Ares Games

Thread: The Battle of Britain - from the German point of view.

Default The Battle of Britain - from the German point of view.

There is a television programme tonight (Friday 6th May) at 10 p.m. on the U.K. t.v. channel called Yesterday (channel 19) about the Battle of Britain from the German point of view.

Thanks Dave.
    I'll put it on to record.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Lots of film taken bobbing about in a dinghy then ? Thanks for the heads up David.

"He is wise who watches"

Good call Off to set the recorder.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

If anyone missed it, it may be viewed online at http://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/bat.../watch-online/ for the next 29 days.

Interesting points of view, especially from the captured Greman fighter pilots and the surviving RAF fighter pilots. Don' dive after 109's or your engine cuts out and they are too fast in the dive to catch anyways. Only109 disadvantage I could see was lack of combat time due to fuel restrictions.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Watched it this am whilst recovering from a bike ride - Interesting programme, good to hear the opinions of a couple of top German pilots Hajo Hermann (d: 5 Nov 2010) & Hans Ekkehard Bob (d:12 Aug 2013)

"He is wise who watches"

Sadly I am not allowed to watch. "This video you are trying to watch cannot be viewed from your current country or location."

Maybe to see anything "From the German point of view" you should see it from Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Interesting points of view, especially from the captured Greman fighter pilots and the surviving RAF fighter pilots. Don' dive after 109's or your engine cuts out and they are too fast in the dive to catch anyways. Only109 disadvantage I could see was lack of combat time due to fuel restrictions.
    I read somewhere years ago that in order to dive after a Me109 you had to roll the Spit or Hurri onto it's back and dive inverted otherwise the float in the carburettor shut off the fuel flow due to gravity hence the engine cutting out. I think that's what it said anyway, it was a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring-Chicken View Post
    I read somewhere years ago that in order to dive after a Me109 you had to roll the Spit or Hurri onto it's back and dive inverted otherwise the float in the carburettor shut off the fuel flow due to gravity hence the engine cutting out. I think that's what it said anyway, it was a long time ago.
    That's more or less what what the pilot said in the programme - the 109 could just nose down as it had direct injection but because the Spits & Hurris had Carbs if they tried to the negative G pushed the floats in the carbs to the top and flooded the engine with fuel so it basically choked, blew black smoke & by the time it cleared itself (only a few seconds later) the 109 was long gone. The half roll would counter that but again I guess by the time you've done that the 109 may still have an unassailable lead ? It would be interesting to see that idea worked into a game.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Battle of Britain
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-04-2015, 01:42
  2. Battle of Britain
    By fox in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 09:02
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 11:21