Ares Games

Thread: Series 4 Repaints

Default Series 4 Repaints

I hope the photos have turned up.

The two Pfalz DIII's are from Jasta 15 of course, I had to paint on the tail crosses as I didn't have any decals left. The Rumpler still has to have it's fuselage and tail decals put on, I gave in and sent to Dom for these.

I also couldn't quiet get the light mauve colour but no doubt the paint would have weathered or the WoW colour might just be off, so that is my effort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0024.jpg   DSCF0026.jpg   DSCF0027.jpg  

Very well done! The detailed painting is great.

Looks great! Wanna paint my planes?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Very nice job - I especially like the Hunting Horn on von Buttlar's machine - it came out very well indeed.

Funnily enough the star was a swine to paint and I thought, easy peasy, two triangles, but I had to paint over them a few times before I got it right.

I really like the big chicken, I just couldn't resist that

I would be happy to repaint your stuff Charlie but the postage might be a bit prohibitive!

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    Funnily enough the star was a swine to paint and I thought, easy peasy, two triangles, but I had to paint over them a few times before I got it right.

I really like the big chicken, I just couldn't resist that

I would be happy to repaint your stuff Charlie but the postage might be a bit prohibitive!
    I am not suprised about the star. The eye is a critical master on symetrical shapes. I once had to cut out a Star of David from silver for a friend. My goodness did that have me in a sweat before I finished it. The aircraft are superb. Thanks for the chance to see them George.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

looking Good

They look very nice. I was planning an Pfalz or two from Jasta 15, you beat me to it as I'm a slow painter.
    Don
    Last edited by Burt; 10-27-2010 at 10:41. Reason: spelling

Excellent work. I wish I had your gift.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Great work, I'm still waiting for my Series Four planes, so no repaints for me for a while...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

*Still* waiting - they've been out just over a month now. Where on earth did you order from...?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Amazon, I pre-ordered them, they were cheap... I was a fool... I could have them by now...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Blimey - must admit I'd have told them where to stick it by now - I manage sporadically indifferent service myself, but that's just extracting the urine....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Ha ha, I could always cancel my orders, but I'm determined to show them who's the bigger man!

Nice paintjobs, especially the handpainted symbols. Always liked the Pfalz's design, pity they're horrendous in the air if they are used against their historical opponents !

I hear you Iain, and I have lost a few fights flying them, but not in their nice new colours. Probably come into their own in a nice big dogfight, always something flying about in range

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Good point - must admit I keep catching myself looking at Jasta 30 paint schemes....

Very nice work!!

Nice work George. I'll be doing a Jasta 15 Pfalz sometime soon, along with 5 others.

I have 6 SE5a's almost finished. I've used Dom's Snipe decals so far and am waiting for some 3mm roundels for the fuselage sides.

These are total re-paints, taking great care to paint around the squadron markings. Only the 'A' plane has had the struts done so far and they all still ned the tails re-painted

I did the same for my two SE5's but I painted on the small lettering as I couldn't quite get the decal right where I wanted it before it turned to mush I might have another go.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

If you're having trouble positioning, try gloss varnishing before you decal - much easier to adjust decals on a smooth surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    I did the same for my two SE5's but I painted on the small lettering as I couldn't quite get the decal right where I wanted it before it turned to mush I might have another go.
    The lettering on the fuselage sides is actually 3mm letraset. If you are using decals then do as Dom suggests. Use the Gloss varnish and once dry use a wet paint brush to apply and move the decal. Once it's in place just touch it with the corner of a tissue (Kleenex) to soak away the excess water, then allow to dry, paint over with Micro Sol to soften and mould to the surface, allow to dry, and then coat in gloss varnish to protect and watch that decal film just disappear like magic.

Once painting is complete on any area, I coat it in gloss varnish to protect it when handling. I also consider it a must before applying any decals,lettering or weathering as it is much easier to remove any mistakes that may spoil the model.

You can see in the photo that these SE5a's are still in the gloss varish state.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    If you're having trouble positioning, try gloss varnishing before you decal - much easier to adjust decals on a smooth surface.
    Excellent advice. Some decals just won't stick to a surface that isn't glossy. Rather than gloss varnish, I (and many other modellers) use Johnson's Klear floor polish, which is much cheaper and already thinned to the right consistency. I keep seeing forum threads suggesting the name has changed or it's been discontinued, but I bought a bottle a few months ago from ASDA, so it's still knocking about.

It's not actually a polish, it's a clear acrylic. I put one thin coat on over the paint and leave it to dry, and that's usually enough for decent decals to stick to. If the decals are being troublesome I dab off the water with a bit of kitchen towel and use neat Klear as glue to stick the decal down. Works every time.

If you're going to use a setting solution like Micro Sol, let the Klear dry thoroughly. The two products don't like each other and form a gooey paste if they mix.

Before you spray on your matt varnish, a final coat of Klear over the decal and surrounding area protects it and helps it look painted-on.

I use Micro-sol and do not normally have a problem, I was just unlucky as to where the letters were placed, and the fact I mucked up one of the two decals and did not have any others, but in fact after looking at the Osprey book they are actually more towards the rear of the plane than on the WOW aircraft, or so I seem to remember.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, but what I really need is an elixer of youth.

Very nice job both of you. I have extras for repainting this winter (assuming all the house stuff gets done so there is room). I was thinking Jasta 5, for the green with red trim tail areas (very Jager-looking), but I may still look for other inspiration.
    Karl

Wonderful looking paint jobs...I bow to the masters ...no time, no patience, no skill

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Unless you go crazy with the fancy freehand artwork there's very little skill needed - it's one reason I like doing them - paint the basic camouflage colours, then decal the rest - beats needing artistic skills....

Similar Missions

1. Jasta "Boelcke" Albatros D3 repaints
    By IRM in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 13:51
  2. WWI Series 4
    By John B in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 17:18
  3. Repaints
    By Von Rotherham in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5