Ares Games

Thread: Sometimes I Feel The Same Way...

Default Sometimes I Feel The Same Way...

Good one (LoL)

A definite case of LMF if ever I saw one!

I believe out friend Snoopy has just demonstrated what the RAF used to describe as 'LMF'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    A definite case of LMF if ever I saw one!
    Ha ha I just posted the same thing at the same time - spooky!!!!

LMF?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    LMF?
    Karl
    Lack of moral fibre. = LMF

Ah. Indeed.
    Lots of duplicating posts today
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Could also be severe PONS - Pre-Op Nerves thinks me? Great cartoon ...

Or the sudden realization that the war you're fighting is being run by a pack of inbred degenerate imbeciles who can't seem to comprehend that people walking very slowly in straight lines do not live very long in the face of massed artillery and repeating firearms.

"There's a reason aristocrats develop weak chins." [Harry Hart, _Kingsman: The Secret Service_]

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Total War doesn't decide who is right any more ... But decides who is left! - Anon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    LMF?
    Karl
    There is a good article here about the use of the term 'Lack of Moral Fibre' in RAF Bomber Command during WW2.

https://tailendcharlietedchurch.word...aircrew-stess/

Today PTSD is recognised as a medical condition, not so in the dark days of the 1940s.

Snoopy realizes that the return from some missions are just not worth the risks involved.
    If only the Generals had seen it that way too.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Today PTSD is recognised as a medical condition, not so in the dark days of the 1940s.
    There's some who believe PTSD was recognized as far back as Biblical times -- but since those times didn't have Psychology as a science, they wouldn't have called it that.

The theory goes: When one reads in ancient sources (to include the Bible) of a nations' warriors having a post-battle "spiritual cleansing" (usually after the sack of a city, or a particularly huge battle), where they had to sit at separate campfires away from the rest of the people, that was in fact a way of letting the troops come down from the stress of battle in a controlled manner -- talk things over with other troops, get their heads back on straight -- before returning to "normal life".

I'm not sure if it's valid, but it does explain some things -- esp. as folks these days are (re?)discovering the practice of giving troops who've just returned from the field a means of working their ways back into civvie life by easy stages, rather than just dumping them back into society.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Snoopy realizes that the return from some missions are just not worth the risks involved.
    Rob.
    Good point Rob, are there any Generals who have been shot for "cowardice" in the face of the enemy or where they all to far away and detached from the horror of the battlefield.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.
    However sometimes the troops do not appreciate the big picture. What they see as a 'useless' mission may be just a part of a larger plan.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

That Carl is an excellent point: Amidst the fog of war it is all to easy to lose sight of the objective especially when on the ground the priority has become about the troops' immediate area. Poor leadership (you are not here to think you are here to do) easily exacerbates this important loss especially for morale and co-ordination within a unit.

In the past ground units which became disorientated and were left to their own devices commonly descended into either mutiny or melee - both of which rendered them a total liability upping everyone else's workloads through such significant losses of strength. As we have seen with the increased recognition of PTSD in the postings above advances in psychology have lead to better or more effective leadership.

IMHO leadership is not about ability it is about responsibility. An individual is not ready to lead effectively until they have either seen or have a full appreciation and understanding of the ultimate best as well as the absolute worst extents within their chosen occupation.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Good point Rob, are there any Generals who have been shot for "cowardice" in the face of the enemy or where they all to far away and detached from the horror of the battlefield.
    http://www.historytoday.com/richard-...n-admiral-byng

Can't think of any but there were two Lieut. Colonels who were Court Martialed for cowardice for surrendering thier troops in during the retreat from Mons in 1914. One disappeared into obscurity and the other joined the French Foreign Legion and distinguished himself and was eventually pardoned by the King and reinstated into the British Army.

For the answer to that Paul just turn to Blackadder.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

There was Admiral Byng who ended up hung IIRC "pour encouragez les outres", and Napoleon would occasionally shoot a general or two for the same reason.

“It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.”--G. K. Chesterton
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    There is a good article here about the use of the term 'Lack of Moral Fibre' in RAF Bomber Command during WW2.

https://tailendcharlietedchurch.word...aircrew-stess/

Interestingly in WW1 some more enlightened RFC M.O.'s at Squadron realised some pilots were suffering from "Flying Sickness" & rotated them to Training Schools or Home Defence & usually they recovered from the stress & often returned to the Western Front.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Another really good Snoopy cartoon.

Similar Missions

1. When do you feel WWII started?
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Polls
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 02-25-2018, 10:21
  2. I feel vindicated as a gamer
    By zenlizard in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-13-2016, 09:19
  3. This Is How I Feel *Every* Holiday Season, Snoopy...
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-23-2014, 13:32
  4. Is the "feel" of the site different since the server change?
    By Blauer Baron in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-09-2014, 18:20
  5. When do you feel WWII started?
    By Kermit in forum Polls
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 12:21