Ares Games

Thread: Ignore this thread I will redfo it!!!!

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Cool Ignore this thread I will redfo it!!!!

DELTE THIS THREAD I WILL REDO IT!!!

There are 3 Truths to every story
    1) the Truth as I see it
    2) the Truth as you see it
    3) the Truth as it really happened

This is the Truth according to one Manfred von Richtofen in a duel with 2 unknown pilots.

MvR: I was up flying one afternoon by myself near the front, when the hairs on the back of my neck started to stand up. I'm not one to be superstitious, but I've learned that if something doesn't feel right, look around and see if you can spot the problem.
    I noticed two black dots coming from behind getting larger. As I was flying parallel to the front and they were just slightly to my right, it was a good guess they weren't friendly. So I acted like I hadn't seen them to make them over confident.
    When I judged the distance to be about right for a long shot I threw my plane into a quick reverse. Catching them by surprise I flew between them.
    Surprised they split left and right. A quick glance told me I was up against a Nieuport 17 and a Nieuport 23.
    Which one was the more experienced, the silver one or the camo one?
    I didn't recognize either one and from the look of surprise on their faces they had not expected my move. As I had split them I turned right(long rightx2) into the silver one and fired a quick burst into his left side(1). As he kept going left I kicked back left to get behind him. The Nieuport 23 kept circling right (long rightx3) to try to get behind me, but was too far away.
    Attachment 197433
    Attachment 197434
    The Nieuport 17 did a reverse (str, imm, str) as I came left (x2) taking a shot at close range while he was trying his reverse (0,4smoke) and then going straight as the camp Ni23 came left and then straight(x2) taking a shot at me(0).
    Attachment 197435
    Attachment 197436
    I came left(x2) and then straightened out taking a couple of close shots at the 17(2,GJ*), (2,NR) as he tried to evade with a left straight right combo.
    * Ace ability-Dedicated ground crew ignore gun jam

I kicked my plane hard right firing at close range on the Nieuport 17 as it folded it's Wings and spiralled to the ground below.(3Eng,3P)
    Attachment 197437
    Attachment 197440
    Attachment 197441
    The Nieuport23 was trying to sneak in behind me (right, sideslip leftx2) so I kept going right Blazing away at it (3P) before straightening out on his tail shooting again (1NL,0).
    Attachment 197442
    Attachment 197443
    I came left then straightened out(x2) and was on his tail firing (0,2GJ). The Nieuport 23 went straight(x2) then started diving to the Earth.
    Attachment 197444
    Since my guns had jammed and I was behind enemy lines I kicked it hard right(x2) and headed straight for home.I could see the Nieuport slowly diving to safety.
    There will be another day.
    Attachment 197445
    Butcher's Bill
    C. P.
    Manfred von Richtofen-RTB 0 Dmg 1 Kill 8 shots taken
    (Sir Engelbert Mervyn Cockshoot)
    Entente left to right
    Sir Engelbert Mervyn Cockshoot Nieuport 17 SD Et WIA 15 Dmg Smoke Engine 1 shot taken
    Sir Phinneas Malcom Shaftslapper Nieuport 23 RTB WIA 6 Dmg 0 shots taken
    Attachment 197446
    Last edited by Setarius; 05-25-2016 at 07:36.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    There are 3 Truths to every story
    1) the Truth as I see it
    2) the Truth as you see it
    3) the Truth as it really happened
    Wise words Dale ... It's worth actually keeping this thread open for those alone.

I learned a sad fact previously unknown to me when I took a guided tour of Concorde Alpha Delta (G-BOAD) which is situated in New York during April 2016. The guide told us that a number of Concorde's regular clients were in the World Trade Center on 9/11. He said after loosing so many clients the service never recovered. Very sad on many accounts ... RIP as that truth is going to haunt me until the day I die.

On a brighter note the AAR is shaping up nicely - have you just flown that one? I have just completed a Mission as I am off work today due to working this weekend where for the first time in decades TWO Avro Vulcans of the RAF ended up in the same patch of sky together. As this happened in fact I had Aviation Sounds Volume 14: Concorde Departure From NY JFK playing full-blast on the stereo in the front room ... Fortunately the neighbour is at work or else she would have thought there was an airshow going off or something!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Actually Barney this was flown last week, or should I say reflown last week. I flew this about three months ago but didn't take any pictures at that time. I wrote detailed notes on the moves, or I thought I had, just to find when I set it up the moves did not work.
    So after 2 frustrating attempts, and two people standing around at the local game store watching with interest I decided to just start all over and refly it from square one. I accidentally deleted the first picture of the Baron flying between the planes.
    I have the full details and pictures for this in the AAR--Lesson Taught, Lesson Learned? PT. 2 on here.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I have read that AAR Dale and it is excellent - I'm still with your words of wisdom at the start of this thread though.

I reckon you should Go Advanced with the editing and bash all this up and start again with that quote. Then convert this thread into something based on that which keeps my first posting in context. After all that was quite horrific to learn even now ...

Just what I reckon: It's your thread so why have it deleted when you could start a highly interesting discussion - or even a debate. Whilst looking for It Should Never Happen To A Glory Player ... Yesterday which I started originally I trawled through loads of other threads in order to find it and was constantly being sidetracked by some of the threads I came across that have now just been left to die out. But like I say just a suggestion

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

You know Barney, the amount of time we spend on these threads sometimes makes me wonder what wee even try. I mean, people create these stories for the enjoyment of writing and a little education thrown into the right threads. Such as your Circuit and Bumps threads on here. It is obvious you put hours in on each one testing your theories, analyzing what you find and then writing things up in an enjoyable way.
    I wrote my Kentucky Derby thread out of curiosity and spent approximately 18 hours, between set up, flying heat races, flying the final race, putting everything away, then writing it up and posting it. I guess we do it because we love to do it.
    My most recent threads I guess are less than enjoyable, because I've been getting 30+ people looking at them and maybe only 4 or 5 remarks or comments. And those are usually from the same group of about 10-12 people. I know if I read an AAR, whether it is in the OTT or AAR section I try to comment. I will admit that I am a little stingy with my rep gun, but I do give it when I think a person does something special. I see where this thread has 37 views and 3 comments, yours and mine. Sometimes this makes me wonder why I do it and what kind of response I will be getting from my AAR in the bitter end campaign.
    I guess the rainy weather we are having recently is making me a little melancholy. That plus convention season has hit here in the States and I won't be able to attend again this year due to family obligations and a possemove to a bigger place by the end of summer.
    Sorry for unloading on you. I'll see you in the AARs.

...I've been getting 30+ people looking at them and maybe only 4 or 5 remarks or comments. And those are usually from the same group of about 10-12 people. ....
    I know what you mean Dale - that is quite common, we have a lot of lurkers on the site that view but don't comment, some have never even posted. I commented on the AAR as you were going to close this one.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Funny I had been noticing the same thing lately.
    I do appreciate those who take the time to respond.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Sorry for unloading on you. I'll see you in the AARs.
    Dale I do not mind at all and it is a pleasure to lend you an ear.

This is why I kind of started off writing AARs and everything and then became disillusioned myself. One AAR I wrote just before I got Rehabed in December last year received hardly any attention at all.

Also there was one thread I began soon after returning from my global plane spotting jolly about a TV series which is shown in the UK and quite popular. You would have thought that out of the 750 UK members we are supposed to have that nobody watches the telly. Quite a good TV drama series called Home Fires - and the last episode ended with a Spitfire crash!

Kentucky Derby was an all time legend in my opinion Dale - you stuck your head right out there and had an enjoyable day as a result. I just remember falling about the floor laughing with your race commentary - especially when you touched on one of my all time favourite movies when I was young: The Cannonball Run!

When you are part of a long term thing like a hobby or commitment you are going to experience highs lows ups downs and losses of your mojo (to quote another Member) periodically. In that instance I wish I could say something constructive to help them out because they had just made my day SPECTACULARLY! But the better thing was that they personally were well and in good shape.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Thank you again Barney for your comments and responses and the rep.
    At this point in time I am in a similar position as my brothers and I were from early 1972 until late 1977. No television!! During that time the picture tube went out and my father told us he wasn't getting another one, so we had to do something different for a change, and thus creativity and imagination were born. Now, we don't have cable, satellite, or an antenna that works because everything is now digital. We do have a digital TV though. Cable and satellite are too expensive to get the channels we want. And this being a Global community sometimes the references fall short, otherwise I might have commented. I do like some British television series I've seen in the past.
    Anyway I do enjoy this sight and game and plan on being here for a long time. Maybe I will even eventually reach 5000 posts.
    Keep the faith guy, it is always darkest before dawn.

Similar Missions

1. AAR--Lesson Taught, Lesson Learned? PT.1
    By Setarius in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2016, 21:01
  2. A Tactics Lesson from the Master Tactician
    By Naharaht in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-29-2015, 07:49
  3. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 04:21
  4. A Story my Mother taught me