy & Dave with June Owen & the trophy.
    (Flying Helmut, Ajay & flash)
    Last edited by flash; 02-20-2017 at 09:18.

"He is wise who watches"

We will have some pics along in due course

"He is wise who watches"

Things could not have gone better for the aerodrome crew who, by unanimous decision, finished the day with the Mick Owen Memorial Trophy for the Best Participation Game presented by Mick's widow June. We were honoured to receive this award named for our late wingman and the first such award given at the show in its second year. We would not have been there without him and were glad to do him proud. This one was for Mick..
    Well done chaps!

Congrats to the Wings chaps for getting best Participation game, well deserved in my humble.
    Another trophy to the list.

Congrats all round to the team.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Well done to you all and many congratulations on your award!

Excellent day was had by all - snagging the Trophy was the icing on the cake!

Lots of punters, with quite a few having a go; we had 12 around the table at one point!
    A couple who played last year returned to seek revenge, and we even convinced a couple of X-wing players to give up their ungodly ways (temporarily!) and enter the light - they went off to the 'Entoyment' stand afterwards, and bought duel packs and extra planes!

"Steffi" even managed to bag a couple of kills, and make it off the table for once!

I'll sort out some pictures soon.

Default Some Images of Beachhead 2017

We all made it and kicked off with a recon mission, I soon got myself blown out of the sky and then remembered we should be taking some photos of this !
    Name:  SAM_8686.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  242.3 KB
    Steve, Andy & Andrew on the left, Tim on the right coaching a young pilot.

Steve gives Tim a close range burst.. the relief was obvious !
    Name:  SAM_8687.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  217.4 KB

Steve semaphores in like style
    Name:  SAM_8688.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  205.6 KB

Maybe because he knew this was going to happen shortly after...!
    Name:  SAM_8689.JPG
Views: 294
Size:  216.1 KB

The next game was a balloon hunt - a pair of German gasbags were the target.
    Name:  SAM_8690.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  247.5 KB
    My daughter's other half, Mark, on the left taking a pic, Tim with a couple more newbies on the right

Where only fools rush in ! Steve, Me, Mark, Andy & a punter charge across the lines into battle with Tim and a couple of other punters
    Name:  SAM_8691.JPG
Views: 272
Size:  245.8 KB

Gave me a chance to give my old Dolphin an outing
    Name:  SAM_8692.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  254.8 KB

Tim has brought out 'Steffi' for this game and runs into Andy and a punter
    Name:  SAM_8693.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  225.7 KB

With a couple of points remaining after a thorough going over by flak & a couple of the other chaps I ran into Tim too... it did not go well for me ...again !!
    Name:  SAM_8697.JPG
Views: 282

Though that did give me the opportunity to take this shot of a busy table.
    Name:  SAM_8695.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  226.8 KB

Fortunately some reinforcements were at hand & a couple of punters from last year joined the action
    Name:  SAM_8694.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  212.0 KB

Tim bracketing some poor devil with flak bursts !
    Name:  SAM_8698.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  243.6 KB

We were not alone in our endeavours at Beachhead this year, on the next table were Chris (Boney10), Simon (Maverick) & Dave Manley brought Sails of Glory to the show - Here's Chris and Simon in action at the start of the day
    Name:  SAM_8685.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  239.9 KB

Some superb looking models
    Name:  SAM_8699.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  196.0 KB

Attracted some punters into action too
    Name:  SAM_8696.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  237.8 KB

Of course having these chaps next door led to a little mischief for those out of the action....
    Mav's looking pretty pleased with himself .... ah, I see why !
    Name:  SAM_8700-1.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  262.2 KB

How long until Tim notices it ?
    Name:  SAM_8701.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  194.5 KB

He's far too engrossed... and the ship slips her line and sails away.
    Name:  SAM_8702-1.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  247.4 KB

But it's not just Sails on their table either ... how many wings on that one ?
    Name:  SAM_8703-1.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  224.0 KB

After the presentation Andy, Tim, Mark & I had a little skirmish of our own to finish the day - ending when Mark was shot down & I had avenged an earlier loss to him !
    Name:  SAM_8706.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  239.4 KB Name:  SAM_8707.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  223.0 KB Name:  SAM_8708.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  238.3 KB

All in all a grand day out and coming home having bagged the best participation show trophy made it well worth the effort.
Views: 257

My thanks to Tim, Andy, Steve, & Mark for their time, effort & input that made this years table a winner and to Andrew & all the punters that came along to play.
    Cheers chaps

"He is wise who watches"

Jolly good show there chaps, well done on the best participation game trophy

Thumbs up

Things could not have gone better for the aerodrome crew who, by unanimous decision, finished the day with the Mick Owen Memorial Trophy for the Best Participation Game presented by Mick's widow June. We were honoured to receive this award named for our late wingman and the first such award given at the show in its second year. We would not have been there without him and were glad to do him proud. This one was for Mick..who started this thread.

Name:  SAM_8705.JPG
Views: 1293
Size:  217.7 KB

Views: 312
    Tim, Andy & Dave with June Owen & the trophy.
    (Flying Helmut, Ajay & flash)

Great work everybody & a fitting tribute to Mick!

A great Trophy and tribute to Mick.
    However, I can see the mischief you all get up to when I'm not there to keep you in order.
    I was half expecting that Pirate ship of Mav's to shoot down Peter Pan and not a Triplane.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Hammerhead 2017
    By Tonx in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2016, 12:34
  2. Pictures from Beachhead
    By David Manley in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 04-07-2016, 10:39
  3. National 20th February: Beachhead,Bournemouth.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 02-24-2016, 02:49
  4. January 22, 2014 - "Anzio Beachhead" 70th Anniversary
    By Attila57 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 14:59