Ares Games

Thread: Mission 21 Strafe the Trenches

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Cool Mission 21 Strafe the Trenches

A lone figure stands at the edge of a fog covered meadow facing east.
    (Cue Music-M.A.S.H. Theme)
    The false dawn of a new day, another day at war, is rapidly approaching. Quietly a figure, Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker, comes to a stop next to his pilot.
    [I]"Through early morning fog I see
    Visions of the things to be
    The pains that are withheld from me
    I realize and I can see..."[I]
    (Fade Music)

Eddie Rickenbacker: Do you mind if I join you?
    Larry Callahan: Hello Cap.
    E.R.: You are up awful early.
    L.C.: I've been a little restless lately.
    E.R.: I've noticed. Is there anything you need to talk about or I can do for you?
    L.C.: I don't know.
    E.R.: Do you need some time away?
    L.C.: I don't think that will help.
    I've been having a strange feeling, a "vision" maybe.
    E.R.: Can you describe it?
    L.C.: It's all kind of hazy, not all there, just pieces that don't seem to fit. It's almost as if I'm moving in a fog, like out there.
    E.R.: What can try see?
    L.C.: I see myself leaving here and not coming back. I see myself in a sword fight with a giant of a man. I see lightning flashing around me, things busting, exploding.
    (Music volume increases slightly)
    L.C.: Do I sound crazy? Am I going nuts? I mean, I feel like someone is out there watching me, waiting, plotting.
    E.R.: You have been here for several months. During that time we have lost friends, good friends, people we have grown to trust and count on like brothers. That can be hard on a guy.
    I even question my own mortality before I fly.
    I have you on the roster to fly today, do you want me to take your name off the list and you go talk to the Doc for a bit?
    L.C.: No thanks, I'll be fine once I get in the air. It's just the early morning and the waiting.
    E.R.: You will be flying with Major Barker's group. Are you sure you are capable?
    L.C.: I will be ready and eager for the hunt.
    E.R.: OK. See you in a couple of hours at the briefing. And let's keep this to ourselves, you know pilots can be a very superstitious bunch. I wouldn't want you to spook anyone.
    (Music Volume Crescendoes)

0630 Briefing

E.R.: Gentlemen, I would like to pass on a message from Command. It says, and I quote, "Congratulations on your hunt for the Red Baron. Now that you have found his aerodrome location, consider him a tārget of opportunity."
    OK, Gentlemen. Now that we know where the Baron is, we are being given other missions to pursue.
    Today we have been asked to takeout a section of the Huns trenchline from here to here. We will use four planes, two for ground attack and two for top cover.
    Major Barker, you will take 2Lts Gordon, Griese, and Fogg with you today. You can decide who does what in your group. I know I had 2Lt Callahan in your group today, but special orders arrived for him about an hour ago. 2Lt Callahan front and center.
    E.R.: (whispers) You are right you are not coming back.
    E.R.: Gentlemen, wish 2Lt Callahan well. He is being sent to a new unit and is going to be leaving here today as soon as his replacement shows up. Unfortunately Larry, we were not given sufficient notice to be able to give you a proper send off. I don't know who you have peeved off or whose eye you caught. Be careful and watch your six. You will be taking a Camel with you when you go. Use it well.
    E.R.: Gentlemen, the Huns are up to something. Our spies report increases in movement all along the front. We will use what planes are left and work in two groups of two, spreading out just far enough to give us maximum coverage, but still be able to help each other as needed.
    You have your assignments. Dismissed.

Major Barker reporting:
    We approached the trenchline two by two, with 2Lt. Griese and Fogg going in low and myself and 2Lt. Gordon providing top cover. We saw three Albatross D.III approaching in a spread formation with the Tri-Color winged one slightly behind the other two.
    Attachment 195642Attachment 195643
    As 2Lt. Griese and Fogg made their turn to start the run on the trenches, 2Lt. Gordon exchanged fire with the Red Albatross. I couldn't get a shot. Gordon(1,2GJ) Red Albatross-Sgt. Osterwich(1,0GJ) Attachment 195644Attachment 195645
    2Lt. Fogg started firing at the trenchline(2,GJ) and was fired at from below (1). 2Lt. Griese also took a shot at the trenchline (0) but seemed to miss as the Tan Albatross-Cpl Apfelbaum fired at him(0,0GJ)Attachment 195646
    2Lt. Griese fired at the trench (3) again and also took return fire (3) before silencing the first emplacement. The second trench got a shot off at 2Lt. Fogg(1) as he cleared the area to unjam his guns.Attachment 195647Attachment 195648
    2Lt. Griese hit the next trench in line(1) while avoiding fire(0). 2Lt. Gordon and myself tried to get in position for a shot at the Albs, but we're finding it difficult to get any angle on them. 2Lt. Griese proceeded to the next trench (3) and received return fire from two directions (0)(0).Attachment 195649Attachment 195650
    2Lt. Griese KO'd the third trench (4) and moved on to the fourth trench(2) as he again took return fire(2).Attachment 195651Attachment 195652
    I finally got in position on the Tan Albs tail and sent fabric and wood flying. I also saw the Pilot jerk uncontrollably as well.(0,5P)Attachment 195653
    The next couple of minutes everything was a furball. I hit the Tan Alb again and it disintegrated in a ball of fire in front of me. (1,EXP). 2Lt. Gordon hit the Tri-Co Alb(1,NRR). 2Lt. Fogg having unjammed his guns came back at the fourth trench (2) while taking damage (3,ENG) from the Red Albatross. 2Lt. Griese was shot āt by the last trench position missing him (0).Attachment 195654
    2Lt. Fogg (EXP) was unlucky as the Red Alb hit something vital and his plane exploded. I fired at the offending Albvatross hitting it squarely (3P). 2Lt. Gordon hit the Tri-Co Alb(4) again as a trench shot at him missing (0).Attachment 195655Attachment 195656Attachment 195657Attachment 195658
    2Lt. Gordon took a shot at the Tri-Co Alb(0) as he was hit by a trench (3). The Tri-Co Alb hit me goods (2,2FLM).
    2Lt. Gordon took a shot at the Red Albatross(5P) sending it crashing to the ground below. He took damage from the ground in return(2). 2Lt. Griese shot at another trench missing but took damage in return (1FLM).Attachment 195659
    Everyone separated and we limped back home.Attachment 195660
    Butcher's Bill

Entente:
    Left to right in picture
    Major Barker RTB 9dmg 1 Kill(CPL. Apfelbaum)
    2Lt. James Gordon RTB WIA 14dmg 1 Kill(Sgt. Osterwich)
    2Lt. Allen Griese RTB WIA 11dmg 2 trenches killed pulled 8-0's
    2Lt. Phinneas Fogg SD EXP ET
    Central Powers
    Left to right in picture
    Cpl. John Apfelbaum SD EXP WIA FT
    Sgt. Olaf Osterwich SD KIA (2pilot wounds) FT 1 Kill(2Lt. Fogg)
    Lt. Werner Voss RTB 5dmg

Attachment 195661Attachment 195662

VP
    Entente 30 points
    Central Powers 50 points
    Last edited by Setarius; 05-05-2016 at 21:33. Reason: add commentary

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

The preamble to this mission is the lead in to mission #22 and the Bitter End Campaign. 2Lt. Larry Callahan will be participating in mission #22 and will be one of the starting pilots for the BEC.

Nicely done Dale, that was quite a brawl over the trenches !

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

LOOP

Great fight Dale. I think the german pilots did well against bad ods. The Camel is a deadly kite

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT ED Mission 21---Strafe the Trenches...teaticket
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-30-2016, 20:25
  2. AAR OTTTEY Mission 21 Strafe the Trenches
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-11-2016, 03:53
  3. BRF OTT ED Mission 21---Strafe the Trenches---gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-10-2016, 09:44
  4. AAR OTT ED Mission 21--Strafe the Trenches---gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-02-2016, 12:45
  5. AAR Mission 21 - Strafe the Trenches. (52 Squadron Bulldogs)
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-01-2016, 14:43