Ares Games

Thread: Kayaba Ka-1 Autogyro

Default Kayaba Ka-1 Autogyro

Just discovered I don't have this beauty in my collection! I don't think we have any rules for rotor wing minis!?

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Just discovered I don't have this beauty in my collection! I don't think we have any rules for rotor wing minis!?

Nope -- but looking at Francillon, some possible rules:

-- Unit may perform two Steep maneuvers in a row. [Side Note: Apparently, the Ka-1 could "hover" if one kicked the nose up 15 degrees.]
    -- Speed will be appalling slow -- X[n], if that. However, sharp turns should be non-Steep.
    -- Firepower is effectively nonexistent, at least for air combat; the Ka-1's only armament was a pair of 132-lb. depth charges.
    -- HP in single-digits; max. wgt. was just over 2,500 lbs.

Oh, and if you're making Ka-1s, you'll need one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japane...er_Akitsu_Maru , and a few of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokusai_Ki-76 .

Video of Ka-1, including _Akitsu Maru_: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EFt7cLCRSY .
    Last edited by csadn; 05-06-2016 at 14:20.

Very good footage and thanks for the info and links. Neat little ships and useful planes too. Interesting that both ships in the class were torpedoed and sunk by US submarines given that their air complement was anti submarine. I wonder how hard it is to fly one of those autogyros in comparison to a normal plane or helicopter

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Very good footage and thanks for the info and links. Neat little ships and useful planes too. Interesting that both ships in the class were torpedoed and sunk by US submarines given that their air complement was anti submarine.
    The Japanese feared US subs, and for good reason -- Japanese sub-hunting gear Sucked Out Loud. The only reason US subs weren't far more effective was the infamous FUBAR involving the assumption that Pacific Ocean water was the same as Atlantic Ocean water.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I wonder how hard it is to fly one of those autogyros in comparison to a normal plane or helicopter
    Francillon's book reports the Ka-1's flight characteristics were insanely good -- a very short (98') takeoff run with no wind; capacity to "hover" (put the nose up 15 deg., and firewall the throttle), and perform a 360-deg. turn while so doing; and no real vices. Apart from being too small to carry depth charges and a second crewman at once, it was a useful unit.

An interesting aircraft I've not heard of; not sure about it's use in WGS, but interesting. Thanks for the new info, David.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    The Japanese feared US subs, and for good reason -- Japanese sub-hunting gear Sucked Out Loud. The only reason US subs weren't far more effective was the infamous FUBAR involving the assumption that Pacific Ocean water was the same as Atlantic Ocean water.
    I hadn't read anything about water quality differences in WW2; I thought it was the infamous torpedo issues.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I hadn't read anything about water quality differences in WW2; I thought it was the infamous torpedo issues.
    Karl
    Yeah -- misprint on my part; I typed "water" instead of "warhead" (one of the *many* problems was a difference in density between dummy 'heads and actual 'heads).