Ares Games

Thread: Ooh -- That's Gonna Be Expensive....

Yes Expensive & interesting to find out what went wrong.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

N-I-M-R-O-D ...

The B-52H may be a jaw-dropping aircraft but it has been in service since 1960 (modified B-52G) to 1965 (produced as B-52H) making them on average half a century old. Also bear in mind those gigantic flexing wings ... Could we be at the start of a similar downfall of an age-based nature which befell the British BAC Nimrod R.1A / MR2 fleet?

Bearing in mind the wing characteristics I am intrigued to find out where the fire started and if it was in an area where the wings resonate or bend and flex?

I hope the B-52 is not about to suffer any form of downfall out of service let alone one as catastrophic as the BAC Nimrod did - the pinnacle of which occurred on September 1st 2006 to XV230 over Kandahar.

I still vividly recall the shock wave from this one hitting the glass in my office, back in the 90's . . . so sad and tragic. Glad these got out alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjFIB1L3BPU

Probably due for something like ECP1581 "Pacer Plank" was for the old tall-tail D's, a complete rewing and reskin.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    I still vividly recall the shock wave from this one hitting the glass in my office, back in the 90's . . . so sad and tragic. Glad these got out alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjFIB1L3BPU
    OMG I am glad you were no nearer! This crash in 1994 at Fairchild AFB was caused by pilot error when Arthur Holland (not sure of rank but that was the name of the Command Pilot) lost control too close to the ground to be performing manoeuvers of the nature seen. Two months prior to this he had been involved in an incident caught on camera where his B-52H cleared a mountain ridge by an estimated 60 feet. Well known at the time to be a seasoned aviator who was beginning to push his luck in the opinion of a growing number of his squadron just that little bit too far. Nobody walked away from this crash and the precise date is recorded at the bottom of this footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Probably due for something like ECP1581 "Pacer Plank" was for the old tall-tail D's, a complete rewing and reskin.
    AKA "Jack up what's left, and slide a new 'plane under it".

Similar Missions

1. Gonna need another damage deck
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-26-2015, 18:09
  2. Expensive Sunday!
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-01-2014, 01:01
  3. Barrage baloon 1/200 - i'm gonna arrange a limited batch
    By Lino22 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 16