Ares Games

Thread: AAR--Lesson Taught, Lesson Learned? PT.1

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Wink AAR--Lesson Taught, Lesson Learned? PT.1

Pictures from this AAR will be in part 2.

We hold these truths to be self evident, That All Men Tell The Truth.
    There are 3 truths to every story:
    1) the Truth as I see it
    2) the Truth as you see it
    3) the truth as it actually happened.

The story you are about to hear is the truth...according to Sir Phinneas Malcom Shaftslapper

Max Stringer: Sir, we have an unidentified Nieuport 23 circling the field attempting to land.
    Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker: Get security out there to meet it and get two planes up to check its back trail. I don't want any surprises. Have the emergency crews on standby.
    Max: Yes sir.

Loudspeaker: Attention all personnel, Code Red 3, Code Red 3. 2Lt. Finnegan and Pennington to the ready line.

Ready line:
    Max: The plane that just landed is unidentified, get up top and check its back trail to the front to make sure we won't have any unwanted company.

24 Hours later:

E. Rickenbacker: Hello Nurse Auger.
    Nurse Marie-Paule Auger: Bon Jour Capitan Rickenbacker.
    E. R.: Is the patient awake yet?
    Nurse Auger: Oui. Dr. Hachette is with him now.
    E. R.: Good Thank You.

E. R.: Dr. Hachette how is the patient?
    Dr. Killian Hachette: Contrary, cranky, and insisting on speaking to a proper British Officer and a Gentleman, and a bottle of 1902 Champagne to celebrate.
    E. R.: What is he celebrating?
    Dr. Hachette: He won't say until he talks to a British officer.
    E. R.: I'll talk to him and see what I can find out.
    Hello I'm Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker. Do you know where you are?
    Sir Phinneas Malcom Shaftslapper: Sure I do. I'm in some French Looney bin that is posing as a medical facility.
    E. R.: You are in the field hospital where you landed your plane. Will you tell me your name and what unit you are with so we can notify them of your whereabouts.
    Sir P. M. S.: Did you say your name was Richenbacher? A German!
    E. R.: No, it's Rickenbacker with a "K". Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker of the American Expeditionary Force. I'm American!
    Sir P. M. S.: A Bloody Yank! I ask to speak to An Officer and A Gentleman and they send me a Bloody Yank!
    Where is my bottle of 1902, and get me a proper British Officer and Gentleman!
    E. R.: Max, get a hold of the Bulldogs and let them know we need to talk to Uncle about this gentleman. Give him what we know about this guy.
    M. S.: Yes sir.

M. S.: Sir, a Capt. Percival Sledge to see you.
    Capt. Percival Sledge: Capt. Rickenbacker I presume. I'm Capt. Percival Sledge, you can call me Percy.
    E. R.: Welcome Capt. You can call me Eddie. I am going to assume you are the Man from Uncle.
    Capt. P. S.: I am.
    E. R.: Have you been briefed about the gentleman in our hospital?
    Capt. P. S.: I have, shall we go meet him.
    E. R.: Come with me. Max join us.

E. R.: Nurse Du Toit is the English Gentleman awake?
    Nurse Perinne Du Toit: Oui Capitan, Dr. Max Baschet is with him now.
    E. R.: Thank you Capt. this way.
    Here he is Capt.
    This is Capt. Percival Sledge, he is with military intelligence.
    Capt. P. S.: Thank you Capt.
    Sir would you mind answering a few questions for me?
    Sir P. M. S.: Sure, since you do seem to be British and an officer and a gentleman. One thing though.
    Capt. P. S.: Yes?
    Sir P. M. S.: Where is my case of 1902 Champagne so we can celebrate.
    Capt. P. S.: Questions first, celebrating second.
    Question one...what is your name and what unit do you fly with?.
    Sir P. M. S.: That's two questions. But, since your British I'll answer both. I am Sir Sgtmajor Phinneas Malcom Shaftslapper (ret.) and I do not fly with any unit.
    Capt. P. S.: You do not fly with any unit? Where did you acquire the Nieuport 23 you flew in here?
    Sir P. M. S.: I bought it.
    Capt. P. S.: You bought it!! When and where?
    Sir P. M. S.: About 6 months ago from a farmer on the coast of France. Said he found it and a Nieuport 17 in a field near his place.
    Capt. P. S.: Start from the beginning of your story and don't leave anything out.
    Sir P. M. S.:
    About a year ago me and Engelbert, that would be Sir Engelbert Mervyn Cockshoot, we was drinking in my parlor when we spotted a story in the news about one of our boys having shot down his 20th plane.
    Well, me and Engelbert, being big game hunters since our stint in Africa during the Boer Wars, got talking and wondered what it would be like to stalk one of them there Hun aces and bag the bloke. Wouldn't that be quite a jolt. We inquired about the Hun aces and one name kept popping up. Manfred von Richtofen, the Red Baron.
    So we decided to find us a kite or two and start the hunt.
    After about 6 months we found the Nieuports. They were full of holes, but looked repairable. We started working on them and after about two months they were ready.
    We proceeded to learn how to fly them and after about another 3 months we thought we were ready. We quietly moved our planes closer to the front .
    The day finally came, we left our base camp, took to the air and head into Hun territory to begin our hunt.
    The first several outings we did not see anything, but that is how things going when you go hunting. Then one day we were up and about and saw I big air battle. There must have been at least a dozen planes dancing around each other. We decided to steer clear as we did not see our quarry in the mix.
    Then three days ago we spotted his plane. The Baron was flying alone as if he ruled the world and didn't have anything to worry about.
    We caught him by surprise as we dropped on him guns ablazing away ripping holes in his wings on both sides of him as he tried to climb and reverse to come at us. We both let him have another burst as he came at us. Both Engelbert and I turned to the outside as the Baron flew between us. The Baron went after Engelbert, which put me behind him, but not close enough for a shot. The Baron started peppering poor old Engelbert and even got right on his tail. I don't know what kind of guns the Baron was using but he made quick work of Engelbert and down his kite went spiralling into the ground below.
    I was about 2 ticks too slow to save Engelbert because my next shot had the Baron's Wings fold up and he went tumbling to the ground.
    Capt. P. S.: So you are saying that you and a friend bought a couple of damaged kites, repaired them, taught yourself how to fly them, then went hunting Manfred von Richtofen, the Red Baron himself and shot him out of the air!?!
    Sir P. M. S.: Exactly! Now where is my Champagne?
    Capt. P. S.: Will you excuse us for a minute!

Capt. P. S.: What do you think?
    E. R.: It explains the holes in the plane and him. But, shooting down von Richtofen? I don't know. What about you?
    Capt. P. S.: The last part I doubt. Let's make a few calls before we celebrate anything.
    E. R.: Agreed!
    Last edited by Setarius; 05-24-2016 at 11:25. Reason: correct an error

This seems to be quite a tale. I'll be lurking here to know more.

Thumbs up

Yep! I will look out for the next episode.

Similar Missions

1. A Tactics Lesson from the Master Tactician
    By Naharaht in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-29-2015, 07:49
  2. What I've learned after seeing the movie Flyboys
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 07-25-2014, 12:26
  3. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 04:21
  4. A Story my Mother taught me