Ares Games

Thread: The Dreams of a wounded airman - 1. The photo shoot

Default The Dreams of a wounded airman - 1. The photo shoot

Harrietsham, Kent
    Our hero, 2 Lt Horace Edward Roe RFC, lay in bed, in a coma poor chap. He'd been dragged, unconscious, from the wreck of his Harry Tate (RE8), having just about coaxed said aircraft back to base. This, following a rather unfortunate encounter with a large bomber, a Gotha. Sadly, his observer/gunner, the brave Sergeant Lever, had not been so lucky, although it was the latter who was credited with firing the incendiary bullets, which had flown so true and done for the enemy aircraft. Or so it was believed from reports coming in from other pilots.

Lt Roe was rushed off to the rear where, no doubt, it was to be some time before he would regain consciousness, if at all. But our tales of daring do not end here. Why not? Well, because we are privy to his dreams! Memories, confused with wishful tales of heroic events, that he undoubtedly wanted to be responsible for! Perhaps he was, at least in part – who knows?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mistymorning.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	196782

Somewhere near Trones Wood, Guillemont, France July 1st 1916

A cold, dank, mist shrouded the fields and hills surrounding the warring armies, ghostly shadows of burnt out buildings and charred trees the only landmarks. Ploughing the farmland this year had not been by traditional methods, shells from enormous guns digging thousands of craters that were far too large, applying fertilizer that was too heartbreaking to describe. How could anyone fly an aircraft in these conditions? Aaaah, but there were the flashes to guide the way. Countless big guns lighting a passage to the trenches only yards away, filled with what? Other human beings of course! “Not fun, not fun at all!”. Why did he have that recurring thought in his mind? Returning, time and time again alongside the image of a large flaming winged creature of the night! It bothered him, just when he had something important to do! But what was that?

Guns firing, lots of guns, a chacophony of noise to deaden the senses. “Got to find the target”. “Take pictures! Get back with them!”. If only the hundreds of shells, visible all around him, floating slowly towards their victims, could be avoided. Where are the other aircraft? Ah, there they are, dark shadows either side of him – three aircraft, all directed at the flashing lights.

Name:	20160515_134336_resized.jpg 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	196784 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160515_134647_resized.jpg 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	196785

“How odd! Why are we here?” “Get a grip man. You're British; a hero, remember!” “B*ll**ks to that, this is all totally senseless and I'm just here because a few crazy families, someplace in Europe I've never been to, are having a family squabble. Jolly old Kaiser is bombing London, taking great care not to hurt the dear old relations, whilst cousin George retaliates by knocking over Wilhelm's subjects by the thousand, using me in the process! Where's the heroism in that?”. “Enough, that's defeatist talk and I won't have it. Do your duty man, for King and country. Where's your honour Lieutenant? None of this traitorous drivel”. “But my head hurts and I want to go home for a cup of tea!”

Name:	20160515_134438_resized.jpg 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	196786

“Target ahead! And what's that over there? Dash it, the hun is about! Couple of the so and so's! Mist is lifting. Got to keep the blighters away from Johnny boy – he's a good lad that Johnny boy, he'll risk all to get the pictures”

Name:	20160515_134724_resized.jpg 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	196787

“There, off he goes, watch the archie young fellah!”. “Must pay attention, you fool Roe, otherwise the hun will slip round the flank and take young Johnny out”. “Two against two huh? I say fellows, that's jolly good odds don't ya think, what, what! Let's have at them Freddie old boy. Johnny will get the pictures, you watch my back like a good chap!”

Name:	20160515_141620_resized.jpg 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	196788

Da da da da, da da da da, “Here we go again, what! Same old story, short bursts is all you need. That's what they said, wasn't it?” “Who?” “Them. Pay attention old boy, or you'll cop it for sure!” “My head hurts, where's that tea?” “Hun's engine sounds odd! Ha, ha, did I hit him purchance? Look out, joystick hard left old boy, t'other hun blighter has you in his sights, what!” “Not fun, not fun at all!”.

Name:	20160515_142936_resized.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	196789 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160515_144618_resized.jpg 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	196790

“Damn, archie has hit young Johnny boy. Nooooo! Smoke pouring from his engine”. “Get out of there me lad, run, run run. Home with the pictures of all these pretty fields. Only they're not so pretty now are they? Not with all those holes in them and arms and legs and bits and bobs growing everywhere!” “Concentrate laddie, got to make sure Johnnie makes it home”. “Oh no, now Freddie has one on his tail. Watch out Freddie, behind you lad”. Archie too, is blasting away at brave Freddie now. But Freddie is hit, his plane spewing smoke, black as eternal night, as it spins and spins in a spiral towards the earth 3000 feet below. Now Freddie is down and out, his plane a flaming ruin on the ground.

Name:	20160515_151545_resized.jpg 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	196791 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160515_151606_resized.jpg 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	196792

More damned fertilizer for the farm! “Make the Hun pay!” “No, run for home” “Make him pay I say” “No, far better to run away; live to fight another day” “Well, if you won't go after them, I will. Tally ho!”

Name:	20160515_152912_resized.jpg 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	196814 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160515_152157_resized.jpg 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	196815

But too late. The Hun are gone; home to supper, job well done! Johnny made it ok, “but poor old Freddie”. “Enough of that me lad. We don't talk about such things now, do we? We're British and heroes are we not?”

“B*ll**ks!”

Harrietsham, Kent

“What do you think doctor? Will he make it?” “Too early to say sir, that's a nasty wound to his head I'm afraid. One can never tell with a coma, sometimes they come out of it in a day or two, sometimes never. But his brain is still active enough. Keeps muttering something about “tea” and “family squabbles” with the occassional “da da da da” thrown in. Can't make head nor tail of it myself. We'll keep you informed. Let you know the moment he comes round. If he does, that is!”

Enjoyable mission this one – opposition provided by Jon, the guy wearing my father in law's Dutch National Service helmet from many moons ago! (see below) The three Airco DH2's are all the same model, so we used a few number tokens to distinguish between them. That worked just fine. Not ready to repaint models just yet and still hoping to find the remaining DH2s, perhaps after the next decade or two! I see, from the appropriate thread, that there is only a two point difference between the DH2 and the Halberstadt DIII – but I don't have a clue how said points system might be applied in any way other than selection of models, pre-game. Perhaps someone could enlighten me if the points have any other significance.
    Hope you enjoy the mission report and apologies all round for any historical innaccuracies, unintended offence given etc etc. Trying to keep it all fun, but there is a serious side to all this, which I'm finding difficult to keep out. Sorry!

Name:	20160515_153502_resized.jpg 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	196816

Mike

PS. Sorry about the trenches Bit of a hasty addition – just pretend they are newly dug in chalk, ok! I'm working on it! Budget now stretched pretty thin, so mats will have to wait
    M

Nicely done Mike, wouldn't worry about the points system too much that's for people who want a balanced game... most of us are quite unbalanced, as you are probably finding out, and play games in a similar manner !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Hahahaha OK I've joined the right clan then

Thumbs up

Great idea for your storyline Mike! Very inventive
    Good bit of ad libbing with the 3D scenery as well.

Excellent narrative, Mike.

Nice photos and story line.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post

PS. Sorry about the trenches Bit of a hasty addition – just pretend they are newly dug in chalk, ok! I'm working on it! Budget now stretched pretty thin, so mats will have to wait
    Don't rush to get the mats - they are for those of us who don't have an excellent playing board like yours!

I much prefer looking at the ambiance that you are able to show us.

Thanks buddy - Episode four has been begun

Thanks - wasn't sure it was a bit over the top, but I'm enjoying putting it together!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Don't rush to get the mats - they are for those of us who don't have an excellent playing board like yours!

I much prefer looking at the ambiance that you are able to show us.

For the time being I'm happy with the backdrop, but I'm working on a change or two - otherwise the pics will become less than interesting. I'll see what I can fix up for the future. Meantime, thanks for the feedback. Appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    Nice photos and story line.
    Mike
    Cheers Mike - hope I can keep it going. Really enjoying it!

the helmets a nice touch!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    the helmets a nice touch!!!!

My wife is Dutch and the helmet belonged to her dad. He was too young to fight in the war although he lived through the occupation of Holland, being 15 or 16 come the end. He then had to do National Service in the Dutch army. Why he still had the helmet by the time I met him I have no idea. When the old boy moved on to pastures green it was decided that I should have his helmet. I've cared for it ever since!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    My wife is Dutch and the helmet belonged to her dad. He was too young to fight in the war although he lived through the occupation of Holland, being 15 or 16 come the end. He then had to do National Service in the Dutch army. Why he still had the helmet by the time I met him I have no idea. When the old boy moved on to pastures green it was decided that I should have his helmet. I've cared for it ever since!
    hes quite lucky he wasnt but a few years older. id guess he got to keep the helmet because he got out around the time holland was adopting their version of the us m1 helmet and leftover german helmets were no longer needed nor wanted. it probably reminded him of his time in the service or maybe he just like the shape. the german helmet is rather stylish.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Really good narrative Mike. And I wouldn't worry about getting the mats as long as you can keep putting terrain together like you have been doing. What you have there looks great, I just wish I had the storage space to invest in scenery like you have.
    Keep up the good work.

Similar Missions

1. What dreams may come . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-18-2017, 17:15
  2. Bristol Scout flies at Stow Maries Photo shoot day.
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-07-2016, 02:42
  3. Wounded and Can / Cannot Shoot
    By SHVAK in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-18-2014, 02:07
  4. Pin Up Photo Shoot at the Military Aviation Museum
    By ptownhiker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 21:15
  5. Shoot the Plane or Shoot the Card?