Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So its May, what are you working on?

Default So its May, what are you working on?

No one started this for May? May I? My bench is full of shipping bits . . .

And ship-ping bits:

The next project is the USS Lexington et all. . . any one for a 1/200" scale foam board carrier kit? I am cutting out a few . . . (they mail out cheaper flat!)

I'll be making 4 kits . . . May Day! May Day!

4 kits? There were only two _Lexington_-class CVs (namesake, and _Saratoga_).... ;)

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

If I were into WW2 Pacific, I'd love a Lexington, but alas, the Pacific Theater is not my 'thing'...but I am absolutely SURE you won't have any problems getting rid of the extras...

I am trying to finish up a counters box for Tim (Flying Helmut) - I thought I would be done by now, but my wife's ACL surgery has slowed things down a bit...

I'm also trying to repaint a Rahn triplane, along with a couple of other triplanes for other members of the unit, to get them more like the correct scheme for planes in Jasta 19 - I will post pics as they get finished up in the next week or so.

Keep inspiring us with your sterling efforts, David - I love seeing what you are making!

All the best,
    Matt

Just finished up the final Devastators so now I have 6. Working on a group of Oscars and Dauntless dive bombers.

Have a couple of scenarios to touch up for Huzzah next weekend and of course the opening scenario for The Bitter End campaign.

Do spreadsheets and databases count? Right now, I'm penciling out some ideas for an Ares WGF-specific adaptation of The Aerodrome's aces database hoping they'll consider it worth *paying* me to develop...

1865 individual aces at up to 17 levels and a dozen aircraft each, no way in HELL am I doing all that work for free. It's an idea I'm willing to pursue, but it'll be so many hours of work in construction I damn well better be paid for it even if only at a Pro Forma hourly rate if I do. BTW, Herr Oberst, if Ares declines the offer I would be willing to build such a project as a Member Resource for this site... then if Ares wants the access they can reimburse you.

EDIT: I don't mean to be a douche, but building an Excel spreadsheet and debugging the code in it is neither easy nor quick--and once you have the data assembled, transcribing and recoding it for Web application makes the initial build the "easy part."
    Last edited by Diamondback; 05-07-2016 at 16:41.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Smile

Still working on my second Shapeways FE 2b. Got the PC 10 & under wing CDL done but needs some "touch up" under wings & then do all the wood boom, engine & crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    EDIT: I don't mean to be a douche, but building an Excel spreadsheet and debugging the code in it is neither easy nor quick--and once you have the data assembled, transcribing and recoding it for Web application makes the initial build the "easy part."
    As an ex-IT engineer, I feel for you. I understand the level of work required to build these sorts of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Just finished up the final Devastators so now I have 6.
    Did you try out my cards for the Devis?

For me, I'm in the virtual world too. Still plodding on (re)designing models of WWII planes for Shapeways, between the tremors, shakes and my hands playing up.
    I love undo buttons, paint brushes should come with them.

My workbench is ....cluttered. Trying to actually finish a few things that have been in progress for longer than I'd care to admit due to a multiplicity of factors (aka excuses, primarily having the attention span of a gnat.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160508_082840.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	195864

Did someone say Lexington?

Name:	20160508_082830.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	195865

Backdated into her late prewar trim, 8 inch turrets proudly bristling with menace. I shall finish her one day.....

So what scale is the Lexington? It looks marvelous!

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    As an ex-IT engineer, I feel for you. I understand the level of work required to build these sorts of things.
    Thanks, amigo--this project is one I consider worth doing and am interested in, but the sheer scale of it is something where I can't *afford* the loss of billable hours to take it on unless someone's paying me for it, even if I only ask my lowest Pro Forma hourly rate.

The idea is a one-stop reference resource slicing each ace's career up by Ares's levels, assessing their known abilities from current ace cards and trying to fill in the blanks for unreleased levels, along with released and unreleased aircraft for that ace and his notable opponents at that level including cataloging color profiles from Osprey, Squadron/Signal etc. as appropriate.

Something like...
    Ace Level Start Date End Date Abilities Released A/C Unreleased A/C
    & Color Profiles
    Released Opponents Unreleased Opponents
    Richthofen, M. von 2 11.20.16 12.27.16 Sniper
    Super Ace
    WGF114 Alb. D.II Hawker, Lanoe G (Level 1 DH2) Knight, Arthur (Level 1 DH2)

This is just a boilerplate sample... and admittedly an incomplete one, but enough to give a rough idea. Now imagine that for each of 1865 aces, each of whom have *at least* two levels like that (including "Before They Were Aces" Level Zero), and... even without filling in the blanks on the Ace abilities outside existing cards it's gonna be a BIG job.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 05-08-2016 at 15:32.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    So what scale is the Lexington? It looks marvelous!
    Trumpeter 1/350 with aftermarket resin and photoetch bits. Scratchbuilt hangar deck. Slow and steady.
    Last edited by BB401; 05-08-2016 at 12:09.

This bad boy has finally made it to the top of my painting pile - A Short Empire flying boat from HBM with a few mods:

Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

LOOP

My list is long but my aim is modest.
    I will be satified if I can finish my Shapeway FE2b

Planes and targets for Origins, as soon as I get back from a family reunion.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Project Flying Tigers is off and running now here. After a few weeks of research I have compiled the needed aircraft to represent the short history of these brave troops. One mini I did not find out there is the C-46 Commando, and with the elves otherwise occupied with the new carrier project, I have had to make a stand in until they get the logjam clear . . .

I'm working on a Otto Kissenberth Camel repaint, a Joseph Jacobs Dr.I repaint, a Sopwith Pup Valom kit, and a Shapeways F.E.8. Will post pics in the painting forum when they are finished. I just printed my decals for the first two, next step is to seal them and then apply them.

Hello all, nice projects and good to see everyone still working hard. Been on 'vacation' from the internet for a bit but still playing. I have been doing 28mm WW2 lately and here is a small taste of my work.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_1_DSCF0028 (640x209).jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	196080 Sorry that it doesn't fly, or not WW1, but it's what I've been up to. Good to see you all still hanging out, The new planes look terrific.

Well....I was searching for this post to add to it, but it seemed awfully large for just being the early part of the month. Clipper had a ton of posts with great stuff as well. I know he is fast but I thought "by God, we are only 12 days into the Month!" It was then I realized I was looking at March's workbench post! Luckily I caught myself before I posted and made a giant fool of myself. I just love getting older...but It beats the alternative so I'll just go with it.

Now If I remember correctly, I have been working on some planes and also got caught up into a new game. Its an Old West shoot-em-up game called Desperado. The Business, Knuckleduster miniatures, is located about a half hour from me, which is a bad thing in my case! It is a 28mm Cowboy game and is a hoot to play. I swore after my high School days of D&D I was done painting figures....DAMN. The Buildings are all wood construction and are real fun to build and decorate. All the roofs come off so you can move the figs around in the buildings. Maybe I will post some more if anyone is interested and I can remember what month it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160510_110214_resized.jpg   20160510_110430_resized.jpg  

That looks so much fun Jim. its good sometimes to break away from traditional games and modeling and just go dare i say it Wild.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Finally finished a trio of AEG J1

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Oh I like those - not exactly a model you see every day either.

Lovely! Makes me want to start painting again.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Good job Chris.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Love those AEGs, Chris! Ready for action... And while the cowboys/Wild West venue is very tempting, I will not let myself succumb - but the buildings and miniatures are lovely...

All the best,
    Matt

Very nice AEGs Chris. What make are these?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Pretty sure they're Shapeways prints.

Users Country Flag

Name
    SImon
    Sorties Flown

I have a couple of Valom SE5a's on the go and I'm trying to complete my first ever 144 paper model of an Eindecker.
    I need to work out how I create cards for these guys as well...

Hi Peter, Dom is correct, they are Shapeways 1/144 from Daryl of Reduced Aircraft Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Hi Peter, Dom is correct, they are Shapeways 1/144 from Daryl of Reduced Aircraft Factory
    Thanks. Ok...jot this one down for a Shapeways purchase.

Users Country Flag

Name
    SImon
    Sorties Flown

Name:	1463432264758498715933.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	196607
    The tiny workbench. I started the hansa tonight too as it looked so different. Seems massive though...

I'm still working on the color and paint-matching project (it's hard to find good PC10 matches in hobby paints!), and on the virtual desktop I've just put into beta testing a 1917 model SPAD 13 with rounded wingtips. And there's a big box full of test prints from Shapeways that's bound to show up...some day now.

Name:	SPAD13-early-1sm.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	196612 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPAD13-early-2sm.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	196613

Default Old West Town

Here are some more shots of the Cowboy town. I am almost done with the last building and then I get to spend more hours painting (and not playing) figures. Whoopee! The game is called Desperado, but these buildings and figs will work in pretty much any Old west game out there, which is a nice option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160517_121358_resized.jpg   20160517_121132_resized.jpg   20160517_121202_resized.jpg   20160517_121225_resized.jpg   20160517_121308_resized.jpg  

Jim these are awesome! My daughter, (now grownup!) is an archaeologist specializing on frontier homesteads, she recently excavated a two story out-house built onto an old hotel! That would be a fun addition . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    I'm still working on the color and paint-matching project (it's hard to find good PC10 matches in hobby paints!), and on the virtual desktop I've just put into beta testing a 1917 model SPAD 13 with rounded wingtips. And there's a big box full of test prints from Shapeways that's bound to show up...some day now.

Name:	SPAD13-early-1sm.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	196612 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPAD13-early-2sm.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	196613

Lovely! Now to the cart . . . I need a sale based on pure weight!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

After I have uploaded my 150 photos to Airliners.Net and logged just over a month's worth of aircraft spotting sightings ... The man cave is empty!

I am slowly getting some ideas as to a WGS repaint or two which are both Airfix 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk IXs which I would like to recreate for the game: I will wait until Mark gets a pair of these aircraft in at Galactic Models and buy the required from him. The inspiration behind this idea is that two of the existing Spitfire Mk IX are 1/72 scale Airfix kits which I built as a result. So let's reverse roles to the same extent - just hope my paints have not dried up!

Jim these are awesome! My daughter, (now grownup!) is an archaeologist specializing on frontier homesteads, she recently excavated a two story out-house built onto an old hotel! That would be a fun addition . . . .
    They actually make a model of a two story outhouse I am thinking about getting. I saw a show where some treasure hunters would go around and excavate old privys and find all sorts of neat things that were dropped, watches, jewelry and even guns.

Quote Originally Posted by prymus View Post
    Hello all, nice projects and good to see everyone still working hard. Been on 'vacation' from the internet for a bit but still playing. I have been doing 28mm WW2 lately and here is a small taste of my work.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_1_DSCF0028 (640x209).jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	196080 Sorry that it doesn't fly, or not WW1, but it's what I've been up to. Good to see you all still hanging out, The new planes look terrific.
    You did a great job painting those Germans William.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Nowotny View Post
    They actually make a model of a two story outhouse I am thinking about getting. I saw a show where some treasure hunters would go around and excavate old privys and find all sorts of neat things that were dropped, watches, jewelry and even guns.
    Indeed, the toilet pit was where the settlers would toss their valuables if they were being attacked by hostiles. If they survived they would recover them, if not . . . my daughter does! Her coolest find was a Chinese apothecary with all kinds of hazardous chemicals, powders and liquids-lots of mercury for dental applications, YIKES! She often works in hazmat suits! Funny when she was a little kid she spent a lot of time in the sandbox . . .

...and I am reminded of how I totally screwed up the ending of the _Space: 1889_ campaign _Beastmen of Mars_ using only a Reid's "My Friend" .32 Knuckleduster pistol, a jar of petroleum jelly, and the fact that primitive cultures have no knowledge of the term "body cavity search"....

(This is also why no one who knows me ever accuses me of "pulling things out of my a**".... >:) )

Users Country Flag

Name
    SImon
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Si-2 View Post
    I have a couple of Valom SE5a's on the go and I'm trying to complete my first ever 144 paper model of an Eindecker.
    I need to work out how I create cards for these guys as well...
    Here it is. Just got to add a prop and pilot and done.

Name:	2016-05-18 23.20.49.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	553.0 KB 
ID:	196751
    I also made up a few more damage decks as one is never enough when we play with six.

Name:	20160518_190257.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	196752

Good job Simon

Indeed, the toilet pit was where the settlers would toss their valuables if they were being attacked by hostiles. If they survived they would recover them, if not . . . my daughter does! Her coolest find was a Chinese apothecary with all kinds of hazardous chemicals, powders and liquids-lots of mercury for dental applications, YIKES! She often works in hazmat suits! Funny when she was a little kid she spent a lot of time in the sandbox . . .
    Can you spot the four holer Dave?

Name:	IMG_2557.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	196780

Yes there it is.

Name:	IMG_2558.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	196781

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

On a much sweeter note, you have made a very good job of that Eindecker Simon.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Can you spot the four holer Dave?
    Ha, I'm guessing that's a use of limber rider figures that the maunfacturer didn't think of....

Actually no Dom.
    It's a set of chaps at the toilet by Peter Pig.

60. Infantry being rude
    Painted by Scott MacPhee, Coeur d'Alene. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rude_Infantry_small.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	196783

Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Ha, good old Piggy.... Never spotted that pack, although I should've guessed, as I have some of their Napoleonics....

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Last report from this direction reported Man Cave was empty and I was busy uploading 150 photos of very heavy metal to Airliners.Net ...

All done and so I have kitted myself out with 2 x Kuznetsov Hawker Hurricane Mk IIs and two Dewoitine D.520Cs as seen going cheap at Spirit Games during today's visit. I have German Luftwaffe Dewoitine D.520s in mind for those which will entail a total repaint into the same colour scheme from two different versions of this aircraft.

The Hurricanes may be painted green / grey after research confirms that this is historically correct: Only ever seen Hurricane Mk IIc aircraft armed with four cannons protruding from the wings carrying these colours. Or I could just simply paint them both all-over black and model these on Hawker Hurricane Mk II night fighters - I have the Corgi version of one and so I will dig this up in case the green/grey idea proves to be a no-go.

Been dared to paint at least one into OFC: Oil Flying Corps colours ... Let me just see if I am able to park this Zeppelin Staaken which has also rolled in today (my first / WOW!) Before I tend to any other matters. In a 10 ft x 12 ft box room already full of airliners and other this is proving to be a bit harder than was originally thought ...

"Oil Flying Corps"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Working on something...
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 12-05-2015, 16:05
  2. stuff I have been working on..
    By rote Flügel in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 06:16