Ares Games

Thread: Belgian Planes?

Default Belgian Planes?

Hello guys,

Does anyone know of anymore Belgian warplanes? I've got one - Sopwith Camel with Belgian markings, just interested if there are any others. I know they flew Caudron (variants: GIII, GIV and RXI's), RE8's, Farman's, BE2's etc. It seems quite a rare faction, and the planes I have mentioned, I can't seem to find any of yet.

Cheers,

Dog of War
    Last edited by Dog of War; 05-16-2016 at 01:14.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

There was a Belgian RE8 in the old Nexus series 3, which occasionally pops up on Ebay, and Coppens' blue Hanriot HD.1 from Ares which you might be able to track down. Beyond that you need to start painting I'm afraid.

Hmmm, thought so. Not afraid to do so, I do have to paint my historical miniatures for other systems. Question though, is it valid if I buy say Airfix miniatures and use them for a stand in for a plane that I already have - I really don't want to over-paint the lovely paint job the planes already have - one frustration with pre-painted miniatures I see.

Dog of War

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

This really isn't an "is it valid" kind of game / community.... Lots of people use third party miniatures, from Red Eagle, Reviresco, Valom, Sram, and 3D printed models from Shapeways. Take a look around the "hobby room" section of the forum and you'll find many many examples.

Cheers. Then I am onto research for paint schemes...

Quote Originally Posted by Dog of War View Post
    Hmmm, thought so. Not afraid to do so, I do have to paint my historical miniatures for other systems. Question though, is it valid if I buy say Airfix miniatures and use them for a stand in for a plane that I already have - I really don't want to over-paint the lovely paint job the planes already have - one frustration with pre-painted miniatures I see.

Dog of War
    Hi Oleksandr!
    This is a fun community more interested in pushing forward the fun for everybody than to use pure army factions.
    If you want a plane or an particular airforce and rules for it, there will be lot of people here more interested in help you achieve it just to see you happy.

Look for the unofficial official planes in the files.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Cheers. Then I am onto research for paint schemes...
    You might want to start here....

http://s696.photobucket.com/user/PLM...?sort=6&page=1

I've got quit a lot of Belgian planes...a couple of Shapeway models and a couple of reprints... Then there is the Olieslagers Camel and the Coppens Hanriot and the official RE8...
    If you want more Belgian Markings try this :

http://www.wwiaviation.com/Belgium.html

There is also a very good book written by Walter Pieters that tells the entire history of the Belgian Airforce in World war I...it is a hefty volume with a hefty price but worth every penny if you are really interested in my Countrymen's exploits in the Great War

You can also have a look at my albums:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/mem...?818-Bluedevil

And I am always available if you heve any questions

@ Dom ...those are the illustrations of Walter Pieters book by J.F. MILLER ?
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 05-17-2016 at 02:54.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil View Post
    @ Dom ...those are the illustrations of Walter Pieters book by J.F. MILLER ?
    I don't own the book (it's on my "one day, when I have money" list....) but as that photobucket account is owned by "Jim Miller", it would make sense.

Dom.

I have the book..and indeed it is expensive, but it is the ultimate volume if you want to know more ( ...let's make that EVERYTHING ) about the Belgian Airforce in WWI.
    Walter Pieters wrote his Magnum opus ...
    I can only recommend it.
    And if the photobucket is owned by Jim Miller ...( I wonder how I could have missed that?)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yeah, definitely on my list, along with the bumper book of Austro-Hungarian biplanes, or whatever it's actually called.... Sadly that sort of volume is well out of my usual price range, but when the heavens align right I'll snap it up - I do have the French book (useful, but can't recommend at the price) and Les Rogers' magnificent British Aviation Squadron Markings (certainly can recommend it, price notwithstanding) so the Pieters book's probably next on my list....
    Last edited by Dom S; 05-17-2016 at 14:52.

Thumbs up

Hello guys,

Does anyone know of anymore Belgian warplanes? I've got one - Sopwith Camel with Belgian markings, just interested if there are any others. I know they flew Caudron (variants: GIII, GIV and RXI's), RE8's, Farman's, BE2's etc. It seems quite a rare faction, and the planes I have mentioned, I can't seem to find any of yet.

Cheers,

Dog of War
    G'day Oleksandr & welcome to the Forum on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW.

Mate why not "Report for Duty" up in the Australian Wing sub forum so other Aussies in your State can welcome you as well!

I have some home made decals you can print on your home computer. All you do is combine them with roundels, valom hanriot kit and/or white stripes. Just let me know?

Name:  2016-05-17 21.01.02-2-1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  175.0 KB
    Name:  2016-05-17 21.05.30.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  176.5 KBName:  2016-05-17 21.02.30.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  190.4 KB

You might like to look at this thread, Oleksandr. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ne-finally-%29

I had no idea the Belgian airforce had so many supporters...Me happy

@Brendon:

Do your home made decals include the white Scottish Thistle and Holly leaf?
    I've been struggling to make those as a decal but so far with ample result...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Home made decals and white are a bad combo. Best bet is surround them with a block of green, matched as closely as possible to your green paint, print on white decal paper, and paint over the edges after it's been applied and set in position on the model.

The thistle was from the valom 1/144 hanriot set. The holly leaf I did myself. I painted the area around it white and placed the the holly leaf on it. I then painted very close to it to still have the white border on it. Things like the bird on the camel I have a green border around the bird so I didn't have to get the paint so close.

I can give you the pdfs of the sheet. All you need to do is print it on decal paper and run with it. I'm using doms decals for most of the roundels and mehusla white stripes and bigger roundels.

The sheets are a little disorganized, because I have done them at different times but I can email it to you. One sheet even has a bunch of Italian hanriot decals on it. I can post a pic later if you want.

Brendon that would be very nice of you...I used the trick with the white paint on some of my SF projects...should have thought of it here too
    Tnx

I will get it ready and send it on saturday.

Similar Missions

1. National: Belgian bombings.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Belgian Wing
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-23-2016, 16:42
  2. WGF Austrian, Belgian, USA planes for trade/sale (from UK, but will ship)
    By Prodromoi in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-14-2015, 06:15
  3. WGF Belgian Pups
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-11-2013, 07:37
  4. Belgian wings
    By Bluedevil in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 11:58