Ares Games

Thread: Italian Air War

Default Italian Air War

Just picked up the most recent issue of "Strategy&Tactics" magazine...#299 July-August...with cover article titled "Wings Over the Alps....Italian Airpower in WW1".

While the cover art seemed to promise a excellent article the actual 9 page story focused on the development of the Caproni Bombers.
    For those with an interest in this area of WW1 airwar it is a rather brief but decent rundown of the genesis of bombing in WW1 and beyond.

Four of the nine pages consist of a double page spread of the major early WW1 bombers...the other double page spread is a map of the Northern Italian/Austrian lines of conflict.

Would've liked a deeper exploration of the entirety of development of Italian air power but not to be. Enjoyed the read, well worth a look, but will have to search elsewhere to develop a better sense of the breadth and depth of Italian commitment to air combat in all forms. They obviously created a great many innovations to the field.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Sounds like an article I would be interested in - I originally was going to run a Caproni scenario at Origins this year...bombing the Austro-Hungarian fleet at anchor in Pola...

I shall have to get a copy of this, Thomas - thanks for the information about it!

All the best,
    Matt

That article is available as a free PDF download from the Strategy & Tactics website.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Thank you for the tip about the free download, Robert.

Similar Missions

1. Italian P-51
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2014, 16:56
  2. For the Italian Wing.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 07:24
  3. D.H.4's on the Italian Front
    By Watchdog in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 11