Ares Games

Thread: South Carolina here.. "wedgefield" Near Sumter/ Shaw AFB /Columbia S.C.

Swedge

Default South Carolina here.. "wedgefield" Near Sumter/ Shaw AFB /Columbia S.C.

Just stumbled on to this game as my not so local game store had a Lancaster collecting dust on the shelf. Since i am an aircraft fanatic AND miniature games fan i picked it up and was impressed by the detail but was dismayed that that they didn't have a Starter kit, but I found one on ebay and started purchasing aircraft from all over the web.. Now I am looking for local folks to fly with/against. I live in Wedgefield South Carolina. Its near Columbia and Shaw AFB. I am retired Airforce spent 24 years as an Aircraft mechanic "Crew Chief". I have a few questions about the game. Do I need or should i get multiples of aircraft? How does one "Balance" the playing field? As in P-51 Vs say a BF-110? I know some games have a points system. Also is there anything that i NEED like certain kits or aircraft? Thanks.. Oh is wings of War compatible? as i see that stuff occasionally in my searches.. Thanks again for any and all info...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Swedge View Post
    Just stumbled on to this game as my not so local game store had a Lancaster collecting dust on the shelf. Since i am an aircraft fanatic AND miniature games fan i picked it up and was impressed by the detail but was dismayed that that they didn't have a Starter kit, but I found one on ebay and started purchasing aircraft from all over the web.. Now I am looking for local folks to fly with/against. I live in Wedgefield South Carolina. Its near Columbia and Shaw AFB. I am retired Airforce spent 24 years as an Aircraft mechanic "Crew Chief". I have a few questions about the game. Do I need or should i get multiples of aircraft? How does one "Balance" the playing field? As in P-51 Vs say a BF-110? I know some games have a points system. Also is there anything that i NEED like certain kits or aircraft? Thanks.. Oh is wings of War compatible? as i see that stuff occasionally in my searches.. Thanks again for any and all info...
    G'day Wayne & welcome to the world of Wings of War/Glory on behalf of the Pilots who fly in New South Wales down in Australia.
    Yes mate WoG & WoW are completely compatible. Grab any of the WoW minis you can find as they are very hard to get. Ares who now produce WoG intend to reprint the original models & there is a Battle of Britain box set due for release later this year.

You will find the forum full of great folk who will be only too happy to help you with any queries. There is a Points system which you can access from the WW2 section of the Forum.
    There is a "Player Locator" site available on the US section.

Keith Upton who own's the site also runs the Aerodrome Store & sells the models & other Game Aids. There is a link up on the top bar of the home pages.

Hello Wayne - welcome to the 'drome from here in a sunny (for a change) UK

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Wayne, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

Wings of War material is compatible with Wings of Glory. They are the same game. Ares Games, the current manufacturers, changed the name when they took it over from the previous manufacturers, Nexus. Wings of Glory- First World War (WGF) is substantially different from Wings of Glory- Second World War (WGS).

There are three or four differently painted models of each small WW2 plane and two differently painted models of each larger plane. If you wish to buy duplicates so that you can repaint one, that is up to you.

If you explore the files section on this website, you will find much to help you with this game including a points table assessing the different strengths of each plane but in reality planes were seldom evenly matched. There is also a list giving statistics for many planes that have not yet been produced as Ares models, so it is possible to use a model of the correct scale for WGS (1:200) from another manufacturer or a scratch built model. However, there may be a problem obtaining the correct manoeuvre deck because they only come with the official models or in the old Nexus rule boxes or expansion card packs. Some of the older models like Grumman Wildcats, Spitfire I & II's and Me-109E's are out of print and very difficult to find. They can sell for exorbitant prices online. However, they should be available again soon because Ares have promised Battle of Britain and Battle of Midway starter packs. The Aerodrome Store (link at the top of the page) is a good source of models and accessories.

Similar Missions

1. National: The "Jets" Expansion - I Jet "fantasmi" della WWII
    By Mad Charly in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-01-2016, 00:31
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2015, 07:12
  3. National: 4 NUOVE ESPANSIONI "CUSTOM" per "Wing of Glory"
    By mumo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-09-2013, 12:58
  4. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39