Ares Games

Thread: RAF SE 5a Pitot tube

Default RAF SE 5a Pitot tube

I have noticed that the WoW SE 5a miniatures have pitot tubes on both outer wing struts. All the images and references that I have seen only have the pitot tubes on the right wing strut (from pilots perspective).

Just making sure I'm correct before I go and snap off the pitot tubes on left wing struts.

Thanks,
    Bryan

This photo shows only one pitot tube, on the starboard side:

http://www.ukskies.co.uk/R/images/RA...20-%20SE5a.jpg

However, I believe this is a replica... caveat emptor

But then again, this one in the Science Museum would seem to confirm Starboard only:

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/imag...5/10216079.jpg

I have just checked all the photos I have on SE5s and where they can be seen all have the Pitot tubes on the right hand side of the pilot.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

...out with the scalpel

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    ...out with the scalpel
    As soon as you snip it off and throw it away you will find several examples of tubes on both wings...just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    As soon as you snip it off and throw it away you will find several examples of tubes on both wings...just saying
    Ah, but with any luck he will be flying the repaints that don't.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I have just checked all the photos I have on SE5s and where they can be seen all have the Pitot tubes on the right hand side of the pilot.
    Rob.

Better talk to the RAF Museum Rob, theirs is on the left-hand side Athough all other references suggest it was on the right.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Better talk to the RAF Museum Rob, theirs is on the left-hand side Athough all other references suggest it was on the right.
    Well spotted Major, I will take them to task imediately for allowing non standard War Office modifications.
    Kyte.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Erm... What's a pitot tube?

Attachment 1219
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rotherham View Post
    Erm... What's a pitot tube?
    Its the fingy wot gives the pilot his air speed wosname init.
    Rob.Attachment 1219
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pitot.jpg  
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 10-26-2010 at 11:37.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Attachment 1219
    Rob.Attachment 1219
    Ah right, fanks Rob!

Attachment 1219
    Rob.
    Ah, so it's not down to the observer screaming when the pilot is too fast or too slow after all

Ah, so it's not down to the observer screaming when the pilot is too fast or too slow after all
    Well actually in our case, yes Gunners, I'm afraid it is. Bumblie nicked ours to make that still.
    Rob.

At least they've gone to a better place

I thought the pilot wet his finger and held it up to see how fast or slow he was going...

At least they've gone to a better place
    Don't know yet old bean. Don't forget we haven't seen his end product yet. Heaven help us.
    Rob.

Off wi their 'eads! ...er pitots that is... wouldn't mind seeing the results of a modification here???

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Off wi their 'eads! ...er pitots that is... wouldn't mind seeing the results of a modification here???
    A quick snip, rub and dab et voila:

Last edited by Strangely Brown; 10-26-2010 at 16:56. Reason: Removal of image

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    A quick snip, rub and dab et voila:
    Would that we could remove their heads as easily as that. It would make the planes look so much better with another make of pilot installed in the cockpit. Just another case of Nexus not knowing what the groundswell of feeling is.
    Rob.

"Would that we could remove their heads as easily as that. It would make the planes look so much better with another make of pilot installed in the cockpit. Just another case of Nexus not knowing what the groundswell of feeling is.
    Rob."

Rob,

I agree re: the pilots. Series II and III weren't too bad. Series IV pilots look like little black blobs. I would almost have preferred Series I with no pilots. It would be nice to know if anyone from Nexus looks at this site. I rarely go to Nexus' site anymore since it seems "childish" to me.

I agree re: the pilots. Series II and III weren't too bad. Series IV pilots look like little black blobs. I would almost have preferred Series I with no pilots. It would be nice to know if anyone from Nexus looks at this site. I rarely go to Nexus' site anymore since it seems "childish" to me.
    There was an opinion some time ago that the boys at Nexus were too busy with all their other lines to keep visiting sites checking on the varied and often at odds requirements of the players. I think that if we could have a consensus of opinion about the most important matter to us all and then E-mail Nexus, it may help.
    With so many varied interests on here it is not going to happen, or is it?
    Rob.

Default Roger that!

I agree re: the pilots. Series II and III weren't too bad. Series IV pilots look like little black blobs. I would almost have preferred Series I with no pilots.
    For sure, if this is the best Nexus can do regarding pilots, it would be better to revert to no pilot at all, so we can add our own from other sources. Having tried to remove one of the blobs from a Pfalz, it's definitely a case of "Never again"