Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory at the World War I Dawn Patrol Rendezvous?

Default Wings of Glory at the World War I Dawn Patrol Rendezvous?

I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but here goes....

This year's World War I Dawn Patrol Rendezvous is being held at the Wright-Patterson Air Force Museum over the weekend of October 1-2. I know that in previous years there were games of Wings of Glory scheduled. Can anyone tell me if this will be happening again this year?

Thanks,
    John

Buckeye Gamers in Flight are indeed going to Dawn Patrol. As yet, no details, as Origins is looming.
    Karl'
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Probably want to PM Cappy Tom since he is the point man with the Museum folks re Dawn Patrol. Know they are excited about our involvement so info should be forthcoming shortly.

i plan on attending. well see how it works out but i plan on it.

My brother and I are both driving in to attend . Looking forward to seeing what gaming opportunities arise.

Hello Everyone,
    Yes Oct 1 & 2 are the dates for Dawn Patrol and they defiantly want us there. If you are participating in the event we should be there Friday the 30th. But I will be getting more details as the dates get closer.
    We will have a great time as we did last Dawn Patrol.

Thomas

kdahlhaus

Glad to hear that! I lost my wife and daughter for a while at the last Dawn Patrol. Found them in the tent playing WOG. You guys were great - the friendliness and willingness to teach my daughter how to play got her hooked.

Any updates as to schedules, events etc.? My brother Willi and I are trying to decide whether to bring something or Everything.....

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    Any updates as to schedules, events etc.? My brother Willi and I are trying to decide whether to bring something or Everything.....
    We have all the help we need, but all are welcome to come and play. You can even bring your lucky planes. We will be putting on nonstop games all of the days Saturday and Sunday. We will take breaks for lunch and some sightseeing.

Do you actually play a 'dawn patrol' at Dawn Patrol?

A few years back I ran an event at the gaming shop and got the owner to give me the keys so I could start at 0600hrs. I actually got two players to turn up!!

I will file a report this evening. If things go to plan I may have a new favorite to bring. Stay tuned......

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    We have all the help we need, but all are welcome to come and play. You can even bring your lucky planes. We will be putting on nonstop games all of the days Saturday and Sunday. We will take breaks for lunch and some sightseeing.
    We are counting on getting in some WGF. Have any scenario that calls for a P-Class Zeppelin? I have one that needs to see some action ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    We are counting on getting in some WGF. Have any scenario that calls for a P-Class Zeppelin? I have one that needs to see some action ;-)
    That would make for some great eye candy. We can work it in if you bring it.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    That would make for some great eye candy. We can work it in if you bring it.

Thomas
    Will do. Looking forward to this!

I see that they finally have an event schedule published:http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Por...-13-161940-653
    Should we plan on any particular gaming scenarios at any particular times, or just roll in on target when we get there?

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Looking forward to seeing folks on Saturday - I hope the weather doesn't put the whammy on things...luckily, the WoG games will be under the big top...

All the best,
    Matt

Found a picture from two years ago on the Air Force Museum's website

Name:  140926-F-DW547-007.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  174.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing folks on Saturday - I hope the weather doesn't put the whammy on things...luckily, the WoG games will be under the big top...

All the best,
    Matt
    We will be in Friday and seek you out Saturday morning, with the L11 in tow.

Name:  zep 3.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  120.4 KB

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Drove by the museum today and they're setting up the tents and roping off the area - still rather soggy with the rain we've had over the last few days, but hopefully we can dance between the raindrops tomorrow!

All the best,
    Matt

Good luck with the weather, hopefully you'll be spared. Have a great time and don't forget the photos!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default Photos from the Dawn Patrol Rendezvous - piloted planes

Got to the Air Force Museum about 10:15 this morning - soooo pleased to have the weather cooperate and be alternating sun and clouds rather than the rain we've had for the last few days! Although I think perhaps the threat of weather might have kept some planes away - there didn't seem to be as many this year as two years ago...or perhaps it's just my imagination.

ANYWAY...I shall let the pictures speak for themselves...

Name:  IMG_0652.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  180.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0653.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  191.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0654.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  189.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0655.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  203.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0656.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  212.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0657.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  249.2 KB

Not too many were flying yet by the time I left around 12:15 - probably waiting for things to dry off a bit before heading into the air - they DO take off on a grass strip behind the museum, so it may have been too soggy from 9 to 11 to allow much flying.

But it's pretty cool to be able to get up close and personal - the SPAD was in the 'spectator' area, while the other five were on the other side of the orange fence barrier waiting their turns to fly...

All the best,
    Matt

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default Gaming at the Dawn Patrol Rendezvous - first games of the day

The Buckeye Gamers in Flight, under the able direction of the indomitable CappyTom, are flying the Wings of Glory flag at the Dawn Patrol. They are in a largish tent among the vendors...

The first two pictures show the Zeppelin raid - BB401 and his brother Willi traveled to Dayton from the greater Chicagoland area, bringing the newly arrived Clipper1801 camo Zep for its inaugural battle (and its spectacular 'eye candy' factor). They were on one table using Tom's vinyl countryside mat and a bunch of Home Defense types of British aircraft - even a Shapeways FE2b...

Name:  IMG_0666.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  206.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0667.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  169.3 KB

Here we see CappyTom flying the Fokker DVII against a young lad in an SE5a - a newcomer to the game - both having a blast! I happened to see the young fellow later in the morning after his first game against Tom, buying a couple of Ares planes from one of the local retailers who had a tent set up at the event - a great opportunity to play and then purchase...

Name:  IMG_0668.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  266.5 KB

Here you see the Zeppelin again with its proud owner at the helm - Bob (BB401) is standing and his brother 'Willi' is sitting to the right...they are having a ball!

Name:  IMG_0671.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  186.1 KB

And you can tell from the smile on CappyTom's face that he's in his element...

Name:  IMG_0669.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  162.4 KB

A great way to expose the general public (and a somewhat focused-on-WWI-airplanes public) to our favorite game...

All the best,
    Matt

Great photos Matt, thanks! Those sure are some pretty kites.

Looks like a great time indeed! Nice break from the desert heat . . .

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default Dawn Patrol RC models

Soooo many lovely RC models - at least 50+ at the Rendezvous - these were just some of my favorites...

Name:  IMG_0658.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  257.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0659.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  278.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0660.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  232.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0661.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  316.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0662.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  295.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0672.jpg
Size:  259.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0673.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  334.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0674.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  226.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0675.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  316.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0676.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  303.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0677.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  309.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0678.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  319.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0679.jpg
Size:  256.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0680.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  250.3 KB

All the best,
    Matt

Wish I was there!

Nice pictures from one RC WW1 lover to another.
    Matt check this out.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1122519

Oh crap. After seeing these RC planes I want one!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Cool link, Mike! I assume from your profile page that little DH-2 is your baby - what a beaut! The RC planes at the Rendezvous this weekend are quite a bit bigger... The whole RC thing is a rabbit hole I prefer NOT to go down...but I certainly appreciate the lovely work of those who do

I think you would have enjoyed being here - perhaps tacitly plan a road trip two years from now?!

All the best,
    Matt

Good times with great hosts. Tried to jam in sightseeing, gaming, and touring the museum into eight hours. Will circle back this a.m. to see some more before the Homeward Express leaves.
    Will also post some reflections on managing a zeppelin in WGF on a new thread. Much to track and a challenge to stay organized!

Great pics, Matt. Those RC photos are just as impressive.
    Take away the size references from the pictures and some of them would look "real".

I'd love to see the DH.2 in operation.
    I'd be afraid to try it for fear of ruining it.

I was in Ohio again last week, but the wrong part - Cleveland this time.

Willi here (Bill Blecke). My brother Bob (BB401) thoroughly enjoy our trip to the WWI Rendezvous and USAF Museum. Awe inspiring. My first time. Finally got to see Wes Jones in his full size Sopwith Pup in the air entertaining us land lovers.
    Gaming was fun too as can be seen by Matt56 greats pics. Little did we know that Oct. 01 was also the induction ceremony for the 2016 USAF Class Hall of Fame! Saw host David Hartman doing his warm up intro. I will post some of my pics later (were still driving home).

Great photos of all the planes and the games being played. Always good to see members getting together. Glad you had better weather then here in MD.

I would like to thank all those that help make this another great Dawn Patrol! I know it took a lot out of all of us but we got so much more. I also want to put out a special thank you to Dawn and Randy. You guys really made this event very special for Crystal and me.

Thomas

Willi here again. It was commented during game play that no one has ever seen a kite get hit by 3 flame cards in rapid succession. I am here to tell you that despite the Burn, I survived the downing of the ZEP. After the flames, I kept getting O damage cards, I simply continued to burn and shoot backName:  IMG_1211.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  134.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Willi here again. It was commented during game play that no one has ever seen a kite get hit by 3 flame cards in rapid succession. I am here to tell you that despite the Burn, I survived the downing of the ZEP. After the flames, I kept getting O damage cards, I simply continued to burn and shoot backName:  IMG_1211.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  134.0 KB
    Had we been playing in most normal campaign conditions, you would have , I believe, bern required to draw all remaining fire damage cards before you could claim a successful return to base, which you almost certainly would not have survived. ........ (twirls moustache and laughs darkly)

Most likely, but I just had to get the photo in

Similar Missions

1. National: World War I Dawn Patrol Rendezvous
    By rhodie80 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-16-2014, 14:18
  2. Wings of Glory gaming at the Dawn Patrol W W 1 airplane fly-in!
    By RickMartin in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 10:45
  3. World War I Dawn Patrol Rendezvous 2014
    By CappyTom in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-11-2014, 06:04
  4. Ohio: 2014 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous - September
    By predhead in forum US Wing
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 19:21
  5. Replies: 32