Ares Games

Thread: Very first game

Default Very first game

I just purchased a WoW deluxe starter to bring to the after school game club I host for my hs students. Right out of the box, both the boys and girls were very taken by the game.

Explaining the rules was simple, and they caught on quickly and intuitively. The Dr1, Albatros, and Camel were the kids' first picks, so I saddled up the Spad XIII, and we were off!

First blood went to the Camel, whose pilot cheered ecstatically when she brought down a peppered Albatros. My Spad caught fire and went down as I was removing the last marker (with the Dr1 in sight lined up for the kill). The Camel and Dr1 ended up head to head, and brought each other down simultaneously, which brought a great laugh and release of held breath to the whole table.

They immediately played again (with late-coming onlookers eagerly pairing up to control a plane with the "seasoned vets" of the first sortie). I stepped out to open a seat for another student. Round 2: both Allied planes were victims of the explosions within the first 3 minutes of the game (to the elation of the German pilots).

All were excited to play, and already eager to play again next week (as am I)! Let's just say... I already have more planes on the way

-Encore

sounds like everyone had a good time.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Congratulations on getting people involved. Keep up the good work.

Hi James, I have spotted on ebay a copy of the Burning Drachens boxed set, if you want to add some interesting scenarios for your students to try out.

Good job James and nice accounting of the action. Nice to see kids getting involved in things like this. My daughter and wife love playing also and have gotten my 30 yr old son hooked as well. Keep at it, maybe the school will fund a WWI aircraft themed Prom.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Rolf View Post
    Hi James, I have spotted on ebay a copy of the Burning Drachens boxed set, if you want to add some interesting scenarios for your students to try out.
    I wouldn't mind getting that set; but I'd prefer the Balloon miniatures. Doesn't the current rules have everything necessary for Ballons/Drachens? AA, rockets, incendiary rounds, pilot skills?

Would the box set be worth it just for the cardboard balloons?

LOOP

It is adictive isn't it

Probably one of the best boxed rule sets. Just for the extra damage decks, target cards, tokens and the balloon cards. Not sure if there are maneuver decks in the box too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I wouldn't mind getting that set; but I'd prefer the Balloon miniatures. Doesn't the current rules have everything necessary for Ballons/Drachens? AA, rockets, incendiary rounds, pilot skills?

Would the box set be worth it just for the cardboard balloons?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Probably one of the best boxed rule sets. Just for the extra damage decks, target cards, tokens and the balloon cards. Not sure if there are maneuver decks in the box too.
    'I' and 'J' decks included - ideal if you have a Valom or Shapeways Nieuport 17, or a Shapeways or F-toys Albatros DIII

Also includes the climb and dive cards for decks 'A' to 'H', so you can complete your decks from 'Famous Aces' and 'Watch your Back'

Damage decks 'A', 'C' and 'D', all the the much-more-readable Nexus format, plus the larger and more readable counters from that era (which I greatly prefer over the new RAP ones)

I'm a fan - can you tell?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I'd like to put a bid in but some items on eBay end up ridicules.

That's pretty cool, I didn't think of it doing that at the school....

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by badlands122 View Post
    That's pretty cool, I didn't think of it doing that at the school....
    G'day Ross & welcome to the Forum.

Why not post a "Report for Duty" up in that section so the "Mob" can give you a proper Welcome!

Well done James, kids are deadly in this game, and well done for keeping the boom cards in play. If you don't want them to come out too soon just salt them towards the bottom of the deck.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well done James, kids are deadly in this game, and well done for keeping the boom cards in play. If you don't want them to come out too soon just salt them towards the bottom of the deck.
    Thanks Flash, my students love this game whenever they play it. I agree - having the boom cards in the bottom half is nice to prevent anyone from being knocked out before being able to enjoy the action.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    well done for keeping the boom cards in play. If you don't want them to come out too soon just salt them towards the bottom of the deck.
    SOP in most of my games!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. A 1915 Era Game, and More... at The Family Game Store
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-24-2015, 19:33
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-23-2014, 12:53
  3. eBay Wings of Glory Game Mat Coast Board Game, last one.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 11:22
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 08:49
  5. Amazing 'In-Game' images from a Computer Flight Sim Game
    By usmc1855 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 08:39