Ares Games

Thread: mikeemagnus; trainee pilot

Smile mikeemagnus; trainee pilot

Hello all,

Just a few lines by way of an intro. Name is "Mike" and I'm based in the South West of England: Newton Abbot, Devon to be precise. So if anyone lives in the area, drop me a line - I'd really like to hear from you.

Interest in WGF has only recently taken off! Sad to say, I purchased the first boxed set a few years back and there it sat, unopened, until a couple of months ago. Then, following a rebuke from a mate, I opened it and wished I had done so right from the start. Now, I'm a bit like Toad of Toad Hall, sitting in the middle of the road, whispering poop poop to all in sundry, meaning: "I have a new hobby interest and my poor long suffering wife is already aware of it". My collection of 1/144 scale models is increasing rapidly (although I am totally scared off by prices in excess of £87.00 for one model : ( ) . And I am totally blown away by the historical facts of the period! In the past I avoided too much reading around WW1 'cos I found it all too sad! But the war in the air, although just as sad, is also very exciting, sometimes hilarious, but always full of the most extraordinary acts of bravery, from guys and gals in all nations, both sides. Crazy stuff!!! Regarding my experience with WGF - The mini missions I have completed to date have largely been one to one skirmishes using all three levels of the rules, without having yet introduced two seaters, bombers or "balloons" etc etc. Very simple, yet complex enough to be a lot of fun. I share the interest with a handful of friends and one or two relations, although, with the exception of one, most of these guys are more interested in other periods and have little time to spare (parent hood and work - they always get in the way huh? - says grandad)

Other relevant interests - I have wargamed in many periods since I was a kid (and that was a bit of a time ago now) - mainly Napoleonic (land), ECW (both 25mm - yep 25mm not 28mm - that's how old I am); ACW 15mm and Naval Napoleonic with a home grown set of rules (yes, of course I have a set of Sails of Glory - unopened as yet!!!!). But I also have a collection of figures, in various scales, covering WW1, ancients, 2nd Afghan War, medieval blah, blah, blah - typical wargamer huh, although they are all painted, almost Will I become interested in WGS - I think I better keep very quiet on that one

I'm also a retired re-enactor. Began with the Roundhead Association way back. Progressed through ECWS (Fairfax / Devereuxs) and then, in the early 90's, joined The Troop and did a fair bit of cavalry work (which I loved). Last event on horseback was La Corunna a few years back. Best event of my life - "Charge of the Light Brigade" 2004, as a 17th lancer, in the Crimea - awsome.

If you managed to read this far - thanks Look forward to reading some of your tales too and the amazing amount of material that I notice is on the great site - Cheers

Mike

Welcome to the Aerodrome from Cape Cod!

Lots on this site to drown your appetite. For more scenario ideas check out the OTT campaigns. There are some real winners there.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andrew
    Sorties Flown

Welcome Mike, like you I bought one of the Duel Packs about three years ago but only got seriously into WGF following the Giants Kickstarter. There are still quite a few planes out there to buy without resorting to ridiculous eBay prices.

Thanks for the heads up. Its a lot to take in right now, but yep, I've had a quick look at the section on scenarios ( I think : ) )

Thanks for the welcome - A few??? Lol - my wife already thinks I'm obsessed : ) But you are right. Although there are still a few on eBay that interest me, I think I'll wait a while. Meantime, I noticed, I think on the home page, that reprints of the Nieuport 17 et al were due sometime in 2016. Do you know if that is for certain, or just a possibility?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andrew
    Sorties Flown

Yes I'm just about to fill up my second KR Multicase box which hasn't pleased my wife though in my defence the Giants are pretty much a box on the own. Re the reissues hopefully one of the experienced chaps can answer that.

Well Mike you found your way to the right place on the site.
    I can now formally welcome you to the UK wing on behalf of the Squadrons based here.
    As far as I am personally concerned, my Wargame Armies consist of AWI, 25s, AWC, 15, ECW 25 and 15. and 2o mm Zulu wars.
    I was in ECWS for three years, but found that all the events tended to clash either with my Sealed Knot activities or Wars of the Roses re enactment. Also for about the last 15 years I have been in Lace Wars as a Jacobite sympathizer in Manchester's regiment. Since my eyesight deteriorated I stopped doing Medieval as a blind archer can be a bit of a liability.
    As you can see we have quite a bit in common other than our birth dates.
    I trust we will see you down at the Officer's club in the Forum just down from Hobby room.
    There we can indulge in a bit of banter over a virtual drink or three.
    Till then, fly safe, watch your six and look out for the Hun in the Sun.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I think I need a couple more KR Multicases already, and that's not counting the models I have displayed : ) No point in doing things by halves huh!

Welcome to the 'drome Mike from a now sunny East Sussex, good to have you in the circuit

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Welcome Mike. Enjoy the madness err great hobby that is wings. Now all we need is for you to join some of us over on the Anchorage site too.

Happy flying and sailing. (Apologies Tim..UK Wing in joke which I am sure you will catch up on Mike).
    See you on the Dark Side......

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Mike, from here near Norwich. I do not recommend that you pay the ridiculously high prices that you sometimes see for the early models. There are plenty of other models available to enable you to have a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Happy flying and sailing. (Apologies Tim..UK Wing in joke which I am sure you will catch up on Mike).
    OI!

NO SAILS!!!!!!

You should know better, Neil!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Welcome to the 'Drome, Mike, from Middlesex.

Another re-enactor here; 30 years Early/Mid Medieval, with a bit of spoof 19th Century thrown in.

Too many wargame armies/scales/periods to list, especially since they have all been eclipsed by this great game! WGF for preference, WGS enjoyable but not as good as WW1 from my point of view.
    The less said about that "Other Game" the better (see post above!)

See you in the skies!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Hello again Mike,
    Well I get around is all.
    My background is similar wargames wise, never been a re-enactor as I wore greeen for a living for a while. Retired from that now though almost as long as I was in . My preference is WW1 but like Sails and will play WW2.
    As for aircraft take a look at the AA store here on the forum, nice deals but postage and customs can sometimes bite. In uk take a look at Doms Decals for a reasonable price although I am not too sure of Doms stock currently.
    Next planes out are Neuport Bebe, Phonix, Albatross 2 seaters and Strutters, due this summer, reprints yes due but no date as far as I am aware.
    If you enjoy modelling there are plastic Vellom kits in 1/144 as well as Red Eagle metal kits and 3d printed models from Shapeways.
    If your wife thinks you have an obsession now wait till you see what models you can get.
    If you are up Bristol way especially on a Sunday let me know and we will arrange a game of either WGF or SoG, unlike Tim for me we can do Sails

Many thanks guys. Good to be here. Intrigued by the air / naval rivalry (it was always so - stand up / sit down; hats on / hats off - I don't know : ) Store prices here are good from my point of view and I have grabbed a few already. The carriage to UK only seems to level things up, but is it my imagination or do I seem to pay customs only when models arrive via Royal Mail (together with heafty extra "handling charges"). Haven't experienced that with other carriers.

To the modellers amongst you - I wish I were half as good as some of the examples I've seen here - "wired strutts"???? I don't think I could see them, let alone fit them. But I might try a paint job or two. Thanks for the heads up on the other models that are available. I'll take a sneaky look whilst my better half is out shopping : ) (truth be known, she isn't objecting nearly so much now, bless her - shall I get her involved in a game perhaps? - not a cat in hells chance!!!!).

To the re enactors (assuming the subject isn't taboo) - yes, I miss those (rather drunken) days. No experience with the Sealed knot I'm afraid, but we did have locust (a large piece of their ordinance) in our back garden for a number of years. The local police were quite bemused when I put it on my shotgun licence. Asked me if I had a gun cabinet for it - doh! Got a lovely one gun salute on my 50th though, which seems a long time ago now (well it was idiot!!).

Anyway, blathering as usual. Once again, thanks for the welcome (s) chaps. Going to try a solo now - Moraine S v Eindekker I believe I shall attempt. Chau for now. Mike

Hi Mike, welcome from Essex.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Afternoon one and all. Am I allowed to post a rather flipant account of a trainee pilot's first attempt at a solo mission, which lasted all of six turns? If so, can someone please tell me how to go about it and where it goes, 'cos I haven't the faintest clue. Its on a Libre Office .doc file (freebe version of word for those unfamiliar with Libre Office) with half a dozen pics included. Thanks in advance for any advice given and if I receive a great deal of stony silence, I'll know it is not on : ) Cheers. Mike

You can post here Mike.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/for...Action-Reports

For adding a picture there is a tutorial here.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Text-to-a-post

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

welcome to the drome Mike!!!! sounds like you came pre addicted. thats good as itll save you a lot of time !

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    welcome to the drome Mike!!!! sounds like you came pre addicted. thats good as itll save you a lot of time !
    Ha!....Indeed!

Welcome to the Drome Mike.

Welcome to the Drome Mike now down to the officers club for a pint

Similar Missions

1. South England Trainee pilot with minimal experience
    By bellec in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-14-2016, 03:36
  2. Trainee Disabilites
    By Bobit in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-23-2013, 01:45