Ares Games

Thread: Pickup Sorties at Games and Grounds (FLGS), Comox, BC

Default Pickup Sorties at Games and Grounds (FLGS), Comox, BC

Shane [Skyguy001] and I got together today to play a bit of Wings of Glory, and did some head to head (two vs two planes) flying.

We were going to do some Balloon Busting, but dopey lizard forgot the balloons. So we did scouts.

First game, Siemens-Shuckarts D.IIIs vs a Snipe and SE 5a. Not too spectacular, but this kept happening...

Note the maneuvers. Almost identical cards, for nearly the same maneuvers...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160521_133607Comp.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	197069
    Baker's Snipe vs Lange's D.III maneuvers.

However, with starting points being different, the end result wasn't nearly as spectacular...

Name:	IMG_20160521_133616Comp.jpg 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	197070

It got to be a bit of a joke, as Shane and I would copy or mirror our card selection for turn after turn.

However, before all the booming and maneuvering off the mat, we managed to do this!

Name:	IMG_20160521_135140Comp1.png 
Size:	671.1 KB 
ID:	197073
    Yes, there are four planes in this pile! Using my house rule of "No collision unless the red dot is covered by the shadow of the overlapping plane", this was a miss by all of the planes involved! Note: I consider the ground scale of 1/900, and that the planes are "representative" at 1/144th scale. So, technically, if the dots or center post aren't overlapping, the planes are not in the same space, and therefore, no collision. I expand that to the shadow of the overlapping plane, which is a bit closer to the rules, but still, IMHO, way out of scale for actual collisions. Base over Base is just punishingly broad for the ground scale.

This game ended in a Win for Shane, as he Boom Carded my nearly undamaged plane, and nibbled my other plane to death. I was sort-of lucky as Shane flew his SE 5a off the edge of the mat shortly after taking out my first plane. That equaled out the odds, but the Itchy Trigger Finger skill on his remaining plane kept it a solid win for him, as the flame damage he would have drawn in our final short-ranged, head-on encounter prevented me from returning the damage he dealt out to me.

The second game, we managed to introduce a new player, Doug, a regular at G&Gs, to Wings of Glory. It took him about half way through the game to get the hang of flying the S-S D.III, as he did a tour of the outer fringe of the entire mat. However, during the second half of the game, he finally started doing some of the trickier maneuvers, like Immelmanns, and he managed to take out Shane! Nice shooting at the end.

More spreading Wings of Glory love to the locals! Thanks Shane!
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-21-2016 at 22:29.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I can relate to your Mirror moves" as I had a lot of that trying to finish my Over the Trenches: Last Waltz yesterday.

Great representation of overlap in this pic of yours, Mike.
    Wish I had your talents!

Name:	Card Overlap.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	197082

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I can relate to your Mirror moves" as I had a lot of that trying to finish my Over the Trenches: Last Waltz yesterday.

Great representation of overlap in this pic of yours, Mike.
    Wish I had your talents!

Name:	Card Overlap.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	197082
    A college course in Photoshop didn't hurt...
    Mike

Got to go on one Mike , If there was a college anywhere near me

How do you like the Snipe? I find them quite nifty in dogfights against DR V11s

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Got to go on one Mike , If there was a college anywhere near me

How do you like the Snipe? I find them quite nifty in dogfights against DR V11s
    Paul,
    Barker's Snipe was the first Wings of War plane I ever flew, against a D.VII. I won the fight, after some serious banking and cranking. It was what got me completely hooked.
    This game, against the S-S D.IIIs, it fared well. Had Shane been a bit more familiar with the SE 5a, I would have been truly done-in.

As the older brother to the Sopwith Camel, I like the look and maneuverability of it a lot. However, as it didn't get the air time it needed to make a name for itself, I think it lost out in reputation. As we have seen in other discussions, the pilot makes the plane, and Barker demonstrated that even impossible odds are survivable. Against many, many planes, he shot down four to his one.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Paul,
    Barker's Snipe was the first Wings of War plane I ever flew, against a D.VII. I won the fight, after some serious banking and cranking. It was what got me completely hooked.
    This game, against the S-S D.IIIs, it fared well. Had Shane been a bit more familiar with the SE 5a, I would have been truly done-in.

As the older brother to the Sopwith Camel, I like the look and maneuverability of it a lot. However, as it didn't get the air time it needed to make a name for itself, I think it lost out in reputation. As we have seen in other discussions, the pilot makes the plane, and Barker demonstrated that even impossible odds are survivable. Against many, many planes, he shot down four to his one.
    Well I have been concocting a "What if " Campaign where the War continues for another 2 years, allowing the Snipe to come into its own, more flying time for the D V11 and the flying Razor D V111. Give it till the Winter months and I might post it up to see who salutes it.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Well I have been concocting a "What if " Campaign where the War continues for another 2 years, allowing the Snipe to come into its own, more flying time for the D V11 and the flying Razor D V111. Give it till the Winter months and I might post it up to see who salutes it.
    That could be fun to fly. Run it up the flag pole!
    Mike

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Mike I hope you are well. May I wholeheartedly agree with your appraisal of the Sopwith Snipe and admit that my full-time WGF playing career began with one too. Prior to this I had just flown Albatros D. VIIs and a Fokker DR. I (shot down by Snoopy in fact) whilst playing on a part-time basis. It is an excellent aircraft to get somebody new interested in the game with

Bit of a disaster with a Snipe yesterday as two of the OFC: Oil Flying Corps encountered a Zeppelin Staaken and the only way 2 x Snipes appeared to deal with this massive marauder was to collide with it ... But you can't win 'em all I suppose.

Thumbs up

Good to see you not only gaming but introducing a newcomer to Wings.

Well Done.

Similar Missions

1. Ohio: The Wright Flight at the FLGS
    By matt56 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-19-2015, 16:10
  2. Massachusetts WWII Wings of War pickup games at WPI Gaming Weekend today!
    By Sixer in forum US Wing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 07:49
  3. Comox History Made - Home Game!
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-02-2014, 12:20
  4. AAR / OTT Training Grounds / Scenario 1 - Entente
    By drsid in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 12:20
  5. 2, 1/144 at my FLGS