Ares Games

Thread: Club AAR---RAAF attacks Japanese Outpost.

Post Club AAR---RAAF attacks Japanese Outpost.

Played this one at our games club last Tuesday.
    The RAAF mounted an attack on a small Jap Outpost. Their Job to destroy Targets of Opportunity which were a Freighter, a Lily Bomber on the Airstrip, Two Fuel storage tanks, a couple of M/Gun posts which were protected by a Jap Destroyer & some Zeros.
    The game started with 2 Zeros over the Atoll & the Destroyer which had 5 inch & AA M/gun capabilities near the Freighter. If a Zero got shot down then another would appear.

The Australian forces were a Beaufighter (restricted to strafing unless attacked by a Zero) & a P-40 flown by Dal Gavan.
    Two P-40's flown by me & the Jap forces controlled by Glenn Ferrier.

Here is the Games mat set up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Club <acronym title=AAR 1.jpg  Views: 34  Size: 108.4 KB  ID: 197537" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Beaufighter made short work of the Freighter but did take damage from the Destroyer.

Name:	Club <acronym title=AAR 2.jpg  Views: 34  Size: 72.1 KB  ID: 197538" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Club <acronym title=AAR 3.jpg  Views: 34  Size: 102.1 KB  ID: 197539" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

My P-40's attacked the Lily & were lucky to destroy it before being jumped by the Zeros.

Name:	Club <acronym title=AAR 4.jpg  Views: 34  Size: 88.5 KB  ID: 197540" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Retribution was quick as one of the Zeros pulled the Explosion chit on one of my Kittyhawks!

Name:	Club <acronym title=AAR 5.jpg  Views: 34  Size: 75.6 KB  ID: 197541" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Aussies fought back downing a Zero.

Name:	Club <acronym title=AAR 6.jpg  Views: 34  Size: 45.8 KB  ID: 197542" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Beaufighter now destroyed one of the Fuel Tanks & a M/Gun nest.

Name:	Club <acronym title=AAR 7.jpg  Views: 34  Size: 86.6 KB  ID: 197543" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

A general dogfight commenced & Dal's P-40 suffered an Engine Damage & tried to return to home base.

Name:	Club <acronym title=AAR 8.jpg  Views: 34  Size: 84.8 KB  ID: 197544" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

However as it approached the Coast at low speed the Destroyer shot it down.

Name:	Club <acronym title=AAR 9.jpg  Views: 34  Size: 52.4 KB  ID: 197545" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Beaufighter running low on Fuel & Ammo now made for home while the remaining P-40 duelled with two Zeros but its fate was sealed & down it went!

Name:	Club <acronym title=AAR 10.jpg  Views: 34  Size: 41.4 KB  ID: 197546" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As this was an early WW2 game the Zeros were the "2" version & had 12 damage points as recommended by Zoe but had 90 degree turns.

Fun Game & the RAAF lost 3 Kittyhawks but managed to destroy the Freighter, Lily, 1 Fuel Storage tank, 1 M/gun nest & a Zero.
    The mat is a paper one Carl_Brisgamer had made for Cancon a couple of years back.

Hi Barry,

Great to see more South West Pacific action!

Those Japanese Zero pilots made life difficult for the RAAF.

Cheers,

Carl.

Great to see this again, Baz!
    Rep as usual.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Barry this looks like a fantastic skirmish - especially liking the Bristol Beaufighter in general and the P-40s painted with RAAF Markings.

I have got an RAAF Beaufighter but it is a 1/72 diecast model of an aircraft based in Port Moresby. Tempted to paint one up using my diecast model as inspiration so that would mean I had two Beaufighters in the game which also reside in my diecast collection: The other being ZK-A.

Not been playing much WGS of late so going to make a concerted effort to play more - as driven on by AARs as spectacular as this

Nice AAR Barry. Plenty of action there. Would be a nice addition to the PTO scenarios to come after Midway.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

That was quite a ding dong Baz, nicely done by you & the crew

"He is wise who watches"

Nicely done, Barry. I enjoy reading the PTO AARs as an interesting change of pace.

Similar Missions

1. Direction of Attacks
    By Dutchy in forum Polls
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-01-2022, 14:27
  2. Snoopy Attacks
    By Zakopious in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 04:15
  3. RAAF WW2 Pics & info up in the Officers Club!
    By gully_raker in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2012, 16:34
  4. Strafing attacks & overlapping
    By Goering Ace in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-07-2010, 04:20